Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a train / light rail driver

• 27-02-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Would love to hear the thoughts of any Irish Rail employees on these boards as I'm interested in careers in transportation and want to learn more about what it's like.
    What would you say is the average age of IR workers? And what is typically the starting age?
    Would it be a disadvantage that I'm female?
    Also, what skills would you say are essential?
    Finally, with all the technological advances (e.g. self-driving vehicles), is there any concern about job stability in future? 
    Really appreciate any thoughts you can share. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You have next to no chance of been accepted by Irish Rail because they don't advertise externally for drivers. You either have to work for CIE or already within IE to have a realistic hope of a job. Most will have spent a few years working so the starting age will be a little older.

I know of at least one female driver based in Cork/Kerry area so probally not an issue.

Luas took on more females than males for the cross city line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There's a female driver on the dart and the enterprise and Dublin commuter. Being female is no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Actually a driver told me only last week that Irish Rail will be advertising externally soon.

Actually a driver told me only last week that Irish Rail will be advertising externally soon.

CIE must be running out of capable people for the job :p

Will be progress if it happens, I have no problem with internal recruitment but it should be based on qualifications (not the group you work for) and both internal and external people should be given a fair chance to apply for a role.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Will be progress if it happens, I have no problem with internal recruitment but it should be based on qualifications (not the group you work for) and both internal and external people should be given a fair chance to apply for a role.

Na, in house first. If no takers then from outside.. I can see what you are getting at but what's the point in adding to the work force when you can have applications from staff already in the workforce who wants to move up the pay scale job wise. It would be unfair to be stuck in an entry level grade with no hope of progressing because they decide to hire from outside.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Na, in house first. If no takers then from outside.. I can see what you are getting at but what's the point in adding to the work force when you can have applications from staff already in the workforce who wants to move up the pay scale job wise. It would be unfair to be stuck in an entry level grade with no hope of progressing because they decide to hire from outside.

They should have a fair chance internally as well.

I think I remember reading in the last few months when discussing the various striking/driver training a post alleging that IE dropped standards for the recent intake of drivers which does take the current approach into question if correct.

They can't drop standards. Anyone can apply but not everyone will pass the tests and the course.

They can't drop standards. Anyone can apply but not everyone will pass the tests and the course.

Maybe it was the test rates were lower than usual. I just recall a comment about it anyway. Of course no idea how accurate it is or isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

In the past they had a large number of employees who could be promoted up the driving line.

Nowadays so much railway work is performed by contractors that the choice of employees is reduced.
    Track maintenance, signal maintenance, security and cleaning has all been privatised through contracting out to the lowest tender.
    These jobs were for a century and a half done by career railwaymen.

They still do with contractors working with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

tabbey wrote: »
    In the past they had a large number of employees who could be promoted up the driving line.

Nowadays so much railway work is performed by contractors that the choice of employees is reduced.
    Track maintenance, signal maintenance, security and cleaning has all been privatised through contracting out to the lowest tender.
    These jobs were for a century and a half done by career railwaymen.

Also there are now far less station and on-board staff as more stations are now unmanned for most of the day or at all times and most trains in this country are now driver only operated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Also there are now far less station and on-board staff as more stations are now unmanned for most of the day or at all times and most trains in this country are now driver only operated.

This is my point, stations which were formerly cleaned by station porter / railman / depotman, are now cleaned by contractor's employees travelling often by road vehicle. Most of these are badly paid unfortunates being exploited by greedy entrepreneurs.

Did you ring up ISS and ask how much they pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some lads these days are happy arsing around the platform until retirement, not bothering moving on or bettering themselves.

Train driving isn't for everyone.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

Yes, it is'nt. The hours can be antisocial, and the lifestyle has a near military rigidity. Its as much a vocation as a career in a lot of respects, considering you are responsible for the welfare of 200+ or more passengers at least.

Advertisement