Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Craft beer culture - alcohol abuse in a fancy coat?

• 27-02-2018 11:16pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m beginning to notice a bit of a trend on social media. People, mostly men, posting their latest haul of craft beers from their local super market or off licence (even online) before drinking 7-8 of them, all while posting their reviews. I see some people drinking 4-5 nights a week at home alone.

They pat each other on the back when they agree on a nice beer and there is almost an element of collection about racking up all these different tastes. Lots of different containers and colours, it’s almist like Pokemon to some of them.

Sounds like alcoholism or alcohol abuse in a nice shiny jacket. Worse still, the behaviour is being reinforced by similar people online. They see nothing from with polishing off 25+ beers a week.

Drinking 15-20 beers per week at home is a pretty clear sign of a problem. If it was someone nicking a similar amount of cheap cans, buck fast of vodka they’d be cause a straight up alco but if you are drinking shiny craft beers, it’s all fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

"Mmm an oaky body with chocolate overtones and a citrus finish."

It's the same as wine or whiskey connoisseurs but a bit cheaper and they think they're not pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Makes an alternative to wine O'clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

With craft beer it tends to be quality over quantity, people just don't drink to get blind drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I like beer. I like trying different beers. I like talking about beer with people I know. One used to be a professional brewer and knows interesting stuff about the subject. There is a lot of pretentious ****e talked about it by some people though. Opinions based on what they read is smart more than what they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I prefer to sniff craft glue myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Me beer tasting:

Yup, this is beer

This one is beer too

Aye, beer as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

I like a good special offer myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

17 units per week is the limit for men.
    This applies whether you are drinking craft beers at home or going to the pub.
    Where you drink is your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Obviously you don't have much time to drink yourself if you follow them all and compile daily reports on their consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

o1s1n wrote: »

Old school Evo Stick in a bag man myself. Great for the complexion.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Mmm an oaky body with chocolate overtones and a citrus finish."

Sounds like a barrel-aged version of Beavertown's India stout, Holy Cowbell. Good job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

o1s1n wrote: »

Big bag of glue with the lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I’m beginning to notice a bit of a trend on social media. People, mostly men, posting their latest haul of craft beers from their local super market or off licence (even online) before drinking 7-8 of them, all while posting their reviews. I see some people drinking 4-5 nights a week at home alone.

They pat each other on the back when they agree on a nice beer and there is almost an element of collection about racking up all these different tastes. Lots of different containers and colours, it’s almist like Pokemon to some of them.

Sounds like alcoholism or alcohol abuse in a nice shiny jacket. Worse still, the behaviour is being reinforced by similar people online. They see nothing from with polishing off 25+ beers a week.

Drinking 15-20 beers per week at home is a pretty clear sign of a problem. If it was someone nicking a similar amount of cheap cans, buck fast of vodka they’d be cause a straight up alco but if you are drinking shiny craft beers, it’s all fine.

It might be, if I actually drank them in the way you assume I did, but you know what they say about assumption...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

You only noticed it now?

Well hello Mr.Current Affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I think it depends on the person, some people can drink 2 bottles of craft beer per night and leave it at that. The amount of Irish people I know that can do this are far and few between, where as Canada for example, there are 'beer tasting parties' I have been to where they do try 3 or 4 different bottles, then drink water before calling it a night, that was Toronto right enough. If you go to more rural parts they are guzzling cheap tins.

Income level has a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It might be, if I actually drank them in the way you assume I did, but you know what they say about assumption...

Makes an ass out of you and umption?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

From a family of alcos so I can see the point, probably not that far from it myself at times.

The difference between the alco and the person who enjoys craft brews, not much really. An alco won't throw it away if it is unpleasant, a person into their beers who tastes muck will take the hit, pour it down the sink and not buy it again.

not sure if that can be ascertained on social media.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ipso wrote: »
    With craft beer it tends to be quality over quantity, people just don't drink to get blind drunk.

Perhaps but I’m seeing a lot of behaviour that would indicate that it’s quantity AND quality. A half a dozen beers 3-4 times a week is a lot of gargle.

I really don’t understand how you can say I assume anything about you personally?

• Advertisement

Obviously you don't have much time to drink yourself if you follow them all and compile daily reports on their consumption.

Compile daily reports? Not sure I say that anywhere?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Perhaps but I’m seeing a lot of behaviour that would indicate that it’s quantity AND quality. A half a dozen beers 3-4 times a week is a lot of gargle.

You're talking €60-€100 a week there. People might manage that on a trip to Belgium or Bavaria or certain states in the USA, or perhaps at a beer festival, but you'll find very few people consuming that much on a regular basis. It's not sustainable financially or from a health point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You're talking €60-€100 a week there. People might manage that on a trip to Belgium or Bavaria or certain states in the USA, or perhaps at a beer festival, but you'll find very few people consuming that much on a regular basis. It's not sustainable financially or from a health point of view.

Hic , chanellege, chunnelge , ,. #*&* it .

Where's my snash box and bekab ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I really don’t understand how you can say I assume anything about you personally?

I'm a craft beer drinker. You made three in your opening post.

Tell me, where do you "see" people drinking in such a way that you can ascertain how much they are consumeing per week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tell me, where do you "see" people drinking in such a way that you can ascertain how much they are consumeing per week?

How are any of those a reference to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

elperello wrote: »
    17 units per week is the limit for men.

These alcohol limits have no scientific basis and have been plucked out of the air by medical authorities.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A lot of craft beer is higher in alcohol, heavy on the head and pretty heavy in the stomach. I doubt there are too many people sitting firing 6 of them into them in front of the TV on a Monday night.

How are any of those a reference to you?

I told you - I'm a craft beer drinker - and you're making assmuptions about how much craft beer drinkers drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

This year after Christmas I did dry January ... and dry February ....

Feb. almost over so ....

52e3f36aa861dda159615d602c2d2e6bdc4945435906f53c4d62d0c235893bf7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I told you - I'm a craft beer drinker - and you're making assmuptions about how much craft beer drinkers drink.

I think you’ve had enough for the night.

I'm not FutureGuy...

He said "some people", not all craft beer drinkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mickrock wrote: »
    These alcohol limits have no scientific basis and have been plucked out of the air by medical authorities.

Some say out of somewhere closer to home.

However the guiding principle whether you believe 17, 21 or 25 is that there is a limit to how much beer is good for you.

Find the limit enjoy the taste and slainte :)

I'm not FutureGuy...

He said "some people", not all craft beer drinkers.

He could be talking about the two he saw co,ing out of an off license when he did his "study" or he could be talking about 99.9% of anyone who's ever dared to drink something other that Bud, Heinicken or Guinness.

My point is: how does he know how much ANY of those people are drinking in a certain night?

Me? I'm a case study. I've spent over 100 euro on craft beer in one day. Now if the OP were to go on that statistic alone (which is exactly what he's done), I'd be a raging alcoholic. Because he just KNOWS I'm drinking them all in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Me? I'm a case study. I've spent over 100 euro on craft beer in one day. Now if the OP were to go on that statistic alone (which is exactly what he's done), I'd be a raging alcoholic. Because he just KNOWS I'm drinking them all in one go.

Despite the fact that you very much identify as "a craft beer drinker", I don't think the OP was talking about you specifically.

Personally I think it's been a great example of how to reinvent, re-brand and re-market an entire industry.

The punters are lining up to pay premium prices for it and sure why wouldn't they. It'd blow the head off you..

As to whether someone's drinking is an issue or not, that has nothing to do with what they chose to drink but more so on how that drinking affects their lives, personal and professional relationships, friendships, health etc.

He could be talking about the two he saw co,ing out of an off license when he did his "study" or he could be talking about 99.9% of anyone who's ever dared to drink something other that Bud, Heinicken or Guinness.

My point is: how does he know how much ANY of those people are drinking in a certain night?

You were the one projecting his OP onto yourself, not him, not me. That's all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

20 a day is a problem not 20 a week. Lightweights.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Swanner wrote: »
    The punters are lining up to pay premium prices for it and sure why wouldn't they. It'd blow the head off you..

The 13% imperial stout I had at the weekend would, which is why I only had one of them. However I could just as easily have had a 4% pale ale, which would be lower in strength than a pint of Bud or Heineken. For pretty much every craft beer drinker I've ever met the strength of the beer is a secondary concern to what it tastes like.

You were the one projecting his OP onto yourself, not him, not me. That's all really.

Fair point, but my intention was to use myself as an example. Perhaps:
    One might be, if one actually drank them in the way you assume one did, but you know what they say about assumption...

would be more accurate (it's too late to go back and edit the post)

One way or the other, the logic of assuming the rate at which craft beers are drunk is the same as at which they are bought, is very much flawed; and this is the entire basis for the OP's argument.

Snowed in.

It's time for a 65-bottle tasting session with snow themed Instagram updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Does this actually happen?

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    Does this actually happen?

It's more about the feeling than the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’ve had the craft beers a few times in the pub. Like them going down, specially that Galway Hooker stuff. Lovely beer. Coming out though is a different matter. Nearly burnt the hole off myself the shîte is so acidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Snowed in.

You'll have no problem chilling the beer.

I'm a human being. If I said that John the butcher was a bad man, does that also mean I am also a bad man because I am also a human being.

Not really sure what your issue is here? I have made zero comments towards you but you have taken this incredibly personally for whatever reason.

I think you have the wrong person here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I'm a human being. If I said that John the butcher was a bad man, does that also mean I am also a bad man because I am also a human being.

Not really sure what your issue is here? I have made zero comments towards you but you have taken this incredibly personally for whatever reason.

Answered:
    Fair point, but my intention was to use myself as an example. Perhaps:

would be more accurate (it's too late to go back and edit the post)

One way or the other, the logic of assuming the rate at which craft beers are drunk is the same as at which they are bought, is very much flawed; and this is the entire basis for the OP's argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Snowed in.

:D post pics!!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's more about the feeling than the facts.

When I hear that old song they used to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Zaph wrote: »
    For pretty much every craft beer drinker I've ever met the strength of the beer is a secondary concern to what it tastes like.

So have you surveyed every craft beer drinker you've ever met on this ? And how do you know if someone's a craft beer drinker or not ? Do you ask everyone you meet ? How do you know they're telling you the truth ? How do you know they don't drink 2 craft beers with you then go home drink a bottle of vodka and beat the ****e out of the wife..

You get the point... Your point is meaningless.

Unless they're all in your closest circle of friends then I doubt you know much if anything at all about their drinking habits..

Many people in Ireland abuse alcohol and unless you can demonstrate otherwise, i'm going to very safely assume that by proportion, many of these will be "craft beer drinkers".

• Advertisement
Advertisement