Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making a complaint about a courier company

• 27-02-2018 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I have a complaint to make about a courier company. Does anyone know if there is any kind of regulatory body that would cover courier companies? I am going to address my complaint directly to the courier of course but it would be great if I could cc a relevant third party. Experience tells me they may not resolve my issue all that quickly.

The nature of the complaint involves the company losing a parcel that I tried to send and the lack of communication since. I need to contact the company in order to claim back the cost of the parcel anyway. The contents were insured up to €50 so I will need to ask for that and I am also going to ask them to refund the delivery fee.

If anyone has any helpful advice I would appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Might be worth asking comreg if they have any interests in this area?

consumerline@comreg.ie

Even if they can't help directly I've found them very good at providing information about anyone else that might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

That's definately worth a look, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Comreg have absolutely no powers of any sort in relation to courier companies.

You can't have a government quango for every business type there is - the cost would be horrendous and it would be restrictive to trade.

Companies make errors, just like humans make errors - its for the company to rectify the error according to the terms and conditions you agreed to. If the company doesn't rectify the error, a consumer can go to the small claims court.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Comreg have absolutely no powers of any sort in relation to courier companies.

You can't have a government quango for every business type there is - the cost would be horrendous and it would be restrictive to trade.

Companies make errors, just like humans make errors - its for the company to rectify the error according to the terms and conditions you agreed to. If the company doesn't rectify the error, a consumer can go to the small claims court.

There was a thread about this not long ago, and some of the couriers, including Nightline, are registered as postal providers, and come under the remit of ComReg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

whiterebel wrote: »
    There was a thread about this not long ago, and some of the couriers, including Nightline, are registered as postal providers, and come under the remit of ComReg.

Only for letter services. Does not include parcels.

Only option (and even if it was a letter service under remit of comreg) is to go through the company's complaints service.

If that is not successful, then scc is only option unless it was a letter

They also state clearly "ComReg does not have regulatory remit over the behaviour and competence of postal personnel."

• Advertisement

Okay, thank you both. I have contacted the courier company in question and I am not happy with their response. Do you know if there is anyone above them I could go to? Or is this a bit like if you have an issue with a standalone shop (as opposed to a big multi national chain) and the owners don't give a **** your only course of action is just to never use them again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, just avoid them and avoid retailers who send via them so they don't get your custom in the other direction.

The only recourse above their customer care team is the small claims court but it doesnt sound like you've any cause to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

ComReg do not deal with couriers. It is explicitly excluded under the Postal Services Act 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

Get an insurance claim form from your local Fastway depot, it is up to them to reimburse you. It will take awhile but you should eventually get your money back.thats the advice I got here on boards,ref fastway losing my returned item

Thank you corks finest, I've sent that form in now. Sent it to the same depot that I'd previously gone into in person. I don't know if I should have sent it to head office? Oh well. And now we pay the waiting game...

... Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!

• Advertisement

Thank you corks finest, I've sent that form in now. Sent it to the same depot that I'd previously gone into in person. I don't know if I should have sent it to head office? Oh well. And now we pay the waiting game...

I'll play hungry hoops too ,as I'm still waiting for my refund and I know the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You should also make a claim to Head Office, and, if possible, directly to the CEO. Give full history of the service, or lack of it. from the local office that you have already contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alia2012

I'll play hungry hoops too ,as I'm still waiting for my refund and I know the manager

Did either of you manage to get your refund? I have the same issue with a courier company and it has become a very frustrating process to try to get a refund.

Alia2012 wrote: »

Did either of you manage to get your refund? I have the same issue with a courier company and it has become a very frustrating process to try to get a refund.
    No mine is coming,but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuhh how slow

Promised faithfully to be sorted b4 week is out ,fingers,legs,ears,balls crossed

Promised faithfully to be sorted b4 week is out ,fingers,legs,ears,balls crossed

Okay, an update!

Hahahahaha no, sorry, no update. Haven't heard a peep out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 IrelandWest Hillwalking

Get an insurance claim form from your local Fastway depot, it is up to them to reimburse you. It will take awhile but you should eventually get your money back.thats the advice I got here on boards,ref fastway losing my returned item

Does anyone know how to claim from Parcel Motel? They have lost something I sent a month ago. Latest claim from them is that they sent it to the wrong town... basically they are clueless, no idea where package is; and non responsive to enquiries. Now they not answering my mails, no reply to my last two enquiries in the last week. Do I deal with PM or directly with Nightline?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Okay, an update!

Hahahahaha no, sorry, no update. Haven't heard a peep out of them.

Hi. Any update on this, posters?

I'm having the same issue at the moment with a parcel I wanted returned to a clothing company.

Should the courier company have to provide proof of delivery (as opposed to proof of the parcel leaving their hub) if they're attempting to wash their hands of me?

Also, how long is reasonable to give them given that they say to allow 2-3 weeks /14 working days?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Couriers forum

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Onthefence wrote: »
    Hi. Any update on this, posters?

I'm having the same issue at the moment with a parcel I wanted returned to a clothing company.

Should the courier company have to provide proof of delivery (as opposed to proof of the parcel leaving their hub) if they're attempting to wash their hands of me?

Also, how long is reasonable to give them given that they say to allow 2-3 weeks /14 working days?

Thanks.

It depends, you would need to give more detail. Is it one of the locker services, like Parcel Motel? They seem to have a pretty poor reputation when it comes to returns, but some of the time there may not be any agreement in place to return it. I have seen people trying to return things back to Amazon, purely because they used it for the initial inbound service, and then resume it will work the same going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Thanks for your reply.
    Returned via Parcel Connect using the return form included in the original parcel. There's definitely an agreement in place.

Onthefence wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.
    Returned via Parcel Connect using the return form included in the original parcel. There's definitely an agreement in place.

If the retailer has the agreement in place, then proof that you gave it to Parcel Connect should be enough.

Advertisement