Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying New Build - Is negotiating price possible?

Options
  • 27-02-2018 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Looking at New Builds on the market in Dublin & Kildare.

Is there any negotiation on the asking price? When i check DAFT for example it shows some new builds "From 330,000"

Can this price be negotiated down or am i pissing against the wind with Estate Agents when it comes to new builds?

If yes, what if any tips do you have for trying to get this price down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rcanpolat wrote: »
    When i check DAFT for example it shows some new builds "From 330,000"
    I'm guessing for €330k, you get the shell. If you want a kitchen put in, landscaping, etc, it'll be extra.

You may get the showroom for a little less, as it's "as is".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you're buying off the plans, there's not much chance of negotiating down. The developer has priced the build. If the price he is offering the house for won't attract buyers, he won't proceed with the build; he'll come up with a scaled-down development which can be sold for a lower price that might be more in line with what the market is willing to pay.

It's different if what your buying is an already-built new house. The build cost is a sunk cost; it can't be varied now. The house is worth what the market will pay for it, and the market doesn't care what it cost to build. If you're in a buyer's market, you can certainly negotiate the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Everything is negotiable, but 95% of these builders have priced it right, and the properties sell. The only example I seen recently was a development in Lusk, but that was a small builder who got excited. Priced them at least 30k over.

Anyway, something that stuck out in your post is reliance on daft.ie prices. If anything the price will be higher than what you see on daft. There are only a few agents that seem to keep it up to date, often it's Phase I prices still on the ad, and often enough it's the cheapest house of which there are limited quantity that gets the headline price, and that's usually a house in the least favourable position in the development. You pay more for the well positioned, and also need more budget to kit out the house with flooring, furniture, alarms, curtains, appliances, lighting, sheds, whatever. I always reckon a skeletal budget of 10k will get you there, and you can build on it over time. No one ever gets the dream home day one in turn key condition, it's fine, we've all been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

From €330k means the cheapest house is €330k.
    Expect to pay more for better aspect, bigger garden, extra parking space, side gate etc.

Generally new builds are selling out as soon as they go on sale so negotiating isn’t an option. Most builders are completely refusing any additions/changes too since it messes up their workflow. If there are houses still for sale a few weeks after launch it’s worth asking but beyond that you’re pissing in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

From €330k means the cheapest house is €330k.
    Expect to pay more for better aspect, bigger garden, extra parking space, side gate etc.

Generally new builds are selling out as soon as they go on sale so negotiating isn’t an option. Most builders are completely refusing any additions/changes too since it messes up their workflow. If there are houses still for sale a few weeks after launch it’s worth asking but beyond that you’re pissing in the wind.

I agree. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If you play it wrong, you come across as difficult and as a person who doesn't have two brown pennies to rub together, a tyre kicking pane in the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are more people looking to buy houses than there are houses right now, so I imagine if you start negotiating on the price they'll kindly thank you and invite the next person in the queue to come in and pick their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,085 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It all depends really, especially how the house you want is priced against the others.

Generally the starting price is for the cheapest version of that house they have and it goes up from there.

we managed to negotiate a little off of ours but it was a small estate and the houses were expensive, ours was the most desirable one (end of terrace, double size garden, right aspect etc) so they priced it higher than the rest.

We still paid more than our neighbours but got 3% off the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

From usually means there are a mix of sizes types.

From usually means there are a mix of sizes.

not always, in our estate houses were all identically sized but some were mid terrace, some end of terrace, some east facing gardens some west facing gardens, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cyrus wrote: »
    not always, in our estate houses were all identically sized but some were mid terrace, some end of terrace, some east facing gardens some west facing gardens, etc etc

Yep that too.

Sounds a bit dull though Cyrus :pac:

• Advertisement

Yep that too.

Sounds a bit dull though Cyrus :pac:

its very nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

Really appreciate everyone chipping in on this discussion.

What i'm taking from it is that for me personally i won't be taking a new build. I feel new build prices are over-rated for what's on offer and as one post said, with a second hand home the build cost is a sunk cost. In my eyes that sunk cost could get me a larger property compared to a new build.

I'll have the rest of my life to insulate, install new windows, add solar panels etc to bring it up to somewhat of a new build standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

rcanpolat wrote: »
    Really appreciate everyone chipping in on this discussion.

What i'm taking from it is that for me personally i won't be taking a new build. I feel new build prices are over-rated for what's on offer and as one post said, with a second hand home the build cost is a sunk cost. In my eyes that sunk cost could get me a larger property compared to a new build.

I'll have the rest of my life to insulate, install new windows, add solar panels etc to bring it up to somewhat of a new build standard.

If it makes you feel any better that's what I decided too.

Advertisement