Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online furniture auction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭amber2

Hi All

The Auction site seems to be working fine there now. There was a technical issue ( I sort of expected there might be as can be with anything new). Plenty of bidding, so very happy with it so far. We will do our best to improve it as time goes on and are always open to suggestions for all you guys on here. Thanks for hanging in there with us.

First guy to post I love the Big Mickey Auction gets a free 15 tog duvet in either double or Kingsize. (just to keep you interested)

There doesn’t seem to be any way
    Of telling what size the duvet you are bidding on is, may help if it is stated in The listings. I know all the pics shows a double just not to sure.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

RossieMan wrote: »
    any pictures of those computer chairs yet mick?

the auction part of the website is a bit clunky to search around.

Hi RossieMan

I am snowed in. Could not get out on to the road this morning with all the snow so have not been able to get pictures. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather improves. The Auction part of the site is a trial and error for this first auction. We will improve on it as the days go by and have it in much better order for next month's auction.

Thanks

Bigmickey.ie Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

just not good enough mick, out you go and get me my pictures.

amber2 wrote: »
    There doesn’t seem to be any way
    Of telling what size the duvet you are bidding on is, may help if it is stated in The listings. I know all the pics shows a double just not to sure.

Hi amber2

I noticed that myself earlier but we had enough on our hands trying to get the site running faster. I will get it sorted shortly but it does not matter as we have hundreds in stock so you can just state if successful if it's double or king that you want but I was ask them to update it now in a few mins.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Big Mickey

RossieMan wrote: »
    just not good enough mick, out you go and get me my pictures.

OK so, I'm getting out the shovel or better still , I'll phone "Joe Duffy" It's simply just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

TheDriver wrote: »
    right boys and girls, let's straighten up this thread and stop the shenanigans. OP posted a bargain and big mickey through his verified account has engaged with posters. No pickering or I'll start whipping out my warning cards. If you feel wound up, go throw a few snowballs or sonething

Not "pickering" or anything, but why aren't verified representatives restricted to Talk To or "Sponsored Forums" (as Gearbest have) ?

Isn't the idea behind Bargain Alerts that Joe Public post in these threads and add their own comments separate from comments direct from retailers?

Just that I've seen countless of these "furniture" Superthreads pop up over the years and they end up becoming a shop front for BM.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Great idea for the business big Mickey
    Still loving the bed I bought from you a couple of years back
    My mate got a John Lewis mattress recently from you down here in cork, he’s sleeping like a baby

Hope the auctions go well

Thanks OmegaGene

Loads of interest toady anyways. Hopefully have a bigger and better auction next month as this is really just a trial run. Any suggestions welcome.

Glad to hear you are still sleeping well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Was looking at the auction lots there a little while ago.

Like others everything felt clunky, most likely due to traffic (something that may need to be looked at for next time if the site is not able to cope with demand)

A good variety of lots there. I may just watch this one through, and look at next time maybe. Unless something really catches my eye (famous last words in Bargain Alerts)

Was looking at the auction lots there a little while ago.

Like others everything felt clunky, most likely due to traffic (something that may need to be looked at for next time if the site is not able to cope with demand)

A good variety of lots there. I may just watch this one through, and look at next time maybe. Unless something really catches my eye (famous last words in Bargain Alerts)

Thanks robynmorton

We had a lot of traffic yesterday so we doubled up on volume. The tech guys are still working on it. Thanks for your input. I will pass this on.

Regards

Bigmickey.ie Team

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

mrcheez wrote: »
    Not "pickering" or anything, but why aren't verified representatives restricted to Talk To or "Sponsored Forums" (as Gearbest have) ?

Isn't the idea behind Bargain Alerts that Joe Public post in these threads and add their own comments separate from comments direct from retailers?

Just that I've seen countless of these "furniture" Superthreads pop up over the years and they end up becoming a shop front for BM.

We've been using Verified Rep accounts on the site for several years now, they are not a new concept and there are quite a few more around than just BigMickey. BM seems to be one of the more popular and engaging company reps, hence lots of posts to about his business. A verified representative of a company is allowed to post in a thread where their company has been mentioned by name.

We offer a few different ways for companies to have a presence on the site and engage with customers; not all brands are going to need a Talk To forum or a Sponsored Forum and a Verified Rep account is just another option we give.

If you have any questions about verified rep accounts, please feel free to PM.

No more off-topic chat on the thread.

• Advertisement

If you have any questions about verified rep accounts, please feel free to PM.

No more off-topic chat on the thread.

Cheers for the reply, I had pm-ed mods a few times and got no response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Thanks robynmorton

We had a lot of traffic yesterday so we doubled up on volume. The tech guys are still working on it. Thanks for your input. I will pass this on.

Regards

Bigmickey.ie Team

Could'nt see it, but an item number - I have bid, but there were several of the same thing and didn't know what the one i bid on was.., I can use the my auctions tab, but it would be good to have to jot it down

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Just a suggestion, shouldn't this thread be moved to 'online buying & auctions' forum?

Could'nt see it, but an item number - I have bid, but there were several of the same thing and didn't know what the one i bid on was.., I can use the my auctions tab, but it would be good to have to jot it down

if you log in and go to my account and on the top right of the screen you will see your account settings. On the left hand side column you will see my auctions. click on that to see everything you have bid on

Thanks

Bigmickey.ie Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

degsie wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, shouldn't this thread be moved to 'online buying & auctions' forum?

Please feel free to stop clogging up my email inbox with alerts that have no relationship to this thread!

I personally have no problem if direct-selling by retailers is permitted through Bargain Alerts (as Niamh mentioned it is earlier). The charter seems a bit redundant in this sense, but I guess if boards is to become like Adverts.ie then so be it.

imho threads with requests to retailers should be put in "Bargain alert requests", and not clogging up user-contributed forums like "Bargain alerts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi bigmickey,

Just looking at the auction now, a great idea! With the buy it now for 5 euro per square metre, cream ceramic tiles, are they floor tiles?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Hi bigmickey,

Just looking at the auction now, a great idea! With the buy it now for 5 euro per square metre, cream ceramic tiles, are they floor tiles?

Hi Rows Grower

Yes, they are floor tiles. The surface is textured. Normally sell with us for 10 euro and about 3 times that in the big shops so definitely a bargain. We have wall tiles also in the warehouse and fire doors and shower trays and much more. Bulk dulex paint coming soon also.

Hi Rows Grower

Yes, they are floor tiles. The surface is textured. Normally sell with us for 10 euro and about 3 times that in the big shops so definitely a bargain. We have wall tiles also in the warehouse and fire doors and shower trays and much more. Bulk dulex paint coming soon also.

Savage stuff man, I'll take 50 metres.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

And I'll be all over that Dulux paint too.

Savage stuff man, I'll take 50 metres.

You can certainly have 50 meters and just in the nick of time. A builder that was watching the "buy it now" on the auction has just confirmed that he will take what's left of them at 5 euro so that's all folks. We will have more tiles next month and much more items also.

As we have said this is a trial run so we will improve greatly on the site for next month hopefully but so far it's getting lots of interest. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

is the site down for anyone else?

NTC wrote: »
    is the site down for anyone else?

Hi

It will be back in a few mins. They are just fixing something I'm told.

Apologies

Thanks

Bigmickey.ie Team

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ThePicker

I have rejoined boards after 10 years just to follow this thread, thanks for that big mickey :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭epopnomis

If I was to get 3 mattresses from you. Can you give me an estimated cost to deliver to Cork area??? Thanks

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    I personally have no problem if direct-selling by retailers is permitted through Bargain Alerts (as Niamh mentioned it is earlier). The charter seems a bit redundant in this sense, but I guess if boards is to become like Adverts.ie then so be it.

imho threads with requests to retailers should be put in "Bargain alert requests", and not clogging up user-contributed forums like "Bargain alerts"

I see things don't change much in ten years, people still have too much time on their hands. I will reiterate what @tatranska said. Please feel free not clog up my email inbox with alerts that have no relationship to this thread!

epopnomis wrote: »
    If I was to get 3 mattresses from you. Can you give me an estimated cost to deliver to Cork area??? Thanks

Hi epopnomis

If it's somewhere that couriers would be going on a daily basis and not out in the sticks then I'd say around E10/E15 a mattress if you are getting 3 mattresses and not sticky on an exact delivery date. We split the cost between the buyer and ourselves.

Thanks

Bigmickey.ie

Hi epopnomis

If it's somewhere that couriers would be going on a daily basis and not out in the sticks then I'd say around E10/E15 a mattress if you are getting 3 mattresses and not sticky on an exact delivery date. We split the cost between the buyer and ourselves.

Thanks

Bigmickey.ie

Mick, have you stopped doing your own deliveries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

ThePicker wrote: »
    I see things don't change much in ten years, people still have too much time on their hands. I will reiterate what @tatranska said. Please feel free not clog up my email inbox with alerts that have no relationship to this thread!

Oddly, BOTH your posts were non-contributing. Is it me or is it a little shilly in here?

Oh, and welcome to boards ;)

Mick, have you stopped doing your own deliveries?

Hi

NO, we have more delivery vans and staff on the road now than ever before. With the auction, prices are generally low so we can't deliver all of these items with free delivery and also as the items will probably go all over the country so it makes sense to use couriers for what ever items in the auction that would be safe to send with couriers. We have done this in the past when we ran live auctions locally and it worked quite well. We still offer free delivery from our store in Longford.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Oddly, BOTH your posts were non-contributing. Is it me or is it a little shilly in here?

Oh, and welcome to boards ;)

If you are implying I have anything to do with any other person on this thread that says more about you than it does about me man. I'm not the one that started thread spoiling and kept it going after a mod and community manager put it to bed. If you don't like a thread just unfollow.

I had an account on here that predates yours, and the reason I left what was a good forum was that of people like you.

Now this is all I have to say on it, I won't be replying to off topic again, I won't be filling up peoples inboxes with B.S

BTW, i contributed with my wallet at the auction. And its welcome back to boards ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

OK, time to cool down. Only posts relating to the auction and bargains, anyone posting pickering about anything else is getting some cards or bans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

When is the next auction?

chases0102 wrote: »
    When is the next auction?

We home to do an auction every month from now on. This is just a trial run to see how it works and to see how we can improve the auction site.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

is there a way to see all i am bidding on and when i am outbid?

brightkane wrote: »
    is there a way to see all i am bidding on and when i am outbid?

Yes, it's on the page. If you scroll down a bit on the left lower down. It registers all the bids just like on e bay or similar sites.

We plan to make it much easier from next month and we are grateful for everybody's suggestions that we have received so far.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I've tried to bid there on a mattress and it won't let me. I bid earlier and no problems.

Trish56 wrote: »
    I've tried to bid there on a mattress and it won't let me. I bid earlier and no problems.

I just logged in and everything seems to be working fine. If we can assist , let us know. Don't panic as the auction has a few days left to run.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I registered, then foostered around a bit till I realised you have to click the Big Mickey logo to go to a useful page. Found auction and clicked on it. You have to register, it says, so I click that button and it greets me by name and asks me if I want to log out. So I find my way back to the main page, but I cannot see how I get to the auction. Or is all the other stuff - where it says 'shop the sale' the auction? It doesn't appear to be an auction.

Edit - I have found it, not the easiest site to navigate!

looksee wrote: »
    I registered, then foostered around a bit till I realised you have to click the Big Mickey logo to go to a useful page. Found auction and clicked on it. You have to register, it says, so I click that button and it greets me by name and asks me if I want to log out. So I find my way back to the main page, but I cannot see how I get to the auction. Or is all the other stuff - where it says 'shop the sale' the auction? It doesn't appear to be an auction.

click the auction link top right. the categories are along the left sidebar

• Advertisement

Edit - I have found it, not the easiest site to navigate!

HI looksee

We accept that the auction part of the site is a bit clunky at the minute but this is just proof of concept. The best has yet to come.

I figured it out in the end, it was just a bit confusing. I am not buying at the moment as I am packing up and throwing stuff out, but in a while I will need stuff, especially beds. Can you explain to me how the price on the item fits into it, is that the latest bid, or the starting bid or what?

I figured it out in the end, it was just a bit confusing. I am not buying at the moment as I am packing up and throwing stuff out, but in a while I will need stuff, especially beds. Can you explain to me how the price on the item fits into it, is that the latest bid, or the starting bid or what?

Hi.

It’s like any of the on line auctions. There is a start off bid, then hopefully for us , the item attracts some bids and 7 days later the auction closes and the highest bid wins.

We thought earlier we were on to a big winner earlier as someone bid 50000 Euro on the Phobos Bed but it was an error and the bid was removed. As we said this is a trial run so not going to get too excited about any aspect of it this time.

Ok. I have just figured out why it was so confusing. When I widened the page from about three quarters of the screen to full screen I got loads of information I had not seen before. Ok. All sorted. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

How and who is the auction regulated by?

How can one be sure that phantom bids aren’t being used to bump up the price?

Dia1988 wrote: »
    How and who is the auction regulated by?

How can one be sure that phantom bids aren’t being used to bump up the price?

As we said from the start this is a trial run. We will do our best to get a very fair and effective auction in place and iron out any issues that may arise. Where there is a reserve in place, it is quite low so I’d say to all let’s wait till the end of this one and see what everyone thinks and I’d appreciate any boards members put up here the items they bought, the price and how good of value it was. I think everyone will be happy with the price of their purchases. We have customers from boards coming to us for 10 years or so and I have yet to see anyone post anything negative about us in all that time.

hmmm so my two questions were avoided.

Also, it's not quite an auction rather a Tendering process.

In an auction like Ebay when you make a bid the price increases in multiples of 5s/10s or 50's above the 2nd highest bidder, and your highest bid is never revealed.
    But in your 'auction' your maximum bid is revealed which defeats the purpose of the whole auction.

Ye may as well use an Adverts.ie platform where people make offers!

Only one picture in a lot of the 'auctions' which isn't very enticing either.

Look sorry to be a bore but these points are important otherwise the public will see these flaws and when the novelty wears off they won't talk or use it again!

hmmm so my two questions were avoided.

Also, it's not quite an auction rather a Tendering process.

In an auction like Ebay when you make a bid the price increases in multiples of 5s/10s or 50's above the 2nd highest bidder, and your highest bid is never revealed.
    But in your 'auction' your maximum bid is revealed which defeats the purpose of the whole auction.

Ye may as well use an Adverts.ie platform where people make offers!

Only one picture in a lot of the 'auctions' which isn't very enticing either.

Look sorry to be a bore but these points are important otherwise the public will see these flaws and when the novelty wears off they won't talk or use it again!

Apologies, was driving there.

No. I agree you make valid points. We may well end up using software like e bay or similar and I don’t want to bore you or anyone else on here but this is a trial run. If you or anyone else has any doubts then give it a miss. Don’t bid. We had a bid of 50k on a bed earlier which we thought was an error but soon discovered that it was not as it was followed by a 16k bid on a Sofa. How do you prevent such things happening? All you can do is keep a watchful eye and ban these idiots that are out to spoil it for genuine users.

At this min we don’t know everything that is to be known about auctions but will trial this and improve it where necessary. Thanks for making your concerns known, I will talk to the guys and see how we can make it as transparent as possible as quickly as possible.

Well, I'm sorry you asked for opinions on the 'auction' and when I offer valid upfront suggestions I get told 'to give it a miss'

Perhaps I have hit upon an ulterior motive?

This auction used to dispose of end of line furniture for as much as possible?

I was only trying to help.

Consumers are naturally skeptical and when there's no transparency in 'bidding' process and the potential for BigMickey.ie to create a fake account and bid up 'auctions' to avoid stock being sold at a loss, the consumer won't be in a hurry back!

Good Luck with it anyway, you've made it perfectly clear you don't want my custom!

• Advertisement

Well, I'm sorry you asked for opinions on the 'auction' and when I offer valid upfront suggestions I get told 'to give it a miss'

Perhaps I have hit upon an ulterior motive?

This auction used to dispose of end of line furniture for as much as possible?

I was only trying to help.

Consumers are naturally skeptical and when there's no transparency in 'bidding' process and the potential for BigMickey.ie to create a fake account and bid up 'auctions' to avoid stock being sold at a loss, the consumer won't be in a hurry back!

Good Luck with it anyway, you've made it perfectly clear you don't want my custom!

I have tried to be as helpful and as honest with you and everyone else on here. You don’t get it , do you ? This is a trial run. We will let the readers of the thread be the judges. Good Night. Time for Bed.

Advertisement