Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laurel, To Plant Or Not To Plant Now?

Options
  • 28-02-2018 12:27am
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,
    maybe someone can help me out here.
    I have 100 bare root 3 foot Laurel plants in plastic bags in shed.
    Bought them last Tuesday, exactly 1 week ago.
    Sprinkled 2 litres water on them 2 days ago, still in bags.
    No wind in shed and dark.
    Wanted to plant yesterday, but was advised to wait till cold snap is over as very cold Frost in ground may be bad for new plants.
    Problem is, will the plants still be ok?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be a bit concerned about them being in the dark for much longer, but if they are not showing any signs of new growth they will probably be ok for a few more days.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks looksee,

appreciate the advice.

There is some light during the day in shed but my understanding was that they would be better off in the dark. As regards signs of new growth, I really couldn't tell as this is my first time to plant, but from what I can see of the leaves, I don't think so.
    Would it be prudent to bury the roots somewhere temporarily for a few days until cold snap passes, or is that overkill? Finding somewhere outdoors sheltered is not easy either.

Thanks again/

The only problem with them being in the dark is if they start to put out spindly shoots, but they are probably well dormant so should be ok. If you can dig a shallow trench and put them all in, make sure the roots are well covered and maybe throw a bit of old carpet or similar over the root area (put them in pretty much on their sides), that would not be overkill.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

even in this cold would it be better to have them in a trench?

The worst of the cold will be gone by Saturday I think, so there is no panic either way. If you are not going to plant them soon though, heel them in (put them in a trench).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

When is the latest you can plant bare root hedging. I was hoping to plant a good bit of privet hedging this year but it will probably be Easter before I can get at it

Advertisement