Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to vaping...

Options
  • 26-02-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Heavy smoker for 20 years and off them 5. But struggling with a social cigarette now and then and considering vaping as a replacement.

I smoked Marlboro lights.

I like the look of the small dark cigarette style e cigarette with the blue led.

Any ideas or suggestions. I'm in Dublin 15. Is there a recommeded store where I can try options?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

sticker wrote: »
    Hi there. Heavy smoker for 20 years and off them 5. But struggling with a social cigarette now and then and considering vaping as a replacement.

I smoked Marlboro lights.

I like the look of the small dark cigarette style e cigarette with the blue led.

Any ideas or suggestions. I'm in Dublin 15. Is there a recommeded store where I can try options?

Thanks

In my opinion,those ciggy type vape pens are crap,they will not satisfy your cravings for a fag.
    You really need a decent set-up that will keep you off the fags like the Zelos kit...

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/854-aspire-zelos-50w-kit.html

Being a smoker for over 40 years & vaping nearly 10 years,the one thing that will get you off the smokes is Nicotine level in the liquid & the right set-up to use.

If you decide to go with the Zelos,come back here before you buy & we can advise you about coils & liquid.

Here's a video about the Zelos Kit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YtUnCjecqE

Others will chime in here & give you names of shops in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

In my opinion,those ciggy type vape pens are crap,they will not satisfy your cravings for a fag.
    You really need a decent set-up that will keep you off the fags like the Zelos kit...

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/854-aspire-zelos-50w-kit.html

Being a smoker for over 40 years & vaping nearly 10 years,the one thing that will get you off the smokes is Nicotine level in the liquid & the right set-up to use.

If you decide to go with the Zelos,come back here before you buy & we can advise you about coils & liquid.

Here's a video about the Zelos Kit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YtUnCjecqE

Others will chime in here & give you names of shops in Dublin.

Many thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah those sticks are useless, dont go too crazy buying expensive mods as they may be too strong. Start out on something like an eleaf istick with an aspire k1 tank :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I just unpacked and set up my new Aspire Zelos kit today, it's a brilliant kit that allows for expansion up to 50w with a different tank. So a great starter kit for a heavy smoker who's serious about giving up. However the OP appears to be only a casual smoker now, so something like the Aspire k3 would probably more suitable as it's punchy enough as a mouth to lung and neat enough to slip into your top pocket. Maybe even the k2 or a more advanced version of those cigarette shaped one where you can put your own juice in would be enough for a casual smoker. You can get away with using them in many places while you're having a drink as they're small and don't throw out big clouds. I would avoid the sub ohms for the moment.

I'm a bit of an Aspire fanboy myself with the k3, k4 and Zelos kit. They all have their purpose, I use the k3 when I'm out and about as it's the lightest, smallest and most discreet of the three. Aspire have a great range of coils that last for ages and are dirt cheap especially from China. I believe the Nautilus coils which the k3 and Zelos use were the biggest selling coils and supposed to be the best for mouth to lung vaping which is similar to how you'd inhale a cigarette.

You should probably go into a proper vape shop that sells lots of different brands and try some of them out.

Blade wrote: »
    I just unpacked and set up my new Aspire Zelos kit today, it's a brilliant kit that allows for expansion up to 50w with a different tank. So a great starter kit for a heavy smoker who's serious about giving up. However the OP appears to be only a casual smoker now, so something like the Aspire k3 would probably more suitable as it's punchy enough as a mouth to lung and neat enough to slip into your top pocket. Maybe even the k2 or a more advanced version of those cigarette shaped one where you can put your own juice in would be enough for a casual smoker. You can get away with using them in many places while you're having a drink as they're small and don't throw out big clouds. I would avoid the sub ohms for the moment.

I'm a bit of an Aspire fanboy myself with the k3, k4 and Zelos kit. They all have their purpose, I use the k3 when I'm out and about as it's the lightest, smallest and most discreet of the three. Aspire have a great range of coils that last for ages and are dirt cheap especially from China. I believe the Nautilus coils which the k3 and Zelos use were the biggest selling coils and supposed to be the best for mouth to lung vaping which is similar to how you'd inhale a cigarette.

You should probably go into a proper vape shop that sells lots of different brands and try some of them out.

Great advice. Thanks. Yes I'm a very casual smoker.

Any recommendations for decent vape shop in Dublin 15?

I'd like to try tabacco style filler to see if it's close to what I'm used to..

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Thanks again

The Vape Club - Mulhuddart

2b, Parkside, Blakestown Rd, Mulhuddart, Dublin 15
    (01) 430 6666 https://g.co/kgs/mgBD4X

Tickityboo wrote: »
    The Vape Club - Mulhuddart

2b, Parkside, Blakestown Rd, Mulhuddart, Dublin 15
    (01) 430 6666 https://g.co/kgs/mgBD4X

Cheers. Can you try before you buy or is that an option?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Cheers. Can you try before you buy or is that an option?

I'm only vaping a few months myself so haven't been around to many shops. You can usually try out flavours but not sure will they let you try out the devices as they probably don't have them all as testers. Don't let them sell you anything too fancy and explain that you only get the odd cravings. You don't want something that you might end up liking too much and then find yourself with a vape in your hand all day like many of us here. There are some small devices that deliver very high nicotine and are designed for taking a few puffs to satisfy your craving, then you put it away till the next craving. Something like that might be more suited to your particular situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Everyone thinks they will want tobacco flavour and something that looks like a cig at the start. You quickly realise the tobacco flavours are rubbish and the batteries on the cig lookalike are rubbish and the cartridges cost a fortune.
    Menthol give the best thoath hit and you don't get sick of the taste like most of the others. Only down side to menthol is drinking beer with it is like brushing your teeth after every pint.
    Some mints don't have such a strong effect like this though. I currently use one called two mint from the vape club and I can vape it while drinking for pints.
    I'd say something like an ego would suit you well.
    While I'm on here I have that zelos kit mentioned above and I can't stop the thing from leaking and flooding after every refill, any tips on this? I had a k2 and a k1 tank previously and they were much better for not leaking and stuff. I'm using the 0.7 coil if that matters.

https://thevapeclub.ie/product/eleaf-ijust-one-kit/
    Something like this op would be your best bet in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Thanks again all for very solid advice. Much appreciated

iamtony wrote: »
    Everyone thinks they will want tobacco flavour and something that looks like a cig at the start. You quickly realise the tobacco flavours are rubbish and the batteries on the cig lookalike are rubbish and the cartridges cost a fortune.
    Menthol give the best thoath hit and you don't get sick of the taste like most of the others. Only down side to menthol is drinking beer with it is like brushing your teeth after every pint.
    Some mints don't have such a strong effect like this though. I currently use one called two mint from the vape club and I can vape it while drinking for pints.
    I'd say something like an ego would suit you well.
    While I'm on here I have that zelos kit mentioned above and I can't stop the thing from leaking and flooding after every refill, any tips on this? I had a k2 and a k1 tank previously and they were much better for not leaking and stuff. I'm using the 0.7 coil if that matters.

Most of those top fill tanks like the Nautilus2 tend to cause a vacuum when screwing on the top cap & floods the coil & leaking happens.
    You need to push air into the coil not liquid...

Fill your Nautilus2 as usual & screw on your top cap slowly until you feel the cap biting into the O-Ring or Gasket,then stop screwing,turn tank upside down,all the liquid will fall to the bottom away from the coil & replaced with air,now fully screw the top cap on (still in the upside down position) now it's ready to vape with no leaks...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thanks again

Most of the "Hale" shops have testers so you can screw them onto your own mod and try the flavours etc out. I am not sure about other shops but in the few I have been in they dont give you the option.

Most of those top fill tanks like the Nautilus2 tend to cause a vacuum when screwing on the top cap & floods the coil & leaking happens.
    You need to push air into the coil not liquid...

Fill your Nautilus2 as usual & screw on your top cap slowly until you feel the cap biting into the O-Ring or Gasket,then stop screwing,turn tank upside down,all the liquid will fall to the bottom away from the coil & replaced with air,now fully screw the top cap on (still in the upside down position) now it's ready to vape with no leaks...
    Tried this today, thanks. It helped but doesn't cure the issue. I do think it's the problem though. Maybe I need to give it more time upside down to allow the Wick to drain a little I don't know.
    It's annoying how little of the tank space you can only use, the guy in the shop said not to fill above the start of the threads is this what you do?

iamtony wrote: »
    Tried this today, thanks. It helped but doesn't cure the issue. I do think it's the problem though. Maybe I need to give it more time upside down to allow the Wick to drain a little I don't know.
    It's annoying how little of the tank space you can only use, the guy in the shop said not to fill above the start of the threads is this what you do?

I have never heard anything about not filling above the threads in any of the videos I've watched.
    I don't own a Nautilus2,I do have loads of the older Nautilus's which uses the same coil as the Nautilus2.
    Here's a video that might help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wux7-VzZJKM&t=720s

I have never heard anything about not filling above the threads in any of the videos I've watched.
    I don't own a Nautilus2,I do have loads of the older Nautilus's which uses the same coil as the Nautilus2.
    Here's a video that might help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wux7-VzZJKM&t=720s
    your right i just got the box out and read the manual and the fill line is just above the threads. Thank god cause the amount of times I've had to open and fill this was getting rediculous.
    Getting better at filling it now. Still end up with juice on the glass and on my hands everytime I have to fill i think some is leaking past the oring when I turn it upside down even after I feel the bite.
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Just to add to this the Vape place is mulhuddart is great - your man is very nice and I would recommend sweet joker as a juice - he recommended it to me and it's been the only one, Ive consistently stuck with. I normally dont like sweet ones but this is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VapeDave

Thought I would throw in another vape shop around Dublin that you might want to drop into if you are in the area. Vintage Vape Rooms in Temple Bar, one of my fav places to go when I'm in town. All the guys are really sound with great knowledge as well

Advertisement