Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online furniture auction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hundreds of e mails coming thick and fast + all you guys on here and many phone calls also even this late in the evening.

We will have a look at everything in the morning. If you bet the reserve (where applicable) and won the auction then you should have got an e mail with Pay Now at check out.

Just as there are loads of winners there will also be losers in this type of event. As we said from the start this was a TRAIL RUN . We have a a long association with you guys on boards. If there is something that you have an interest in and did not meet the reserve then feel free to contact us. You can pm us, post here, phone us on 043 3345488 / 086 8356888 and we will try our best to get you sorted but lets be realistic , we can't release something worth €500 for €10. We have never been greedy with any of you guys so talk to us if you want to, we won't bite.

Regards

Mick

Accepted that you cant give away something for nothing but to have an undisclosed reserve is the wrong way to go especially when you never know if it was met or unmet in the bid.
    I would have been willing to bid a reasonable reserve price rather than bid on the unknown.

A more realistic starting price is needed. If people feel they are wasting their time then it just wont work and for me at least I feel I wasted my time.

Edit: Just for balance. I've bought several mattresses and beds of Mick over the years, many of them just over the phone sight unseen and have been happy with the purchase and aftersales service. The auction just didnt work. I suspect that rather than being a trial run, it just wasnt thought through properly.
    If the web development company came up with the idea of how it should work.... a new development company is needed :)

I thought the reserve was the price that was displayed when the auction started

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Would make sense to have a reserve price, that way everyone knows what they have to bid. I thought every auction had a reserve price. I've wasted a huge amount of time on this site over the week bidding on different items and taking ages to get the bid accepted. Not sure I'll bother next month.
    Hundreds of e mails coming thick and fast + all you guys on here and many phone calls also even this late in the evening.

We will have a look at everything in the morning. If you bet the reserve (where applicable) and won the auction then you should have got an e mail with Pay Now at check out.

Just as there are loads of winners there will also be losers in this type of event. As we said from the start this was a TRAIL RUN . We have a a long association with you guys on boards. If there is something that you have an interest in and did not meet the reserve then feel free to contact us. You can pm us, post here, phone us on 043 3345488 / 086 8356888 and we will try our best to get you sorted but lets be realistic , we can't release something worth €500 for €10. We have never been greedy with any of you guys so talk to us if you want to, we won't bite.

Regards

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Regards

Mick

if you are the highest bidder but dont hit the reserve maybe an email when the auction ends telling you what the reserve was and giving an option to buy the item if you wish ?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

Accepted that you cant give away something for nothing but to have an undisclosed reserve is the wrong way to go especially when you never know if it was met or unmet in the bid.
    I would have been willing to bid a reasonable reserve price rather than bid on the unknown.

A more realistic starting price is needed. If people feel they are wasting their time then it just wont work and for me at least I feel I wasted my time.

Hi tatranske

You know us. We have dealt with you many times in the past? Did we ever waste your time in the past ? I am well aware that this auction was far from perfect but we had to start somewhere. I am not aware of any Auction that tells you what the reserve is. Further to this, most of the items that were in the auction were normal stock (some only arrived the week of the auction) and was never offered to anyone previously. Not of the items are junk like you will find in most auctions.

We are listening are taking everything on board that is been said here and will try our best for next months auction. Many of you guys are saying to me tonight that they had a good experience with the auction and many have been successful in their bidding and as I said , talk to us, if we can get any of you sorted that are been realistic, then we will.

Thanks

Hi tatranske

You know us. We have dealt with you many times in the past? Did we ever waste your time in the past ? I am well aware that this auction was far from perfect but we had to start somewhere. I am not aware of any Auction that tells you what the reserve is. Further to this, most of the items that were in the auction were normal stock (some only arrived the week of the auction) and was never offered to anyone previously. Not of the items are junk like you will find in most auctions.

We are listening are taking everything on board that is been said here and will try our best for next months auction. Many of you guys are saying to me tonight that they had a good experience with the auction and many have been successful in their bidding and as I said , talk to us, if we can get any of you sorted that are been realistic, then we will.

Thanks

I was in the process of editing when you wrote this but just to ad. Most auction sites will say to the bidder that the reserve wasnt met, ebay included.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106381341&postcount=209

Edit: Just for balance. I've bought several mattresses and beds of Mick over the years, many of them just over the phone sight unseen and have been happy with the purchase and aftersales service. The auction just didnt work. I suspect that rather than being a trial run, it just wasnt thought through properly.
    If the web development company came up with the idea of how it should work.... a new development company is needed :)

Hi Aileen Quiet Cloverleaf

Never one to hold back.

I will just say for now that the auction that is planned for next month is totally different. Most if not all items will have a buy it now price. It will be a stand alone site so will make it much more easier to navigate. I got quite a few people with queries but it turned out that they were not logged i properly.

As a gesture of good will, we are going to give 5 X 100 euro vouchers to be drawn out of a hat for next months auction. Everyone that contributed to this thread UP TO NOW will be included in the draw (even the ones that gave me a hard time. lol)

Aileen Quiet Cloverleaf you might pull the names for us out of the hat before the next auction just to show that it is genuine, not that any one on here would ever doubt that.

Hi tatranska

Never one to hold back.

I will just say for now that the auction that is planned for next month is totally different. Most if not all items will have a buy it now price. It will be a stand alone site so will make it much more easier to navigate. I got quite a few people with queries but it turned out that they were not logged i properly.

As a gesture of good will, we are going to give 5 X 100 euro vouchers to be drawn out of a hat for next months auction. Everyone that contributed to this thread UP TO NOW will be included in the draw (even the ones that gave me a hard time. lol)

tatranska you might pull the names for us out of the hat before the next auction just to show that it is genuine, not that any one on here would ever doubt that.

Its a long way from Dublin to Longford :D

Great idea the vouchers....just as long as I win one:pac:

Hope you dont feel I was giving you a hard time but as I see it. If no one is willing to say whats wrong then no lessons will be learned...and that's the point of the exercise...

Will you PM me with a price for a 1200 pocket and I'll see if the budget can stretch to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

sounds like a credit union draw :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Its a long way from Dublin to Longford :D

Hope you dont feel I was giving you a hard time but as I see it. If no one is willing to say whats wrong then no lessons will be learned...and that's the point of the exercise...

Will you PM me with a price for a 1200 pocket and I'll see if the budget can stretch to it.

We will call to you for the draw. Hardly expect you to drive to us. Will look for a 1200 pocket in the morning for you.

Delighted with your input but we did flag from the very begining that this was a trial and as such had not a clue how it was going to go but we have learned a lot on this little journey with ye all.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was sure today was Wednesday and I had another day :( Roll on next month.

On the plus side it's a day closer to the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

As long as lessons have been learned from the experience, it was worthwhile.

One thing you have certainly learned though, is that Boardsies can be trusted to give (brutally) honest feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I know this is the first month and it’s a trial run but a suggestion from me if you could get an email to remind you when the auction was ending and if your outbid that would be a huge help.

I received emails anytime I was outbid and also got some yesterday saying the auction would soon be ending.

Did you check junk mail?

I know this is the first month and it’s a trial run but a suggestion from me if you could get an email to remind you when the auction was ending and if your outbid that would be a huge help.

An outbid email can be subscribed to on the same page as your bid afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Caranica wrote: »
    I was sure today was Wednesday and I had another day :( Roll on next month.

On the plus side it's a day closer to the weekend!

You went the other way of me, I keep thinking today is Friday :D

I was very interested in this auction, but there was a good few things that stopped me bidding. I was most interested in a sleigh King size base/mattress bed:
    • Couldnt tell about the reserve in general during the auction, though maybe a suggestion is to find out what it is at the end, or if it is reached during auction, that it says that 'reserve is reached'
    • Only discovered the other bidders on items today (just should be easier to tell how many bids there have been at the top)
    • Needed more photos of the items where you can. Some were of real items, some werent, which did halt me bidding
    • Maybe age of some of the items could be added? I know a lot of these are in warehouse but if they are ex display i wouldnt mind knowing age of the item, especially when there are not actual photos available. I know some were marked as new though.
    • Now that it has ended, maybe put something in to say when your next one starts, in every item, so its not missed by potential buyers next time
    • Related products - these seemed kind of random XD
    • Was slow starting out though did improve throughout the week

Things I did like though:
    • Sorting options per category were good
    • Reminder info was nice, though maybe have options instead of 1 day before, as that was too long before for me. It also default went to spam
    • Total In Stock was a nice tough
    • Wishlist was good
    • List view was helpful to see stock and all the info there
    • Your constant replies in here did seem to be a big help to people :)

I'll keep eye out for next auction, hope it does run smoother for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

On the item I won it told me on the page that the reserve had been met, admittedly it was in fairly small writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

I was winner on 2 double bed mattresses Airsprung Pocket Sprung Double (4ft’6) Mattress, can you tell me what your best price on these would be. Moving house and was banking on getting these mattresses for the move, otherwise I'll be sleeping on the floor... :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I won two of these as well and the 7 curtain poles, I'm not stuck for them but if the reserve was anywhere near what I bid I'd take them.

(considering my three winning bids were around 70 euro in total, I'm not holding my breath on this!)

I thought the auction was fairly well run for a first time effort, I got an email every time I was outbid. My problem was I bid on so many things I couldn't keep track of what I was doing so I could have ended up with enough stuff to open a hotel.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Hi All

We are working through all the confirmed orders at the minute as these have to take priority. Everyone's queries and messages will then be dealt with. We will be in touch with everyone through the day hopefully.

Anything urgent 043 3345488 and 086 8356888

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Advertisement

Hi All

I think we got back to most of ye today. Many of you purchased extra items after the auction ended. If we missed anyone, please get in touch.

@ tatranska . I tried to message you just now but your in box is full. Give me a call 086 8356888

Thanks to everyone that took part in the auction. It was a success and many bargains were definitely bagged by many.

We will post in the next few days how we are going to run the next one and would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Who did you get back to Mick? Was it just people who posted in this thread?

I had the top bid on two items but didn't get a payment request so I presume reserve wasn't met although I've had no communication from you what so ever since the auction closed. I'm only guessing the reserve wasn't met, from reading this thread.

It might have been a success for you, but not for everyone!

Still, it is a good idea and hopefully it comes together a bit better next time as I wasted quite a bit of time on it this past week.

stdidit wrote: »
    Who did you get back to Mick? Was it just people who posted in this thread?

I had the top bid on two items but didn't get a payment request so I presume reserve wasn't met although I've had no communication from you what so ever since the auction closed. I'm only guessing the reserve wasn't met, from reading this thread.

It might have been a success for you, but not for everyone!

Still, it is a good idea and hopefully it comes together a bit better next time as I wasted quite a bit of time on it this past week.

Hi stdidit

We got back to anyone that left messages for us through Facebook, Done Deal, Boards, sms messages, Whatsapp, Viber and so on. Nobody was ignored. If we missed anyone please get in touch.

When I say it was a success, I mean loads of items were sold both during and after the auction. Buyers received items at exceptionally low prices. Bidding at auction is a bit of a skill I suppose. I go to auctions myself. The way I approach it is, I say to myself, what is the maximum that the item is worth to me, I bid that amount and if I win it then that's fine. If not look at something else.

As regards communications, you should have got a notification when you were outbid on each item. I did not hear any complaints about this section of the site as everyone seemed to get their outbid notices.. You could also look in the list of bidders and see where your bid was at on each item. Everyone could see that information once you were logged in.

If there are items that you are interested in and are still available then send me the SKU numbers and I will have a look at them in the morning. Many people contacted us today and still got what they wanted at a bargain price. If I can assist just ask.

Thanks

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 4 165203

Hi stdidit

We got back to anyone that left messages for us through Facebook, Done Deal, Boards, sms messages, Whatsapp, Viber and so on. Nobody was ignored. If we missed anyone please get in touch.

When I say it was a success, I mean loads of items were sold both during and after the auction. Buyers received items at exceptionally low prices. Bidding at auction is a bit of a skill I suppose. I go to auctions myself. The way I approach it is, I say to myself, what is the maximum that the item is worth to me, I bid that amount and if I win it then that's fine. If not look at something else.

As regards communications, you should have got a notification when you were outbid on each item. I did not hear any complaints about this section of the site as everyone seemed to get their outbid notices.. You could also look in the list of bidders and see where your bid was at on each item. Everyone could see that information once you were logged in.

If there are items that you are interested in and are still available then send me the SKU numbers and I will have a look at them in the morning. Many people contacted us today and still got what they wanted at a bargain price. If I can assist just ask.

Thanks

Mick

You didnt get back to the winning bidders on many of the items to tell them they had not met the reserve and that their bid was unsucessful. From looking at it most of the matresses didnt meet the reserve.
    So now you have all the email addresses of everyone who registered and created a lot of publicity for your business. A lot of people wasted their time on this.

165203 wrote: »
    You didnt get back to the winning bidders on many of the items to tell them they had not met the reserve and that their bid was unsucessful. From looking at it most of the matresses didnt meet the reserve.
    So now you have all the email addresses of everyone who registered and created a lot of publicity for your business. A lot of people wasted their time on this.

1st post ?????

Did you miss out on something ? If someone bid and did not meet the reserve then they were not a "winner". When reserves were met , the status on the listing changed to "Reserve met". Most of the mattresses were sold today. In fact, we had to put more on to satisfy demand. Good result for people that did not waste their time as genuine bargains had be these clever people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

When you bid it said whether the reserve was met or not, just underneath.
    So if you bid say €20, it would have said there is a reserve on this item" if you didn't cover the reserve price.
    If it said "reserve has been met", then you exceeded the reserve price and you would be top bidder at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Not rocket science anyone that’s ever used eBay or similar and purchased an item with a reserve will knows how this works.

Hi stdidit

Thanks

Mick

Well I was ignored Mick. As previously stated, I didn't receive any, post auction, communication from you, despite having the highest bid on two items. As I did have the highest bid on two items, the onus should not be on me to contact you - maybe something to consider for next time.
    Communication during the auction, and the highest bid info on the site, as you say, was all fine for me.

Well I was ignored Mick. As previously stated, I didn't receive any, post auction, communication from you, despite having the highest bid on two items. As I did have the highest bid on two items, the onus should not be on me to contact you - maybe something to consider for next time.
    Communication during the auction, and the highest bid info on the site, as you say, was all fine for me.

Check post number 232 there and build a bridge and get over yourself.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

okidoki987 wrote: »
    When you bid it said whether the reserve was met or not, just underneath.
    So if you bid say €20, it would have said there is a reserve on this item" if you didn't cover the reserve price.
    If it said "reserve has been met", then you exceeded the reserve price and you would be top bidder at that stage.

New to all this online bidding and that makes so much sense. Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement

Check post number 232 there and build a bridge and get over yourself.

I'm providing my feedback on my experience of the auction to Mick. If you've got a problem with that, I suggest you report it in the appropriate manner.

I'm providing my feedback on my experience of the auction to Mick. If you've got a problem with that, I suggest you report it in the appropriate manner.

stdidit, you're complaining about being ignored after the man answered you directly, in detail a few posts previously.

I had a problem with it and I brought it to your attention.

I was in the same boat myself having being the top bidder and not securing the items as the reserve wasn't met.

It was made crystal clear in the thread that I (as well as you and everyone else) had the option to contact the auctioneer after the auction to try and strike a deal.

stdidit, you're complaining about being ignored after the man answered you directly, in detail a few posts previously.

I was in the same boat myself having being the top bidder and not securing the items as the reserve wasn't met.

It was made crystal clear in the thread that I (as well as you and everyone else) had the option to contact the auctioneer after the auction to try and strike a deal.

I was ignored, in the sense that I received no post auction communication despite being the top bidder on a couple of items - this is the only issue I have been raising.

I have no issue with Mick's replies on here, it looks like he had been very active since the thread was started, which is great, and a credit to him, and is why I thought I could share my experience.

and so many of ye have and as far as I can remember we have struck a deal with nearly all of them that made contact after the auction. On this time out we don't mind even selling at cost price but we can't give stuff away either. People got serious deals both during and after the auction. You know the old saying " if your not fast your last" We have done our best to give bargains across the board but it's also impossible to please everyone I suppose.

The first of the deliveries (Dublin) started this morning. If any of you guys feel you didn't get a bargain then feel free to post here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Thanks Mick.. I feel I got a great price.. I'll be recommending you to friends and family..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ThePicker

The first of the deliveries (Dublin) started this morning. If any of you guys feel you didn't get a bargain then feel free to post here

Three mattresses and a bed delivered this morning to Dublin. Thanks big mickey. I would say the mattresses bought at auction were a great deal, and the bed was bought after the auction, after a bit of haggling, and I think I got it a great price.

Even with the few flaws, I thought this was a great idea and pretty exciting. I hope a few of the suggestions earlier in this thread can be taken on board, if so it can only get better.

ThePicker wrote: »
    Three mattresses and a bed delivered this morning to Dublin. Thanks big mickey. I would say the mattresses bought at auction were a great deal, and the bed was bought after the auction, after a bit of haggling, and I think I got it a great price.

Even with the few flaws, I thought this was a great idea and pretty exciting. I hope a few of the suggestions earlier in this thread can be taken on board, if so it can only get better.

Thanks The Picker

Glad to see you are happy with your items. Every comment on here will be looked at and implemented where possible before next month.

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Stiro05

Received my mattress today from mick. I got a great deal after chatting to him yesterday. I will be sure to keep an eye on the next auction. Thanks again Mick really pleased with the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Was highest bidder on TV unit but didn't meet reserve. Emailed BigMickey about it and he called me the next day and we made a deal on the phone.
    Great service and will definitely keep an eye on upcoming auctions.

Don't understand why people are complaining about wasting time on the auction etc. Even if I hadn't managed to get the unit the day after the auction the whole process was a bit of fun. The thing about auctions is sometimes you win sometimes you loose.

• Advertisement

I got delivery of a mattress I hadn't won!

Can't beat that for service.

I had been in touch with Mick though and we did a deal:)

Great Bargain.

Just a gentle reminder to the remaining few buyers that have not settled up. We have sent out reminders to you all.

If we don't hear from you by 5 pm Monday 12th March, we will offer the items to the next highest bidder in the listing.

Most buyers have been great and made contact and payment promptly. Many of you have received your purchases already and appear quite happy with them. Thanks to all concerned.

Regards

Bigmickey

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

I got delivery of the Mattress yesterday. When i contacted Mick last Friday, he offered me a deal two more i was interested in. You can't get any better than that.

Great service. I will definitely be buy again and would highly recommend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Thanks for all the help today mick. Delighted with all my orders and love the tiles that I got in the auction. Chuffed with the bargain!
    I will be telling everyone about you and handing out the business cards too!
    will definitely be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

hi mickey
    are ye doing this again next month?? might be in the market for a double mattress and was well pleased with the single one i bought off you recently
    thanks

Hi bungaro 79

Yes. We are currently loading all the products and have put in place many of the suggestions offered on here by various people however it will not start on the 1st of the month like it did last month but we will post here once we are ready.

Regards

Bigmickey.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

great stuff! just while you're on here, whats a good quality (but not the most expensive) pocket spring double mattress going for these days???

bungaro79 wrote: »
    great stuff! just while you're on here, whats a good quality (but not the most expensive) pocket spring double mattress going for these days???

I think they made E150/E160 in the last auction. They would normally be from arounrd E299 upwards

Thanks
    Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Hi bungaro 79

Yes. We are currently loading all the products and have put in place many of the suggestions offered on here by various people however it will not start on the 1st of the month like it did last month but we will post here once we are ready.

Regards

Bigmickey.ie

Any idea when the next auction is expected to start? Tnx.

Gun Monkey wrote: »
    Any idea when the next auction is expected to start? Tnx.

Should be able to post the details tomorrow.

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Looking forward to improvements BM :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement