Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to speed up a really slow site?

• 27-02-2018 3:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I made a site for a charity I help out with. We've no budget for professional help so it's just me trying my best with a Wordpress template. My main issue is that it's extremely slow to load. The photos and text are very clunky or something.

The web address is www.providenceeducation.ie

Anyone have any ideas how to speed it up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Where is it hosted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Speed seems fine for me. Wordpress tends to be like that. Have a look at the sizes of all the fotos on the site and make them smaller (not in pixels , in kb) Lots of free programs that will do this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

bmm wrote: »
    Speed seems fine for me. Wordpress tends to be like that. Have a look at the sizes of all the fotos on the site and make them smaller (not in pixels , in kb) Lots of free programs that will do this.

Perfect thanks. Maybe it's just me so. Always seems to load way slower for me than every other site. And I would expect it to be faster if I return there so often. It's hosting on Hosting Ireland I think it's called.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Home page is 18MB, I'd start looking at the page sizes first.

Use gtmetrix.com to generate a performance report. Looks like there's some audio/video content that's not helping along with some very large JPEGs.

Added:

Facebook plugin slowing things down.
    Instagram plugin slowing things down.

Hint: look at the waterfall report in gtmetrix, long bars = bad.

Look at those thumbnails below the banner. 3872px x 2576px sized images being displayed at 246 x 163. Resize the images if you only need small images. Looks like that's an issue across the site, you're essentially loading full size images but displaying them at 8% of their size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The logo and the 3 header images on the home page are ridiculously huge. The whole page is 14.6MB in size. Those 4 images account for about 11.5MB. By comparison, the image on the "History of the School" page is 19KB, despite actually having a slightly bigger display size.

Fix those before you do anything else

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Perfect - thanks! I guess I need to upload smaller sized photos or else try to resize them in wordpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

You can use this website to resize and compress your images.
    http://compressimage.toolur.com/
    Leave all the options at default: Copression method c, image quality 90% and compression quality normal. Then resize your images to the desired size. 
    For example the top 3 images would be set to 265 x 160. When I compressed and resized one of your images the website reduced it from 3.4 MB to 13.4KB. That's a massive difference and when you compress and resize all your images it will make a huge difference to your page load times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Imsanity will reduce the size of images during upload to maximums that you specify.

Advertisement