Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for 176km....what to expect?

Options
  • 27-02-2018 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've JUST started training for a 176km event on around the end of May  http://www.cyclotour.ch/parcours/180-km-le-tour-du-lac/ .... but I am very firmly in the "rank amateur, sunny days only" school of cycling.  I started my training literally yesterday with 30 mins on the turbo, as its baltic outside, and I'm trying to work off a training plan for 100 miles from this lot... https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/training-plans/article/izn20170109-Understanding-training-Riding-100-miles-0
    My previous longest trips are around 65-70km routes, and I fairly regularly do a decent amount of very slow climbing.  I've two questions for the wisdom of the board to ask....
    1) I normally spin on flat routes at around 27-30 kph, this entire tour is pretty flat - the start is bunched according to your expectation of what speed you'll do the whole thing in - 40 kph, 35 kph, 30 kph, 25 kph and 23kph is the slowest they allow you to be....how much slower will i probably be over the extra distance?  I'm guessing I will probably end up signing up for 25kph..but then its in a group and I'll be able to shamelessly suck other peoples wheel for the duration.....
    2) Training plans seem to mostly call for roughly 4 sessions a week - this seems just about doable for me but can anyone who has made a jump from 70km to 170 ish comment on whether I have enough time still ?  Its 12 weeks away and I've never really done ANY endurance sports....the fear is strong.....:blink:.  I'm otherwise reasonably fit and active and just south of 50....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Well done for signing up - nothing like a challenge to get the mind focused!

I think it is doable and while 40kmph average over a 176km course is nearing the pro peloton I think a 23-25 kmph average is a realistic goal. What will be key is to break your plan down into smaller intermediary goals - there are a raft of sportives which you could use to build up your endurance on another thread so if you are able to comfortably reach 150-160 by early May you will be in good condition to tackle the event. As for turbo work, it will increase your speed or specific aspects (pedaling dynamics, breathing, recovery after exertions etc.) but I would prioritise getting the mileage in as long as weather dictates unless you can stomach longer active recovery/ sweet spot turbo sessions.

Good luck with the preparation!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Great, tks....I'll need the weather man to lend a hand as I suspect more than 40 mins on the turbo would lead to a lot of self pity ......

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Can you cycle to work? Would be a handy way to get some more kms in each day.

QueensGael wrote: »
    Can you cycle to work? Would be a handy way to get some more kms in each day.
    I can and will once the weather changes.  Its only 16kms round trip though, with a nice climb home....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

I did the Galway Cycle a few years ago without the starting point you had - it was literally couch to 200k for me. The training plan was simply go out with the group once a week, twice if you have the time, and do 10km more than you did last week. With 12 weeks to go and starting form 70km already, you should be fine.

• Advertisement

Steoller wrote: »
    I did the Galway Cycle a few years ago without the starting point you had - it was literally couch to 200k for me. The training plan was simply go out with the group once a week, twice if you have the time, and do 10km more than you did last week. With 12 weeks to go and starting form 70km already, you should be fine.
    ok, thats great to hear!  well done on your ct200k!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I am also doing this this year (though the Geneva-Geneva route). I have cycled around the lake previously on my own having never gone past 50k - though stopping half way for a burger helped :D.You could not ask for a nicer route. It is almost completely flat and on decent roads the whole way. There can be some pretty strong winds, but not generally at that time of year. The roads won't be closed for the cycle which is one thing to bear in mind. You get all sorts doing the cycle every year so you'll be far from the least prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was hoping to do that while I was in Switzerland, but never got the chance in the end. It's on my bucket list as I need a photo on my bike in front of the Freddie Mercury statue.
    Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm ashamed of my Goal of 100k by the mid summer lookong at these distances lol

Granted I've never cycled before and prior to 8 weeks ago 25k was my longest cycle of any description

I'm at 75k now.. The head wind and cold nearly killed me last week so failed to go further than the 75k the previous week.

I never appreciated the effect a moderate wind can habe on a cycle. It took from an average of 23kmph to 16kmph into the wind. Average 30kmph in opposite direction

It's worth remembering if you are working towards the goal of doing a long Sportive event that you're (well hopefully) going to be in a group that works together. Did my first two last year. Now it still hurt but I don't think I'd have been able for it alone and shared work aside even the moral support and advice I got from other riders when I got cramp and started to struggle was a massive part in making it to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

In my experience I found that the jump from 70km spins to 100+ and 150+ was mainly a matter of managing the fatigue in the later stages.

Once you're regularly training and slowly dialing up the distance as you train you should be fine.

And if you haven't done any sportives or races before - it's probably worth doing one or two in the lead up. Getting used to cycling in a group will make it a lot easier to relax into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

It's all about fuelling properly. I don't think there's a big difference between middle and long distance rides once you get your fuelling strategy right. Eat little and often works for me. Drink regularly. Should be able to maintain 25kph in a group quite easily if you're able for 27-30 on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

The general rule of thumb is that you should be doing the distance that you want to do on the day of the big event per week for several weeks leading up to the event, and if possible have done a few spins up to 60/70% of the distance before hand.

So ideally the OP would have worked up to 175km per week for 3 or 4 weeks prior to the event, including one longish spin a week and also done 1 or 2 spins of about 120km, with all that under his/her belt the 175km should be reasonably comfortable on the day if the pacing and fueling strategy is good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can and will once the weather changes.  Its only 16kms round trip though, with a nice climb home....

If you can do this comfortably, with the odd long spin thrown in at the weekends, you will be grand.

Its 12 weeks away, start commuting ASAP

Then every weekend, build on the numbers.

First weekend, do 30km at whatever pace feels good for you. Go onto google maps, pick somewhere 15km away you would like coffee, cake, scenery or all of the above and go there. Then, feel ****ty on Sunday.

2nd weekend, pick somewhere 20km away and repeat.

You will miss some weekends but so long as you are tipping away at similar averages and are hitting close to 45km each way on your final trips, comfortably, you will be fine.

On any given Sunday, any cyclists can double their doable distance. Maybe ungracefully but it is doable.

If you can do 90km on Irish roads at 20kmph average (including breaks) before you go, you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi all,
    I've JUST started training for a 176km event on around the end of May  http://www.cyclotour.ch/parcours/180-km-le-tour-du-lac/ .... but I am very firmly in the "rank amateur, sunny days only" school of cycling. 

It's a very flat cycle probably on good roads. With that in mind and if you want to make it easy as possible do the following
    *learn how to ride in a group, join maybe the 30km/h group but sit in a do no work.
    *the steadier the pace the easier it'll be so shout "lads out the back" when too fast and "ffs pedal down the hill when too slow"
    You'll fly around putting out about 100W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

From seeing riders in our Club leisure group taking the step up in distance over the years .
    The One thing that stands out is people's mental strength.
    People who think of the Distance as in the Number no matter how strong they are often find it hardest.
    175km @ 25 kph is 7 hours cycling + breaks so it's a long day.
    Time on the bike even if only your commute is working for you. Having to get on the bike on days you want to leave it at home is preparing you for the times in an event when things get tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

gaffmaster wrote: »
    It's all about fuelling properly. I don't think there's a big difference between middle and long distance rides once you get your fuelling strategy right. Eat little and often works for me. Drink regularly. Should be able to maintain 25kph in a group quite easily if you're able for 27-30 on your own.
    I second this. Eating and drinking little and often will get you over the line. You don't want to bonk because you were enjoying the spin and forgot to eat. The importance of this cannot be overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

While 'more gear' is not the answer, I'd be sure to have (and use) at least one better-than-ALDI pair of shorts. Depending on budget, preference, whatever special offers you get... On a long day, especially on the flat (less time out of the saddle, standing), the right shorts can really help.

I like Sportful Total Comfort myself, but some people find them too thick, and prefer a thinner option.

Lots of choice on sportpursuit, or your local bike shop, or...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sort out what kind of sweets you will bring with you, you don't want to get a sore tummy from a new brand of jellies on the day.
    Don't plan on using gels- they will probably give you a bad tummy, but bring one or 2 in case you get the knock

Apart from that its just time on the bike, and getting your head around it. You'll probably have some time when you feel a bit down, but this will pass. Break the spin down so you say it's only 6 km to the next town or turn or whatever, instead of thinking 120 gone, 60 to go.

Well this didn't go as expected... was finishing a 70km spin last weekend, coming to a t junction, i stupidly presumed a car in front of me was going to turn, it didn't, i ended up falling sideways into a temporary road sign and breaking my shoulder. ****e and biscuits. Always next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Well this didn't go as expected... was finishing a 70km spin last weekend, coming to a t junction, i stupidly presumed a car in front of me was going to turn, it didn't, i ended up falling sideways into a temporary road sign and breaking my shoulder. ****e and biscuits. Always next year.

Ouch, I feel your pain.

I dislocated and fractured mine on Feb 4th a very sore injury. Today I was back on the club spin so don't lose heart, after the initial hurt settles focus on returning better and stronger.

Thread resurrection - back  on the bike FINALLY on Saturday, got in 63km with 1000 metres of climbing.  In retrospect, too much too soon as I bonked badly on the climb and had to stop for 15 mins to recover (not die).  Back on the quest for a big spin over the summer, think i'll be able to stretch it out from here.  Was horrified at how much fitness I'd lost in a short period of time, I'd say my granny would have gone quicker and she's dead 10 years.

Advertisement