Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Educate Together

Options
  • 27-02-2018 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I'm torn between this school and the Boys national school. My concerns are that it's new so staff might be still bedding in/changing over and they don't have any extra curricular activities. What is the class demographic like also does anyone know?

The bonuses for me are that it's co-ed, has experience in different learning styles by virtue of the fact that it has an ASD unit and it's proximal to us.

Would love to hear of peoples experience (first or second hand).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

It's ten years old at this point and has many of the original staff. I also hear that it is adding a second stream next year after successfully overcoming resistance by the Department of Education and Skills. What do you mean by "class demographic"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

It's ten years old at this point and has many of the original staff. I also hear that it is adding a second stream next year after successfully overcoming resistance by the Department of Education and Skills. What do you mean by "class demographic"?

Mmmm... I think I'm asking the very un-pc question as to where the students are generally from ie. Irish v non-Irish.

Yes, you're right re the second stream for junior infants from 2018. We had assumed we wouldn't get a place there but it's looking more likely now. We're almost definitely going to take it but I just want to be sure it's the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

yellow hen wrote: »
    Mmmm... I think I'm asking the very un-pc question as to where the students are generally from ie. Irish v non-Irish.

Yes, you're right re the second stream for junior infants from 2018. We had assumed we wouldn't get a place there but it's looking more likely now. We're almost definitely going to take it but I just want to be sure it's the right decision.

By 'un-pc' do you mean bigoted?

By 'un-pc' do you mean bigoted?

No that's actually not what I mean at all. I think that's what people can interpret it as but it's not at all what I am asking. I have a child with a speech and language disorder and I want to know if the composition of the class, specifically other childrens language ability, will prove difficult for him. I'm not looking for an argument so if you are, just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

There is a Facebook group called Friends of METNS that is for past, present and future parents of students there. It may be worth asking some of your queries there. My kids are on the list for 2019 and I’m in the group so it shouldn’t be a problem to join it.

• Advertisement

Rathkenny wrote: »
    There is a Facebook group called Friends of METNS that is for past, present and future parents of students there. It may be worth asking some of your queries there. My kids are on the list for 2019 and I’m in the group so it shouldn’t be a problem to join it.

That's great, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

I have a child with a speech and language disorder and I want to know if the composition of the class, specifically other childrens language ability, will prove difficult for him.
    METNS is particularly good with providing extra- and out of classroom assistance for things like dyslexia. I think a lot of people choose METNS over St Mary's or the Girl's School due to it's agnostic approach to religion, rather than anything 'ethnic'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd be asking if the SEN staff have experience in SL difficulties and what they can offer under the revised SEN provision model and the class sie for any school you are considering.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

No that's actually not what I mean at all. I think that's what people can interpret it as but it's not at all what I am asking. I have a child with a speech and language disorder and I want to know if the composition of the class, specifically other childrens language ability, will prove difficult for him. I'm not looking for an argument so if you are, just move on.

If you didnt want your OP misinterpreted you should have included the above information in your OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Is the second stream confirmed? I thought it was linked to the building of the new school which hasn’t started yet... we have our daughters name down for 2018 so would be delighted if it was although we will most likely defer the place to 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The tender for the new building is due this month so hopefully its quite soon.

If you didnt want your OP misinterpreted you should have included the above information in your OP.

I asked a question. The reason behind my question is my business. I think the use of the word bigot is a leap and clarification could have seen requested first.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I have met the principal but cannot get in touch with the seno. I'm formulating an opinion based in knowledge from many sources and overall it's very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

My daughter is in senior infants there with my second due to start in Sept this year. We are absolutely delighted with the school as a whole and more to the point my daughter skips in there happy as larry every day. It's a very inclusive school. The 2 teachers we have experienced so far have been fantastic. There is a mix of nationalities and abilities in each class and it has only been good for my daughter. A second junior infants class has been confirmed. Just be aware that there is no sibling policy. There is also no after school programme which the parents are trying to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

My daughter is in senior infants there with my second due to start in Sept this year. We are absolutely delighted with the school as a whole and more to the point my daughter skips in there happy as larry every day. It's a very inclusive school. The 2 teachers we have experienced so far have been fantastic. There is a mix of nationalities and abilities in each class and it has only been good for my daughter. A second junior infants class has been confirmed for 2018.

Like any school it has its issues. There is no after school programme which the parents are trying to change. For us that will mean one finishing an hour after the other which means hanging around. There is no sibling policy. Communication and organisation can be haphazard at times, but none of that takes away from it being an excellent school in my opinion.

Thank you for the replies. We got our place offer today and we're delighted. The positive commentary far outweighs any negatively feedback we've gotten

Advertisement