Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breathable jacket

Options
  • 27-02-2018 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking to buy a jacket, the key point I suppose is its intended use: just used for walking on cold days, trying not to be in the rain and not climbing mountains or anything strenuous.

I see there are breathable jackets - but would this only really come in to effect if one was doing strenuous activity?

Secondly, if you have indeed got a breathable jacket, is it only as good as what you have on underneath i.e if the garments on underneath are not breathable, will they just more a less cancel out the breathable bit of the jacket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Breathable means that they can let out some moisture and heat without letting anything else back in. While it generally is ideal for those who are out walking or running and being active, it can also be handy if you are, say, on a crowded bus or train or even on humid or clammy rain days, or also if you've come out of a gym session or a sports match. You will generally be fine with civvies on as you just want it to be a coat, once you are not overdressed underneath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Breathable means that they can let out some moisture and heat without letting anything else back in. While it generally is ideal for those who are out walking or running and being active, it can also be handy if you are, say, on a crowded bus or train or even on humid or clammy rain days, or also if you've come out of a gym session or a sports match. You will generally be fine with civvies on as you just want it to be a coat, once you are not overdressed underneath.

Thanks for detailed reply.
    The jacket I bought is non breathable, is it worth my while getting a breathable one, based on my needs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The jacket I bought is non breathable, is it worth my while getting a breathable one, based on my needs

Theres a great saying in the service industry; rather be looking at it than looking for it. Remember that on the day when you are getting rained on or wind cut and your Superdry puffer is breaking your heart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Only if you anticipate sweating in it.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I have Goretex (Cabelas) and eVent and a Montane Precip. All waterproof and "claimed" breathable. They're, in my opinion, not breathable, hence for example, the Montane Precip has mesh pockets and pit zips. All very well to let the heat out, oh, but they're breathable, so why all the vents and mesh pockets etc.

Look at Buffalo,
    http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/

I bought their Windshirt and wear it constantly, well, walking to work daily and hiking in the hills. Completely breathable, not waterproof but water doesn't really get in, deflected. I've worn it on Lug. in horizontal rain, wind......dried out when the rain stopped, completely, whereas a Waterproof material will be wet on the inside from your condensation, sweat, till you take it off.

Pertex is where it's at imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, I think this whole breathable membrane thing is a bit of a hoax. The official tests for breathability are performed under ideal, totally unrealistic, conditions for use in our climate, 35C inside temp and 21C outside with no rain. Goretex and other membranes work well under these ideal conditions, but drop the outside temp and add a bit of rain, and what you have on the inside of your jacket is condensation, not water vapour, and that's just going to stay inside your jacket and keep you wet.

There are other alternative fabric technologies out there, Pertex as used by Buffalo amongst other is one, Paramo with their Analogy fabric and Keela with their System Dual Protection is another. All three are used extensively by Mountain Rescue teams in the UK and Ireland for very good reasons.

http://www.keela.co.uk/system-dual-protection

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/performancetechnology/#One

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/advice/how-works/

All three systems involve the use of a wicking fabric layer on the inside to carry away liquid water rather than the mythical water vapour that Goretex claims to get rid of.

Personally I'm a Paramo convert, and again have been out in all conditions in it. Occasionally when I've forgotten to wash / proof it for a while it stops beading and the outside layer wets out, but the fine pile on the outside of the inner lining repels it and I still stay dry.

The other massive advantage to all three systems is that since there is no membrane, any tears or rips can be repaired simply by sewing, no tapes or other sealants requires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks for replies, was thinking alright that the whole breathable thing could be a bit of codology.

Advertisement