Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League North v South Game Idea (Lukaku)

• 27-02-2018 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Romelu Lukaku has suggested a worthwhile game as a fundraiser would be a North v South match between the best of each in the PL. (Not sure where the line dividing N and S is but I suppose it would be Birmingham with WBA in the north)

http://www.the42.ie/lukaku-suggests-premier-league-follows-nba-with-all-star-game-3874246-Feb2018/

If a spot could be found for this at the start of the season I think it could be a cracker.

Obviously we can now have a good argument about the two sides and the managers - (obviously the north would win on pure player quality)

North

De Gea
    Walker-Stones--Van Dyke--Robertson
    Matic
    KDB
    Pogba ;)
    --Salah
    Aguero----Sterling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd V Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Who gets Mahrez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The North.

What about, let me think of a hard one, ...what about the Vietnamese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Premier league All Star game I'm surprised that hasn't happened already to be honest since QB's and Basketball terms are now commonplace in soccer.

Maybe that will be the winter break game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The 39th game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It would be better than the Community Shield anyway.

Cant see it happening at all.

Think the North would win easy enough too.

Assuming 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 the south would probably be

Courtois
    Azp Vertonghen Alderweirld Alonso
    Kante Dembele
    Alli Eriksen Hazard
    Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

My twitter is going mad all night and today because the teams I listed got featured on some twitter moment or something. Not sure why mine was picked! :pac: 50,000 impressions & 1700 engagements.

North: DDG; Walker, VVD, Kompany, Robertson; Fernandinho, Pogba, KDB; Sterling, Aguero, Salah.
    South: Courtois, Azpi, Alderweild, Vertonghen, Davies; Dembele, Fabregas; Eriksen; Hazard Ozil; Kane

some tough choices on both teams, and some problem areas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

To do it properly and not just have this you would probably have to have some rules about who you could pick. Maybe something like a maximum of 2 players from each PL team in each squad. It would probably make it a bit harder to break it into a direct North vs South game as you would want to try have an even split of PL teams on each side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

matrim wrote: »
    To do it properly and not just have this you would probably have to have some rules about who you could pick. Maybe something like a maximum of 2 players from each PL team in each squad. It would probably make it a bit harder to break it into a direct North vs South game as you would want to try have an even split of PL teams on each side.

Nobody wants to see Ashely Barnes upfront in an all star game. :o

To market it for the foriegn audience, theyed have to pick the best players available from the best teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Nobody wants to see Ashely Barnes upfront in an all star game. :o

To market it for the foriegn audience, theyed have to pick the best players available from the best teams.

After all, it's not about sport, it's about money.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

North

De Gea

---Walker
    Bailly
    Laporte
    Robertson--

De Bruyne
    Fernandinho
    Silva

Salah
    Aguero
    Sanchez

South

Courtois

---Trippier
    Alderweireld
    Vertonghen
    Alonso--

Kante
    Dembele

Eriksen
    Alli
    Hazard

Kane

Verdict: North has the greater firepower but the South looks more defensively sound. I reckon a bit of individual brilliance from the North would seal it 2-1.

Surely it has to incorporate the seasons form though. You can't have players like Toby Alderweireld or Vinny Kompany waltzing in having not played much.
    People too inclusive of the big sides too. Lads like James Tarkowski and Shane Duffy have had fantastic seasons.

Who would manage the North and South? Poch for the South surely, Pep then Klopp for the north presumably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who would manage the North and South? Poch for the South surely, Pep then Klopp for the north presumably.

Conte every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

matrim wrote:

I wouldn't limit the picks per team but set it to a vote. Either pl players vote privately in April or set a public vote. The public vote may be skewed slightly with the vast amount of fan numbers differing from club to club though.

Plus you cannot trust the internet when footy mcfootyface or berahino starts up front as a piss take online campaign by the other set of fans to improve their own teams chances.

I'd like to see the 22 best players per position on the field and not 2 west Brom players because they have to be included.

Maybe if the players were just picked using agreed stats per position. Like the 22 best fantasy football scorers or best rated opta stats per position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dyche (North) & Hughton (South)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There would probably be so many "injuries" it'd end up with the likes of Bravo, Ings, Llorente and Elneny playing instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It would be better than the Community Shield anyway.

Cant see it happening at all.

Think the North would win easy enough too.

Assuming 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 the south would probably be

Courtois
    Azp Vertonghen Alderweirld Alonso
    Kante Dembele
    Alli Eriksen Hazard
    Kane

They should have it in place of the community shield.. it would definitely draw more sponsors and fans.. you could even use the shield as the trophy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

North

De Gea

---Walker
    Lascelles
    Laporte
    Delph--

De Bruyne
    Pogba
    Silva

Salah
    Aguero
    Firmino

South

Courtois

---Moses
    Alderweireld
    Azpilicueta
    Monreal--

Kante
    Dembele

Ozil
    Arnautović
    Hazard

Kane

Stole Mr Nice Guys layout :o

I'd like to see whom from the smaller teams would get picked
    Presume Vardy/Marhez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FYP

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

An all star game instead of the charity shield would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Sure why not?

North:

De Gea
    Walker, Otamendi, Van Dijk, Robertson
    De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Silva
    Salah, Aguero, Sterling

I would like Firmino in there but he does his best work centrally so Sterling gets the last spot.

South:

Courtois
    Azpilicueta, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Bertrand
    Kante, Dembele,
    Eriksen, Arnautovic, Hazard
    Kane

I wouldn’t have Alonso anywhere near a back 4. Spurs have 2 better left full backs than him! I think Bertrand is probably the best LB in the league at the moment, as there aren’t really any stand out options.

Managers would be Jose and Wenger in the hope we see a scrap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The south couldn't have Pochetino as manager as presumably there'd be a trophy on hand, and he's incapable of winning trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not sure where the line dividing N and S is but I suppose it would be Birmingham with WBA in the north.

Watford, if the Premier League and FA are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think it'd be better to do a top 2 vote getters get to school yard pick the players in from votes, rather than a North vs South.

You could have the starting 11 made up from the highest vote getters at each position (maybe something like 50% fans, 25% press, 25% coaches/captains vote split), and then the overall squad made up for coach/captain votes and have a minimum of 1 per PL team represented.

I reckon you might end up with like De Gea and Salah as captain for this season and they'd pick from the remaining 20 selected as starters, which would be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

After all, it's not about sport, it's about money.

Welcome to the premier league boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

They should bring back old historic managers to be coaches for a day. Maybe Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They should bring back old historic managers to be coaches for a day. Maybe Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger for example.

Managers of teams outside the top six would be interesting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I think a football match featuring multi millionaires from overseas who happen to be paid by clubs in the North of England owned by multi billionaires from overseas...not sure it captures the heart of why the North and South are different in the first place.

I think left footers v right footers would be more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I think a football match featuring multi millionaires from overseas who happen to be paid by clubs in the North of England owned by multi billionaires from overseas...not sure it captures the heart of why the North and South are different in the first place.

I think left footers v right footers would be more interesting.

is there any idea in the history of the world that you've found something positive in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

is there any idea in the history of the world that you've found something positive in?

Popular consensus is here ---->

<---- is where Conor lies.

A contrarian for the sake of it.

Salty! :D

Advertisement