Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow storm Feb 2018

Options
  • 27-02-2018 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Must of us are very aware of the potentially serious weather conditions hitting the country this week.
    This thread can be used as a good tool to inform each other, and help each other out if we can.

Please look after each other, and any neighbors that may need some help over the coming few days.
    And remember to take your pets indoors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

The place is saturated with threads on this. Surely they can be merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Well, this one was intended to be specifically about Impact to NCD.
    , rather than relevant in the weather form or such.
    I am not aware of another on in this forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Nothing much happening in Swords so far, just a few light showers. Fair play to Fingal CC they've been out every night gritting the roads even housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Nipped into the Top Shop, for a lemonade at 5.30.

Lovely evening as I went in, came out at 6 and it's a blizzard.

Snow sticking and it's -0.5deg so it will freeze tonight, take care in the morning folks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Counted 5 trucks with orange lights on the M50 and M1 tonight. Breakdowns/rescues rather than accidents. Take it handy out there.

And thanks OP for the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

The stuff was coming in from the East and it tasted salty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Well, this one was intended to be specifically about Impact to NCD.
    , rather than relevant in the weather form or such.
    I am not aware of another on in this forum.

Fair enough. No mention of NCD in your original post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Pretty bad out there this morning.
    Drove from Balbriggan to Baldoyle at 5:30.
    M1 is ok-ish. Hard enough to see toad markinhs.
    M1 to Baldoyle up the n32 is a disaster.
    Be careful out there everyone. There’s no panic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Swords Express buses are not running. On Twitter:

SERVICE UPDATE: Due to the Status Red Weather Warning issued by @MetEireann all Swords Express services have been CANCELLED this morning until further notice. #StormEmma @TFIupdates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Folks Ive been out on the M1 at 7am, road not ploughed, conditions are very bad and guess what some motorists are driving way to fast, nearly had a 4x4 plough into me this morning,tailgating me.

I then got a text from work telling me not to come in, happy days.

Swords express is cancelled and Dublin bus 43 was operational when I got back home at 8am.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/ Dublin bus 43 unable to serve Mountgorry way/ Felthrim road area, be advised.

I thought Fingal County Council would have snow ploughs out on the M1 since 5am but the amount of snow which has now turned to slush plus freezing temperatures, Id advise anyone to stay home for the day, stock up on food and keep warm.

Im back in the bed now :-);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

191 services cancelled until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

More snow at Airways Industrial estate, roads very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kravmaga wrote: »
    I thought Fingal County Council would have snow ploughs out on the M1...
    FCC only have responsibility for R and L roads. Motorways and National Primary Routes are under the remit of TII.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

M1 is fine from Junction 5 North to Junction 7 Julianstown

R132 has been gritted north of Blakes Cross and is ok,

Only issue was snow blowing from overtaking trucks onto windscreen,
    Take care, worse to come

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

did these lads go to bed last night? they were out gritting in baldoyle at 730 last night and the main road outside my house is driveable

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/968757384209403905

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

First power cut of the year...

Fair play to ESB though - they had it up and running again within 2 seconds!

My daughter in Lusk has lost power a couple of times tonight and according to powercheck.ie this latest one won't be fixed before 8pm tomorrow. Fair play to those lads though, they're doing their best in very tough conditions.

Lost power in Lusk at 10:30 ish last night. RTE saying North Dublin amongst worst affected.
    Can't see.anything on powercheck.ie. Fair play to the crews that go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Flickering lights here but no major outages as far as I know around Rush. All staff got into work on Wednesday morning to An Post Balbriggan delivery unit but deliveries of mail suspended later in the day.

Keep an eye on elderly neighbours.

Main roads are ok around Rush but Lr. Main street was lethal yesterday evening as were other roads.

Looks like people heeded the warnings and stayed in according to radio as hospitals were not as busy as usual. Great job by ESB and emergency services.

[IMG]http://[/img]38732993940_26b17516e1_z.jpgUntitled by Leo Bissett, on Flickr

221GHEm

• Advertisement

Just a bit of info if anyone has to drive - the roads may seem clear in your area but conditions can change rapidly.

On the R127 between Skerries and Lusk, it's down to one snow compacted lane on the high ground at Baldongan (near JH Autos). Deep snow drifts now being cleared by a few locals with diggers and tractors. It's passable but the problem is when two vehciles meet - someone has to compromise and then they may get stuck.

On the R128 between Loughshinny Cross and the top of the hill before Skerries is the same - down to one lane of compacted snow with no clearing being done. Same problem when two vehicles meet.

At the Rugby Club in Skerries on the R128, road is flooded as waves are coming over the wall and washing in stones and other debris with them. Road littered with stones and debris. Use Shenick Road instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The roads from Balrothery to Man o War are impassible in normal cars due to heavy drifts, the road from Cross of the cage to MOW the same, stay home and if you need to go out stuck to the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is there any shops open around Malahide does anyone know? Supervalu's closed and so is Tesco.

Is there any shops open around Malahide does anyone know? Supervalu's closed and so is Tesco.

A lot of the supermarkets announced last night that they'd be opening this afternoon, but that may have changed. A garage shop might be your best bet.

We were without power from just after midnight until around 12.30 today. Fair play to the ESB crews getting out there in this weather and working so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Does anyone know if Arro or Corrs are opening today? Oil tank blew over and broke a joint. Skerries hardware didnt have what i needed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Water gone in Milverton. Irish Water site says possible disruption in Skerries, Balbriggan, Man O War and Bog of the Ring areas due to power outage. They can't send anyone to sort it out until the red warning is lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

EEC/Arro closed Friday and reopening Saturday - not sure about Coors

Will make a Beeline for Heat Merchants in the am and see if they are open!

koutoubia wrote: »
    .. Oil tank blew over and broke a joint...
    :eek: Did you lose all the oil?

• Advertisement

:eek: Did you lose all the oil?
    No.Thankfully.
    Was only about 100 ltrs in it and that seemed to stay in.
    Probably why it blew over. If it was full it may have stayed put.

Advertisement