Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time at a dentist in 10 years.

Options
  • 27-02-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be worth putting up my experience in the last couple of weeks with going to the dentist after a 10 year break.

I'm 29 now, the last time I was at a dentist was when I was 19 or so. It was always something that was traumatic to me, ever since I was 5 years old. My last visit at 19 was due to a wisdom tooth that was coming in sideways. The dentist told me he was going to have to butcher me to get it out; so when I left the surgery I simply never went back.

Fast forward 10 years, I was having trouble with my gums, I knew I had a couple of cavities and my fear and anxiety were through the roof. I honestly thought I was going to be told that most of my teeth would have to be pulled out.

Through lots of encouragement from my fiancee, I went for a check up. And all went really well. Things were no where near as bad as I thought. As of now I've been twice, one check up and this morning a follow up appointment for a filling and clean. Everything to date went really well, only minor discomfort really.

I'm glad I finally did it, and every time I go I'm one step closer to having it all sorted. The anxiety and worry in the years beforehand was far far worse than any of the work so far. Every time I go and finish, a wave of relief falls over me.

My dentist said to me it's all about practise from here on in. I'm so out of practise of going to a dentist that I need to build it back up. She's spaced out the work to some degree, and I should hopefully be done in a few weeks.

So for anyone out there who was like me, I'd say do it. There's no better time than now, and the anxiety and worry is not worth it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Good stuff, hows the wisdom tooth??
    I thought it would be worth putting up my experience in the last couple of weeks with going to the dentist after a 10 year break.

I'm 29 now, the last time I was at a dentist was when I was 19 or so. It was always something that was traumatic to me, ever since I was 5 years old. My last visit at 19 was due to a wisdom tooth that was coming in sideways. The dentist told me he was going to have to butcher me to get it out; so when I left the surgery I simply never went back.

Fast forward 10 years, I was having trouble with my gums, I knew I had a couple of cavities and my fear and anxiety were through the roof. I honestly thought I was going to be told that most of my teeth would have to be pulled out.

Through lots of encouragement from my fiancee, I went for a check up. And all went really well. Things were no where near as bad as I thought. As of now I've been twice, one check up and this morning a follow up appointment for a filling and clean. Everything to date went really well, only minor discomfort really.

I'm glad I finally did it, and every time I go I'm one step closer to having it all sorted. The anxiety and worry in the years beforehand was far far worse than any of the work so far. Every time I go and finish, a wave of relief falls over me.

My dentist said to me it's all about practise from here on in. I'm so out of practise of going to a dentist that I need to build it back up. She's spaced out the work to some degree, and I should hopefully be done in a few weeks.

So for anyone out there who was like me, I'd say do it. There's no better time than now, and the anxiety and worry is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I’m 29 and I’ve only had one impacted wisdom tooth removed. I brush twice a day and regularly attend my dentist. My fiancée is American and has had all her wisdom teeth removed from her teens. It’s an absolute scam over there. The poor have bad teeth and the middle class get scammed to having procedures they don’t need like braces. My dentist refused to even give me braces and I know now why he did. It was unnecessary in his opinion and that has to be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

She said today that she will look at that wisdom tooth in more detail next week, there was an xray of my whole mouth taken this morning, but another targeted xray will be done next week. I may have to go to a surgeon to get it out, but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

She said today that she will look at that wisdom tooth in more detail next week, there was an xray of my whole mouth taken this morning, but another targeted xray will be done next week. I may have to go to a surgeon to get it out, but we'll see.

PM me if thats the case, we look after our own on boards. :D

Advertisement