Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online furniture auction

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

xpletiv wrote: »
    Looking forward to improvements BM :D

Hi there

So am I. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Bigmickey

Hi Everyone, this is a long one but stick with us as it is to update all of you who have been asking questions aboutb our Auction..
    Like we mentioned before, the last auction was a trial run and to gauge interest, we think a household online auction might be fun and offer some value for customers.
    So to start, what we will be doing is moving the auction to a stand-alone site, BigAuctions.ie and we are going to set it live on May 1st . As you can appreciate, building a whole new website takes time, but it’s for the greater good. By doing this, it will mean, people won’t have to log in to view items, it will be easier to navigate, and we will be able to include shipping costs etc… It will also avoid a lot of confusion, and if you have an account with BigMickey.ie, we hope to transfer it over to the new site automatically, so you will have the same login details.
    Fixes and new features:
    1. Outbid notifications: Some people said they didn’t get outbid notifications. We spoke to some winning bidders after the last auction and asked if they got the outbid notifications. All that we asked, said they did get them, but some said they went to spam, so we will look in to this for next time to double check that all notifications are going out properly from our end.

2. The Reserve: In an auction, the reserve is never revealed but we totally agree that people who did not meet the reserve should be notified, so in version 2 we will make sure an email goes out at the end of the auction to notify people if they have not met the reserve.

3. Buy it now prices:
    We will most likely put Buy It Now (BIN) prices on most of the listings for the new site. You can still bid and the BIN, although still discounted won't reflect the reserve, but the BIN prices will be there for those who don’t want to hang about and just want to buy there and then.

4. Bidding: Last time around when you put in your maximum bid your highest maximum bid was displayed. Going forward we will implement a proxy bidding system, or as its sometimes known, maximum secret bid, you can read more on this here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_bid. But it essentially lets you put in your maximum secret bid and if someone tries to outbid you, the system will bid on your behalf.

5. Site Speed: As I mentioned above we are moving to a new site, this should help with site speed and handling traffic better. We have also moved to a dedicated server and staggered end times, this will greatly improve performance.

6. 7-day Auctions: Because most items on the new site will have BIN Prices we will run all auction items for 7 days and they will automatically relist after 48 hrs if not sold, and 72 hrs if not paid for.

7. We will run a weekly flash deal on certain items, Stock permitting.

8. How To: Through this process, we have realised some people do not have auction experience. This is perfectly understandable. So we have put together a complete how-to guide for the new site.

9. Auction Rules: We have put together a complete set of auction rules and bidding policies.

10. Better Product Descriptions: We know ourselves that this is an area we could have done better last time. Going forward we will implement a proper product description format, size, product grades and delivery details etc…

11. Live Chat: We hope to have live chat installed on the site for customer support during business hours.

We hope all the above helps people get an idea of what we are trying to do and where we are going with this and we appreciate your continued business and support. We have thousands of items in stock that generally never go online, and we think this would be a way of selling that stock while also providing good value to consumers at the same time.

Any further suggestions ?

Regards

Big Mickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If the reserve is not met but a bid is made a message or email should say
    Thanks for your bid of x amount unfortunately the reserve hasn’t been met, feel free to bid again

Might be better than letting the auction end
    Just a thought
    Best of luck with it btw I’m on the prowl for a children’s wardrobe so I will keep an eye out

Agreed.
    Saying the reserve wasn't met at the end defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why not just say what the reserve price is on something?

If it's worth it to people they'll bid on it, if more than one person wants it it'll make more.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Re proxy bidding, will the second highest amount be displayed, and will the winner only pay the second highest amount plus a defined increment? If so what is the defined increment?

Hoboo wrote: »
    Re proxy bidding, will the second highest amount be displayed, and will the winner only pay the second highest amount plus a defined increment? If so what is the defined increment?

Why would an auction display the second highest bid?

The way it works in other auctions I use is say an item has a bid of 30 euro winning, rather than having to keep an eye on this all the time you then enter the maximum what you are prepared to pay.

Say 55 euro, you will then see that you are winning with a bid of 35 euro. If some one bids 40 you will automatically beat them and the bid showing will be your bid of 45. It'll go like that until you win or someone bids more than your max bid.

If your max bid is surpassed and you are prepared to pay more you can enter a new max bid.

Some auctions show the bidding history on items while they are still for sale and you can see from the timelines that the bids are automatic.

It's all fun and games until you wake up some morning and remember you are winning an auction for something you don't really need at a price beyond what it is worth to you because you drank too much and got stubborn.

The relief if you are outbid afterwards is priceless.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Hi All

Just had a look at what the lads have done with the new auction site. It's called www.bigauctions.ie by BigMIckey I think you will all be well impressed. Roll on May 1st

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wertyu12

Hi All

Just had a look at what the lads have done with the new auction site. It's called www.bigauctions.ie by BigMIckey I think you will all be well impressed. Roll on May 1st

Thanks

Bigmickey

No page on link here.

Hi tatranska

Never one to hold back.

I will just say for now that the auction that is planned for next month is totally different. Most if not all items will have a buy it now price. It will be a stand alone site so will make it much more easier to navigate. I got quite a few people with queries but it turned out that they were not logged i properly.

As a gesture of good will, we are going to give 5 X 100 euro vouchers to be drawn out of a hat for next months auction. Everyone that contributed to this thread UP TO NOW will be included in the draw (even the ones that gave me a hard time. lol)

tatranska you might pull the names for us out of the hat before the next auction just to show that it is genuine, not that any one on here would ever doubt that.

Any news on the winners of the vouchers Mick?

Thanks for reminding me. Totally forgot. Will get it sorted over the weekend.

Regards

Bigmickey

• Advertisement

Winners of the 100 euro vouchers for the next auction are :

1. RossieMan

2. robyntmorton

3. Bazzy

4. OmegaGene

5. autumnalcore

Looking forward to seeing you all bag some bargains

Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

500 quid in vouchers on the way for Boardsies, well done to the winners and fair play Big Mickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

http://bigauctions.ie

Can’t wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Cheers Mick, will be keeping an eye out hopefully I meet the reserve on something his time!

How do the vouchers work bigmickey ?

Congrats on winning one of the vouchers.

When you spend fifty grand you can then use your 100 euro voucher. It's in the small print. Only joking.:):):):)

Win something for 100 euro or more and use your voucher as payment.

Example : Win an item for 110 euro then you just pay 10 euro.

Don't worry, we will sort that out for the winners at the end of the auction

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Good luck tomorrow BM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 morrough

I can’t use the site as there is a picture of Electric equipment blocking me from viewing the page. When I try to open a chat it keeps closing down!

morrough wrote: »
    I can’t use the site as there is a picture of Electric equipment blocking me from viewing the page. When I try to open a chat it keeps closing down!

You're not missing much to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Click around the pop up

Can’t seem to do that on mobile site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Seems it's mostly the same as the last auction. Very little in the way of bargains to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

trixiebust wrote: »
    Seems it's mostly the same as the last auction. Very little in the way of bargains to be had.

In fairness its only online a few hours, I'm sure there'll be more options added in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Site is slow and unresponsive. Not compatible with mobile devices. Tried on 2 different devices with both internet explorer and google chrome on both. Talk about a let down....you need a new IT monkey B.M!

No sign of BM since yesterday. Perhaps a mattress fell on him.:)1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Gun Monkey wrote: »
    Site is slow and unresponsive. Not compatible with mobile devices. Tried on 2 different devices with both internet explorer and google chrome on both. Talk about a let down....you need a new IT monkey B.M!

I haven't tried bidding, but it seems to be working fine on my mobile using Boat Browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Signed up, gonna have a gander now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Site should autodirect to a login/sign up page when you try to bid if not logged in. It took me a few minutes to cop that I wasn't logged in as the pop up to tell you comes up the top of the page and I was scrolled further down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Any way to see delivery charge of item before bidding, can’t seem to see it.

Found it in more info.

Hi Everyone,

Mick has been in the U.K. since Monday but he will be back in the morning and will reply to all your queries then. If anybody needs to get in touch with him, you can call him on 086 8356888.

Thanks

Fiona

Looked at 14 sofas and despite all the feedback last time round and the promises of dimensions ..only 4 had dimensions.

Sorry Mick, but as the dragons say......"I'm out"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

For those disappointed with the BM auction, you could do worse than try out...
    https://auctionxchange.ie/

• Advertisement

Have to say I'm about disappointed with it this time. Not a whole lot of stock of anything.

I'm hoping it's because mick is away, he'll steady the ship when he returns.

Hi All

Thank you for all your comments. We have adjusted where possible to allow for these. We are very new to this on line auction world, this is only our second time to operate one but it is most encouraging with the level of interest that we are receiving for which we are most grateful.

We have just returned from the UK with with several more containers of items. These will be added to the site in the coming days (when unloaded and photographed). Currently we have around 200 items on the site. Many auction houses just clear out the rubbish that they want to get rid of. We are only putting up quality items as any of you that purchased from the last auction will have found out. Other auctions charge vat, commission, penalties for not picked up your items within the agreed time frame and so on. We do not charge any of these fees, the final bid price is all you pay. You can collect free of charge or have your items delivered at a subsidised rate.

We would like to thank all the customers that have hit the "Buy It Now" button in this auction so far and look forward to many more of the same and also those very cute bidders that will wait it out till the very last second to make a purchase. If there are any items that you would like to see in the auction and that are not currently listed then pop us a message and if available, we would be happy to add for you.

Regards

Bigmickey

Mick, for the voucher does the item have to be above 100? I'm struggling to find something I need.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Mick, for the voucher does the item have to be above 100? I'm struggling to find something I need.

Auction the voucher off on here.

RossieMan wrote: »

pm sent.

I’m sure something will turn up soon
    I’m hoping for a kids wardrobe but chances are slim I think

We had over 20 wardrobes ready for this auction but a landlord bought 15 full sets for a refugee place in Co Laois that is due to open this week. I had to pick up the matching bedsides and chests when I was in UK to make them in to sets for him. The remaining wardrobes will be added to the auction this coming week.

This is a problem that we have, you have loads of stuff earmarked for the auction and then someone comes to the shop and offers proper money for it there and then. You have to take it as it might not even attract a bid at auction. We have another guy currently talking to us and he is opening a bargain furniture shop in Dublin and is interested in many of the items that is in this auction. He alone may buy many of the auction items. There is some really good bargains in the auction but they are only bargains if you have use for them.

Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

We had over 20 wardrobes ready for this auction but a landlord bought 15 full sets for a refugee place in Co Laois that is due to open this week. I had to pick up the matching bedsides and chests when I was in UK to make them in to sets for him. The remaining wardrobes will be added to the auction this coming week.

This is a problem that we have, you have loads of stuff earmarked for the auction and then someone comes to the shop and offers proper money for it there and then. You have to take it as it might not even attract a bid at auction. We have another guy currently talking to us and he is opening a bargain furniture shop in Dublin and is interested in many of the items that is in this auction. He alone may buy many of the auction items. There is some really good bargains in the auction but they are only bargains if you have use for them.

Bigmickey

If that's the case, then you'd nearly want a separate 'traders' only section or something.

One individual is never going to be able to compete with someone interested in many multiples of your items.

Any news on the Dulux paint?

trixiebust wrote: »
    If that's the case, then you'd nearly want a separate 'traders' only section or something.

One individual is never going to be able to compete with someone interested in many multiples of your items.

Hi trixiebust

We have very large quantities of some of the items that we have in the auction. We also sell these on a daily basis from our shop but at higher prices than auction. The Buy It Now price is also less than what we would sell it for from the shop. The Reserve Price is less again for those that want to take the chance and wait it out till the end. Because we have large quantities of some items they may appear in a number of auctions until the stock is sold out completely. We will always be able to cater for multiple sales or single sales. We can always buy in more stock if needs be.

Thanks

Bigmickey

Any news on the Dulux paint?

After doing a deal the supplier put the price up so still teasing it out with them. They say they quoted for indoor paint instead of exterior paint. I will try and bring it to a head this week one way or the other.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Why am I only allowed bid in increments of 20? I’m 70 below a buy It now price, I don’t want to jump 20 but it says reserve has not been met

Why am I only allowed bid in increments of 20? I’m 70 below a buy It now price, I don’t want to jump 20 but it says reserve has not been met

Any of the auctions that I am aware of are all like that for the bigger value items otherwise you would be there forever with bidders going a euro at a time.

Is it a bed or something of a higher value that you are bidding for ?

Bigmickey

No, a chair. I took the hit and jumped 20 and apparently have now met the reserve but that’s frustrating tbh.

I have to say the text isn’t hugely clear. When logged in it says that I didn’t need to bid but it’s only that I scrolled i saw the reserve wasn’t met (this was after I bid).

All the text is pretty much the same, there’s not enough differentiation

No, a chair. I took the hit and jumped 20 and apparently have now met the reserve but that’s frustrating tbh.

I have to say the text isn’t hugely clear. When logged in it says that I didn’t need to bid but it’s only that I scrolled i saw the reserve wasn’t met (this was after I bid).

All the text is pretty much the same, there’s not enough differentiation

What’s rate 1 and rate 2 in shipping? I don’t know which one I need

What’s rate 1 and rate 2 in shipping? I don’t know which one I need

Hi mirroewall14

I am told you were talking to us on the phone this morning and your query was answered. I was away all day myself

Regards

Bigmickey

Hi mirroewall14

I am told you were talking to us on the phone this morning and your query was answered. I was away all day myself

Regards

Bigmickey

Yup all sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Top man, brilliant service really happy with our purchase

skydish79 wrote: »
    Top man, brilliant service really happy with our purchase

Have to agree. Got a bed from them in Longford then got a chair in the auction. Excellent service and highly recommend them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Where can I actually view the auction items after registration? :/

Advertisement