Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Jaysus, nearly had the virtual head bitten off me over on the weather forum for suggesting that weather nerds were making a bit of a big deal about this. You’d think we were about to enter another ice age by the way some of them are going on, and not facing into a few days of slushy snow and cold temperatures. There’ll be loads of people working through all this, while taking fairly reasonable precautions. Stocking up on gas cannisters, torches, and candles seems a bit much. It’s not a war time raid on London, or the Day After Tomorrow. Think some folk are getting into Ray Myers or Bear Grylls fantasies. No bread in Lidl – mother of God.

Anyways, I intend to work all week, and I’ve told my employees that they should expect to do the same, until they hear otherwise. A few inches of snow ain’t going to be changing that. I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

Pure unnecessary excitement and panic.

Imagine the panic if there were a natural disaster, I'd say the most of them idiots would die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

How much snow did ye get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Who are these nob heads buying out all the bread? Dunnes and Supervalu and Tesco were all bare for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its far worse in the UK from the scenes i saw on the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The drive through shed that sells coal in Oranmore had a que out to the road this evening and I passing.tis snotty nose weather alright

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

I have a critical decision. Make 3x kids lunches for school tomorrow now? Will it be wasted if I make now and schools close. Will I be too lazy later this eve and end up rushing tmw am, if schools open.

Pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

cantdecide wrote: »
    Seems legit...

443141.PNG
    Them penguins aren't cheap, you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

optogirl wrote: »
    Not a mention? Where have you been?

In the West and North West!

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

None, it's all hype and panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

not even proper ****ing snowed and already a bunch of crashes. Imagine the carnage if the east get a proper dumping. All because idiots dont know how to drive in the snow or fog.

Didnt hear too many accidents around the west when people were on untreated roads a few weeks back and the above crashes are on main fecking roads.

I understand the need to warn people but christ its OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We are senior citizens , neither of us want to risk slipping or falling . So we got a few extra litres of milk and extra bread yesterday . It was to keep us safe and warm and not having to go out in the bitter cold . I am not really bothered by your disdain to be honest

Because I really meant people like you, obviously.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We are senior citizens , neither of us want to risk slipping or falling . So we got a few extra litres of milk and extra bread yesterday . It was to keep us safe and warm and not having to go out in the bitter cold . I am not really bothered by your disdain to be honest

Isn't it grand for some that can stay inside from the elements, I'm not too far behind you but I'll be still heading out the door at 6 am whatever the weather.

Pero_Bueno wrote: »

Haven’t seen a touch of snow yet and hope it stays that way.too much hardship trying to travel in that.half the country can hardly drive on a good day with trying to steer and update their Facebook at the same time.im pure sick with fkrs who can’t use an indicator and a phone stuck to their jaw with a big important head on them.
    Pull in to fcuk and take the call or stay off the road and have some consideration for other people for once in your selfish life.

elbyrneo wrote: »
    I have a critical decision. Make 3x kids lunches for school tomorrow now? Will it be wasted if I make now and schools close. Will I be too lazy later this eve and end up rushing tmw am, if schools open.

Pressure.

Make them now and if no school they could eat them at home at lunch time sure or else feed it to birds 🦅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Haven’t seen a touch of snow yet and hope it stays that way.too much hardship trying to travel in that.half the country can hardly drive on a good day with trying to steer and update their Facebook at the same time.im pure sick with fkrs who can’t use an indicator and a phone stuck to their jaw with a big important head on them.
    Pull in to fcuk and take the call or stay off the road and have some consideration for other people for once in your selfish life.
    Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

FatherTed wrote: »
    How much snow did ye get?

4 grams but Adrien Brody is here so it's going fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Isn't it grand for some that can stay inside from the elements, I'm not too far behind you but I'll be still heading out the door at 6 am whatever the weather.

Aren't you marvellous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

The snow looks lovely, but it's slippy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It is indeed ! For long enough I battled all elements to get into work at 6 am or 10 pm at night . So I am comfortable buying a few extra loaves and fishes to keep warm and safe

• Advertisement

optogirl wrote: »
    Aren't you marvellous

Aren't I just, think of me when you are turning over for your second sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Some people are lucky.....having bread, lidl and tesco in Mullingar - empty shelves, in lidl many things sold out, grrrr.
    Got fancy bread rolls though so sorted.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

and also because the worst hasn't hit yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

elbyrneo wrote: »

Pressure.
    They'll still be lunches, and can be eaten at home tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

tedpan wrote: »

The snow looks lovely, but it's slippy!

Jayzis tedpan, you were going quare fast there! How did you stop so quick at the end?!

;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have you seen the forecast at all?

It's not hype. No heavy snow forecast for today at all. There may well be some tonight.

Worst of the snow is expected on Thursday.

Why people are expecting snow during the day today and then dismiss as it as hype when the non-forecasted snow does not materialise is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

smokingman wrote:
    Jayzis tedpan, you were going quare fast there! How did you stop so quick at the end?!

smokingman wrote:
    ;D

Haha! It would have been too boring if I didn't fast forward!!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

endacl wrote: »
    They'll still be lunches, and can be eaten at home tomorrow?

Childminder feeds them otherwise. 10 mins of extra evening chill time. Original post in jest (kinda)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Thank god there's people on here who actually share my opinion. On the proper weather forum it was full of delusional idiots worrying.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Some people are lucky.....having bread, lidl and tesco in Mullingar - empty shelves, in lidl many things sold out, grrrr.
    Got fancy bread rolls though so sorted.

You could always buy bread on donedeal, €30 for a small sliced pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone who is "panic" buying is an idiot.
    Stopped in to tesco this afternoon to get fresh rolls for the kids lunches and it's like armageddon. It's a couple of days of snow.
    If you are stuck in the house for a day or 2 I'm sure you could survive on what's in the cupboards and the fridge. Who makes their dinner and thinks "ahhh, I've no bread to have with my potatoes and vegetables".
    Some fool on the radio earlier buying 12 loaves of bread for a house with 2 people in it...dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

How long would a bag of firewood last, while using a fire to heat a small room with mediocre insulation? (The bags they sell in lids, in case there is variation in size)

The power has gone here a couple of times when the weather is bad. We’ve a newborn so it is particularly important we can keep at least one room warm enough if the power goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s weeks like this you really miss Sharon & Dobbo on the SixOne News!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Non-7am update from M.T. Cranium. Shit is getting real. Even mentions the b-word (blizzard, not bitch or bastard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Non-7am update from M.T. Cranium. **** is getting real. Even mentions the b-word (blizzard, not bitch or bastard).

I'd say he gets all the rides in the weather forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It’s weeks like this you really miss Sharon & Dobbo on the SixOne News!!

Yeah . Really not the same with Caitriona Perry Over EMPHASISING each WOrd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say he gets all the rides in the weather forum.

How dare he be educated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

pjohnson wrote: »
    How dare he be educated.

I know what a bastard right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This thread needs an Aerosmith theme song.

I'm thinking love in an elevator

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

No heavy snow was expected today. Pay attention.

But at least some of that* is due to the perception those of us out foreign in actually cold regions are getting from online Ireland the last few days. I think it was you who mentioned earlier that it's better than the 'ah shure be grand' attitude, and I guess it is but why can't Ireland just have the measured reasonable balance between the two, it was the same for Ophelia a few months ago. If there is a bit of warm weather in the summer are people going to be planning for droughts and desertification? :D

And from the machinery and council planning perspective, someone just needs to crunch the numbers, risk = damage X probability.

*Of course there will always be some people trolling with it :D

The roads wont be impassable if there is extremely hot summer weather ?? :confused: How is this even relevant?

There is a strong possibility of roads being inaccessible while salt and machinery is being imported so the people are absolutely 100% correct to stock up.

There is no continuous salting on the roads in winter time like Northern parts of Scotland for example and therefore no need whatsoever to own as much machinery and salt stocks on a permanent basis. Thats the difference here.

Cold countries know they are going to get adverse weather and preparation is part and parcel of their daily lives. They are in a world of almost perfect information weather wise. Ireland is different. Its once in the blue moon event so therefore our preparation needs to be more advanced. 2010 was the last time we got really bad snow (we actually got it the beginning and end of that year) and before that id say 1982 in terms of getting a really bad fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

_Dara_ wrote: »
    No heavy snow was expected today. Pay attention.

Yeah a LOT of people seem to think it should have all kicked off today.

Read the forecast people. Thursday and Friday is where it’s at.

www.yr.no

Aren't I just, think of me when you are turning over for your second sleep.

I'll be up and out at 6 myself. I just don't feel the need to admonish a man for being retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

So when is this storm gonna happen?
    Some of us has boring jobs we do not wanna go to in the morning...

Rala_ wrote: »
    Thank god there's people on here who actually share my opinion. On the proper weather forum it was full of delusional idiots worrying.

As far as I can see it's mainly people getting excited for a proper snow. Thursday is when its supposed to hit properly so I think they might be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

How long would a bag of firewood last, while using a fire to heat a small room with mediocre insulation? (The bags they sell in lids, in case there is variation in size)

The power has gone here a couple of times when the weather is bad. We’ve a newborn so it is particularly important we can keep at least one room warm enough if the power goes.
    If it's the stuff I saw in Lidl yesterday, it won't last pissing time. That's just kindling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

cinnamony wrote: »
    So when is this storm gonna happen?
    Some of us has boring jobs we do not wanna go to in the morning...

Thursday is going to be the big day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If it's the stuff I saw in Lidl yesterday, it won't last pissing time. That's just kindling.
    No, split logs. They had kindling as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

bale of briquettes is your only friend, heat will radiate and coal will last longer. Big bag of blocks would be nice too but not as much heat. Different if you're using a stove but on an open fire briquettes will help keep the heat going and fire last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

murpho999 wrote: »
    Thursday is going to be the big day.

But that's the Day after Tomorrow.

What's forcast for the Day after the Day after Tomorrow?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
Advertisement