Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of insight into treadmill training

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Djoucer wrote: »
    4-5% is way too high a gradient on any treadmill Ive used in order to replicate road running. You'd end up running on a constant slant for starters.

1% works for me.

Treadmills are great for intervals/hill reps etc. Good mentally too. Doing a lot of sessions this winter indoors

I would agree with that , I didn't even bother setting it at 1% , I don't want to change form like i'm running up a hill .

The goal of the workout for me doing 6 x 1mile was faster leg turnover , I don't really mind if the treadmill is 10 seconds a mile out once it feels in the right effort range , I set my warm up at 11km/h and got into a jogging rhythm then moved it up to 15-16km/h until my legs where turning over much quicker to maintain pace , its also easy to cheat the treadmill by getting lots of air time and over striding so I try keep it honest and concentrate on high cadence.

I would take the readings from them with a pinch of salt in regards distance and pace but they are a useful tool if used correctly IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

This winter has seen relentlessly **** weather which has lead to alot of treadmill runs for me. Normally I just do 1 run a week on the treadmill and that is the tempo run. Find the treadmill ideal for the tempo As we are at the end of March hopefully there will be no more snow or icy conditions so can get back to running outdoors again.

Advertisement