Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads in / around Dublin 15

Options
  • 28-02-2018 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I suppose red alert has to be taken seriously but just how bad are the roads out there? As it stands I’m expected in work over in Parkwest. Even if I make it there getting home could be a huge challenge if we have more snow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Ive just turned back. I live on Clonsilla Road and drove as far as Tesco. Roads are like skating rink.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

On a bus on the Hartstown loop at the moment. Bus seems to be coping OK at the moment, but traction when pulling away from stops seems to be a bit of an issue occasionally. Not too many cars around, but the few I've seen were crawling along. Hard to see too much though, the bus windows are filthy!

Just coming onto the N3 at the Crowne Plaza now. Traffic is hardly moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Zaph wrote: »
    Just coming onto the N3 at the Crowne Plaza now. Traffic is hardly moving.

So Zach, I’m guessing the N3 is like an ice rink? Roads very bad around huntstown.

Just passed a gritter and the road seems to be OK, haven't seen any slides yet but as I mentioned it's hard see see out the windows. Just going over the M50 at the moment, that's a bit interesting in a double decker! Main issue on the N3 seems to be traffic going onto the M50 northbound, that's not moving at all and is impacting on other traffic. Oddly the M50 itself looked OK traffic wise so not sure what the problem is, maybe a breakdown. It looked a bit busier on the southbound side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

roads around littlepace / Ongar / Clonee are very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The problem is you need to take main roads as they will be gritted. But people who can't drive in snow will also be on the main roads and will get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Anyone know why Goodwin's was closed today, made the trip out there ,roads were fine,all closed up at 2pm, no sign/notice at gates,all locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Goodwin's was closed today, made the trip out there ,roads were fine,all closed up at 2pm, no sign/notice at gates,all locked up.

A significant numbers of business had to close early today or didn't open as a result of staff been unable to travel and customers cancelling simply orders.
    I'm off until Friday afternoon as a result of this.

It was a lot worse than I was expecting this evening. I think it was wise to just get everyone off the roads early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Did much snow fall across D15 overnight? Anyone been out yet?

Looks about the same as yesterday. Very light powdery stuff. I see a few cars on the main estate roads. If you are ok driving in snow you can probably get around. But I wouldn't go far, and I'd be back home by 1-2pm if I were you.

If you are not ok driving on snow I'd stay at home. Especially if don't have winter or all season tyres. Most cars in Ireland have summer tyres with a tread pattern that has no grip in snow.

A lot will know someone with a SUV that's 4x4 maybe ask them for a lift if they are going out anywhere.

That said a lot of them will have summer tyres also, and they are often not the world's greatest drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Looks like I'll be walking to the shops so... roads up around Clonee look iffy, been looking at card sliding around all morning & it only takes one slip into another car & bang... best get my walking gear on before it gets any worse out there.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

beauf wrote: »
    A lot will know someone with a SUV that's 4x4 maybe ask them for a lift if they are going out anywhere.

That said a lot of them will have summer tyres also, and they are often not the world's greatest drivers.

Our roads are full of FWD SUV's and I doubt many of the owners know if they have 4 wheel drive or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Does anybody know if the Applegreen on the Clonsilla Road is open please?, I’m going to venture out (on foot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Cost Cutters on Clonsilla Road (Blanchardstown End), is open and very busy

Thank you. I made it to Applegreen. Business as usual (minus the bread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Thank you. I made it to Applegreen. Business as usual (minus the bread!)

Spar at Molloys had plenty of bread earlier - no milk though...
    They had a sign up saying they would be closing at 3 or so.

Local shops are packed with people. I heard Tesco is quiet though. Main roads in estates all seem clear enough. It's only the roads off those roads which are slippery. Though not a problem if you know what you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Local shops are packed with people. I heard Tesco is quiet though. Main roads in estates all seem clear enough. It's only the roads off those roads which are slippery. Though not a problem if you know what you are doing.

Tesco's in Roselawn was very busy at 11:30am this morning. Car Park full and all Check-Outs with sizeable ques

I heard there was a queue for the tills in the Eurospar in Hartstown earlier that stretched down the full length of the shop and halfway across the back wall. I think some people are expecting the end of the world rather than a few days of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Zaph wrote: »
    I heard there was a queue for the tills in the Eurospar in Hartstown earlier that stretched down the full length of the shop and halfway across the back wall. I think some people are expecting the end of the world rather than a few days of snow.

The queue in Spar Mulhuddart was out the door. 20 mins to get to a till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Patww79 wrote: »

That explains why there was loads of bread but no milk so! Ended up in the garage in Clonee village getting some.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Patww79 wrote: »

Our milkman delivered to us this afternoon - as per normal schedule - fair play to him given the conditions.

Codpeas wrote: »
    Our milkman delivered to us this afternoon - as per normal schedule - fair play to him given the conditions.

Ours delivered last night, amazed when I saw it on the doorstep at 6.30am!

Not seeing the heavy snow predicted...windy though...

• Advertisement

Not seeing the heavy snow predicted...windy though...

Apparently late evening into tomorrow is when we’ll see it. TV3 said a snow accumulation of 50cm in parts of Dublin (don’t know if that includes what’s fallen already though)

Advertisement