Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese for Leaving cert

Options
  • 27-02-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I know that I can take Japanese for my leaving cert and I am self teaching, I want to take Japanese for the leaving cert but last year my principle reduced to order the papers for some student and I was wondering where I stand legally in this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Legally, no idea.
    But I think what you're doing is a massive distraction from the subjects you should be studying and I can't blame the school for not wanting to encourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scrawletonxd

Tenigate wrote: »
    Legally, no idea.
    But I think what you're doing is a massive distraction from the subjects you should be studying and I can't blame the school for not wanting to encourage it.

It isn't really a distraction because I'm taking it from time I would have probably spent gaming to pick up a new language that will get me more points than the subjects I'm bad at, if I were to not take it I would guarantee I would end up with less points than have not done it, but thanks for the input ^•^;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your Principal is not the one 'ordering' papers. That may be a story that has grown legs.

Find your school's Examinations Secretary. It will probably be one of the senior teachers. Tell them you want to enter for Japanese. Any trouble, tell them you will contact Athlone.

It is nothing to do with the school. It is between you and the SEC, though it may be a little late now. The orals are planned to start April 9th so the SEC would need to know schools to plan the number of assessors they need etc..
    Do it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭derb12

Are you in 5th year? If so, next year you will get a form from the dept of education with all your exam subjects and levels on it. You can add Japanese to it yourself. Then papers will automatically be ordered for you. I think it's the e8 or e7 form.
    By the way, I've come across lots of students who thought Japanese was the points jackpot but didn't do very well at it. One time a student who was a great natural linguist got an A but most students would have gotten more points if they spent the time working harder at their other subjects. Good luck whatever you decide.

spurious wrote: »
    Your Principal is not the one 'ordering' papers. That may be a story that has grown legs.

Find your school's Examinations Secretary. It will probably be one of the senior teachers. Tell them you want to enter for Japanese. Any trouble, tell them you will contact Athlone.

It is nothing to do with the school. It is between you and the SEC, though it may be a little late now. The orals are planned to start April 9th so the SEC would need to know schools to plan the number of assessors they need etc..
    Do it tomorrow.
    Thanks I'm actually in there year so this is perfect! Thank you so much for the straight answer ^•^
    Thanks I'm actually in there year so this is perfect! Thank you so much for the straight answer ^•^

Third year*
    derb12 wrote: »
    Are you in 5th year? If so, next year you will get a form from the dept of education with all your exam subjects and levels on it. You can add Japanese to it yourself. Then papers will automatically be ordered for you. I think it's the e8 or e7 form.
    By the way, I've come across lots of students who thought Japanese was the points jackpot but didn't do very well at it. One time a student who was a great natural linguist got an A but most students would have gotten more points if they spent the time working harder at their other subjects. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks for the info! Helped a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just speculating here, but is it possible that your principal refused to order MOCKS papers for subjects that the school doesn't actually offer to facilitate one or two students taking the subject outside school, and by the time the story filtered down to 3rd year it had, as spurious said, "grown legs"?

Given that we are currently in Mocks season, and this story is cropping up now?

Just speculating here, but is it possible that your principal refused to order MOCKS papers for subjects that the school doesn't actually offer to facilitate one or two students taking the subject outside school, and by the time the story filtered down to 3rd year it had, as spurious said, "grown legs"?

Given that we are currently in Mocks season, and this story is cropping up now?

I don't know the person but he never got the paper in the end because they refused him, I don't know what happened but I do know he never sat the paper for the leaving cert and not the mocks, I should probably also add this happened last year.

Advertisement