Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading old system, two questions

Options
  • 26-02-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been reading back over the many many pages here, tying to get up to speed with whats out there these days. Our house alarm is 9 yrs old and has monitoring through the landline which is now out of contract.

The landline is total rubbish here, and keeps failing regularly, which then can take a week to get fixed ... if we're lucky, so we're getting rid of it.

That leaves me looking at putting in a GSM based system, we also have a pretty good wireless broadband, which can also be used as a backup. I'll also be putting in CCTV. Thanks to all the great info here, I've learned a lot, and I'm down to two questions :

First question : Are most of the current systems more robust to jammers ? I've seen some claims by Tyco Visonics that they are the best for avoiding jamming ( that was in 2015 ), has the playing field levelled since between the various brands ?

Second question : Are panic buttons available for most systems ?

Cheers,

Murph

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Murph100 wrote: »

First question : Are most of the current systems more robust to jammers ? I've seen some claims by Tyco Visonics that they are the best for avoiding jamming ( that was in 2015 ), has the playing field levelled since between the various brands ?

Are you looking at central station monitoring. A standard GSM/IP package here can notify you in 15 in the event of poll fails or instantly if there is a poll fail after an alarm event.
    This is well worth looking into. Some monitoring may only notify you after a number of hours or even a day or more.:eek:
    Murph100 wrote: »
    Second question : Are panic buttons available for most systems ?

On all systems yes. On top of that you can have duress codes, duress passwords & all OK zones set up for extra peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Cheers KoolKid !

Yes I'm looking at central station monitoring, I'm constantly working in out of coverage areas, so self monitoring would be pointless.

I saw on some of your posts about the GSD panels which have various pollling options, sounds like the job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes. You can set up duel path monitoring on that system over GSM /IP.
    With this you will get notified of poll fails in 15 minutes.
    If communication goes down after an alarm event (even entry time started) the notification is instant.

If communication goes down after an alarm event (even entry time started) the notification is instant.

If communication goes down after an alarm event (even entry time started) the notification is instan

• Advertisement
Advertisement