Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POWERFUL sash clamp needed

• 27-02-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I need to clamp a number of large items (think 4 inch beams) together repeatedy and quickly.

I am looking for a large powerful sash clamp but all I see is small ones with twist hand operated handles.

I am really looking for something you can really lever together with arm strength.

Seeing as its coming up a blank I am tempted to cannibalise a calving jack or a superjaws.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

searh for t bar sash clamps. I have 2 t bars and they are great. much better than the normal ones I have. most of the big suppliers have them. a quick google shows . ronaynes(my tools.ie ) , mcquillans, I depot , caulfields all have them .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Why the emphasis on power??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

G-Man wrote: »
    I need to clamp a number of large items (think 4 inch beams) together repeatedy and quickly.

I am looking for a large powerful sash clamp but all I see is small ones with twist hand operated handles.

I am really looking for something you can really lever together with arm strength.

Seeing as its coming up a blank I am tempted to cannibalise a calving jack or a superjaws.

Sounds like you could make some with beams end stops and wedges, drop in your beams, knock your wedges, clamped.

tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you're buying T bar sash cramps try to get goods ones such as Record , as lot of the cheaper one will not pull the timber square and the thread for tightening them is often shorter than the space between the holes which can be very annoying.

An alternative if you are joining 4 inch wide boards is to drill 12mm holes 6 inches apart in something like a 10 inch long pieces of 3✖2 and pull them together with10mm threaded bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The clamping strength of sash clamps depends on the thread size. The best , by a long shot are the now defunct Record clamps and their copies which are still available. However, even with 4" beams you should be able to nip them up - no need for massive strength which will probably damage the piece.

• Advertisement
Advertisement