Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Bus and the Beast

Options
  • 27-02-2018 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

As the Beast From The East approaches I'm planning to avoid some mishaps from the big freeze of 2010. Minus six is being forecast for Thursday.

As well as the obvious things like making sure the gas boiler is drained down, I've emptied the mixer taps of water as much as possible - they froze solid and the shower tap split the last time. It took a few strip downs of the shower unit to locate the invisible crack in the plastic block.

Almost worse was where the waste drainage pipe cracked in an inaccessible place under the double floor and it took months to locate the source of the mysterious drip from underneath the van after the sink or shower was used.

I'm going to make up a crude antifreeze solution of brine and pour it down the sinks so that it displaces any lying water in the pipes.

What extra precautions - if any - are you taking during the cold spell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    As the Beast From The East approaches I'm planning to avoid some mishaps from the big freeze of 2010. Minus six is being forecast for Thursday.

As well as the obvious things like making sure the gas boiler is drained down, I've emptied the mixer taps of water as much as possible - they froze solid and the shower tap split the last time. It took a few strip downs of the shower unit to locate the invisible crack in the plastic block.

Almost worse was where the waste drainage pipe cracked in an inaccessible place under the double floor and it took months to locate the source of the mysterious drip from underneath the van after the sink or shower was used.

I'm going to make up a crude antifreeze solution of brine and pour it down the sinks so that it displaces any lying water in the pipes.

What extra precautions - if any - are you taking during the cold spell?
    Batteries fully charged, plug in if necessary. Low charge will allow the electrolyte to freeze possibly splitting the battery case.

EditedFinal.png

If it can't handle -6°C it's scrap metal.

Advertisement