Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding radiator - broke the twisty knob thingy

• 27-02-2018 6:34pm

Sorry to be all technical but:
    I was bleeding the radiator and the little bit - y'know, the twisty knob thingy (TKT) - broke off in the radiator key! Fortunately, it was in a closed position at the time so I don't have water spewing out of it.

It is actually broken rather than unscrewed.

Is this beyond repair? I'm guessing so and that I need to order a new radiator once the ice melts...just wanted to check here in case there is an alternative. I'm actually not that knowledgeable about this despite being well up on the terminology.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Do you have a pic of the thingy?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Assuming it's an older round top rad, you could use something like this to create a new bleed valve:
    https://easibleed.co.uk

But the broken bleed valve should be removable, by drilling it out or if you can, cut a slot in it with a rotary tool then use a flathead to unscrew it.

If your current rad is Imperial size, then repairing it might be less hastle than fitting a modern metric rad.

It was just a small circle of metal. Here's what was left.

I like the look of that easibleed thingy. At least it say 'no DIY skills needed'. Removing the broken bleed valve sounds more complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Don't Panic! :)

Go to your local plumbing shop and show them this picture or alternatively you could order them through screwfix

Make sure both radiator valves are turned off.
    Put some old towel on the floor under the problem end of the rad.
    Use a spanner to remove outer hexagonal nut with the broken bit from the radiator.
    Scrape some of the paint layer away.
    Fit new one back into radiator ensuring that the O ring makes a good seal.
    Open valves, checking for leaks, tighten more if required.
    Open centre vent screw to vent rad as required.
    Job done!

443160.jpeg

Thanks a million - will give this a try. Bit nervous about making a good seal but worth a go. Failing that, will call plumber...next week some time. Nobody is going anywhere this side of Sunday!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Don't Panic! :)

Go to your local plumbing shop and show them this picture or alternatively you could order them through screwfix

Make sure both radiator valves are turned off.
    Put some old towel on the floor under the problem end of the rad.
    Use a spanner to remove outer hexagonal nut with the broken bit from the radiator.
    Scrape some of the paint layer away.
    Fit new one back into radiator ensuring that the O ring makes a good seal.
    Open valves, checking for leaks, tighten more if required.
    Open centre vent screw to vent rad as required.
    Job done!

443160.jpeg

Wrong ones.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

aujopimur wrote: »
    Wrong ones.

With respect to the op, perhaps you should elaborate.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

aujopimur wrote: »
    Wrong ones.

At first I did think it was the smaller version, but looking at the bulge on the radiator I presumed it to be the larger ones.
    Need a ruler up against it as a guide to measurement to determine for sure, but either way, both sizes are available, are not expensive, and changing them is the same procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Wearb wrote: »
    With respect to the op, perhaps you should elaborate.
    1/4 BSP vent is what you need, go to a dedicated plumbing store for it.

Advertisement