Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable dress for wedding guest

• 27-02-2018 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭

Have a family wedding in the summer. Spied this dress in Debenhams at the weekend and it looks gorgeous but I didn't get a chance to try it on. Wondering from your goodselves if it would be wedding appropriate or if it's more along the lines of bridesmaid territory or too light in colour for someone not in the wedding party? Or it's it's too young looking for me.
    I'm 5ft 2, size 8-10 on top and 10-12 on bottom, early 30's small chest, shoulder length blonde hair.

http://www.phase-eight.com/eu/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/sable-embroidered-dress/204423675

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Gorgeous dress, so pretty.
    I can't see how it wouldn't be deemed appropriate at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That's a lovely dress, not typical bridesmaid style at all, and it sounds like it will suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I disagree. Colour is far too bride like, it looks ivory to me. I know close up you can see some blue but from a distance it just looks ivory lace so could be a wedding dress and I would always err in the side if caution at risk of upsetting bride.
    To be honest I think you could get much nicer dress for much less money.
    By the sounds of your shape/ figure I think a fitted pencil dress would suit you, pastel blue might be nice with your hair and is very in this summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I disagree with just about everything that was said above. The dress to me looks pink, I can't see much light blue in it. I think it's perfectly ok for wedding guest and the shape is perfect for someone who is about a size bigger on bottom than top. It's a nice dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, a beautiful dress: yes, it IS a bit pale and bride-like - but with a little shrug/wrap and a bag, shoes etc in a stronger colour, it would be fine. [Cobalt blue?]

However, I would NOT go for pale, gold, or nude-tones in accessories; that'd be pushing the borders of "appropriate"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks for the replies all. Love the style and design of the dress. It's an ivory overlay and underneath is pinky peachy nude. I wouldn't be made about putting strong accessories with it, thinking it would overshadow the dress.

Wouldn't be the most comfortable in a pencil dress, have a tummy and magic knickers can only do so much! :D

The wedding isn't til the summer so I'm not in a panic but will be having an eye open from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

It’s a nice dress but needs some kind of strong colour with it. Otherwise it’s too pale and a bit meh. You could play up the pinky background to the dress with darker toned pink accessories. I definitely wouldn’t be going for a light wrap or anything..it’ll just blend in too much with the dress.

Agree with the dark accessories.

20% off phase eight at the mo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think it’s inappropriate. It’s too close to a bridal colour. Beautiful dress - but not for a wedding.

I think it’s inappropriate. It’s too close to a bridal colour. Beautiful dress - but not for a wedding.

So what sort of occasion would you wear it to, if not a wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Addle wrote: »
    So what sort of occasion would you wear it to, if not a wedding?

Another day party - a family get together, a christening, communion etc. Also great for a date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@Sunny Dayz

What about this beautiful dress?

http://www.phase-eight.com/eu/fcp/product/phase-eight/sale-dresses/adalyn-jacquard-dress/203736751

You could wear it with nude tights or no tights at all. Add a nice pair of nude heels and a nice black clutch bag, some accessories and your all set.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement