Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merchant TAPPED my Debit Card when I WANTED OTHER WAY

Options
  • 27-02-2018 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hi
      I made a purchase today and the merchant took payment from me by my BOI Debit Card.  Without asking whether I wanted to TAp or not, the merchant tapped my card anyway. The amount was €23.  

A charge is applued to my account for each tap of my debit card.

What do BOI comment on my case above.  Thankyou.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi 5rtytry56,

Thanks for your post.

The charge for a chip and pin transaction at a point of sale in Euros within the EU is 10c and for contactless the charge is 1c. If you do not want to pay using the contactless option, you can mention this to the retailer and ask them to hand you the card terminal to complete the payment.

Thanks
    Tara 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I will not be patronizing this merchant again.  You answered my query - cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

You will pay an overlimit fee if the tap puts you overdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I will not be patronizing this merchant again.  You answered my query - cheers.

Do you mind me asking why? Using contactless rather than PIN saved you 19c...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

spyderski wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking why? Using contactless rather than PIN saved you 19c...

Pin requires a phonecall, tab using broadband that's how it was explained to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Pin requires a phonecall, tab using broadband that's how it was explained to me.

That’s BS. But Contactless/Tap is cheaper anyway, due to banks trying to encourage its widespread use. My question to the OP is why he’d want to pay 19 cent more for a Chip & pin transaction?

That’s BS. But Contactless/Tap is cheaper anyway, due to banks trying to encourage its widespread use. My question to the OP is why he’d want to pay 19 cent more for a Chip & pin transaction?
    When the Pin is used, the terminal dials out, when tab is used no dial out is needed...someone from Vodafone/Three was explaining as they complained about the place i work not having Contactless at the time

When the Pin is used, the terminal dials out, when tab is used no dial out is needed...someone from Vodafone/Three was explaining as they complained about the place i work not having Contactless at the time

Advertisement