Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle in snow tips

Options
  • 28-02-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Can't drive today so the Hybrid bike is out.... Never cycled in snow before.

Snow cycling super tips needed. What should I do and not do? If I can minimise the embarrassment of falling on my backside in traffic that would be nice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you don't have a bike or tyres suitable for cycling in the snow, best tip is... don't.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'm sure Alek would be posting here but he's probably halfway up Kippure right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

What should I do and not do?

Don't cycle !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't cycle.

Unless you have chunky tyres with good treads or better yet spikes, it's not worth it. Vehicles, even allowing for them giving you loads of space today will be twitchier than normal as would you.

With that said, id say 75% of my route would have been a dawdle today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm sure Alek would be posting here but he's probably halfway up Kippure right now.

I'm waiting for more snow.
    Can't drive today so the Hybrid bike is out.... Never cycled in snow before.

Let some air off the tyres. Make them squishy, but not flat.

Cycle slow, accelerate and brake carefully.

Don't combine turning with braking.

Be prepared to put the foot down to prop yourself.

Choose the right path: avoid ice. Slush and fresh snow is fine as long as there is no ice underneath, but its always a tad to late to tell this :)

It may be safer to go on the road if cars have melted the snow already and there is no hard / freezing, compacted slush on the tarmac, sidewalk will almost always be worse choice. But not if you fall... Choices, choices.

:D

Unless you have chunky tyres with good treads or better yet spikes, it's not worth it.

I've seen many people today on their road and hybrid bikes, managing better than me on my Snow Studs. Their tyres managed to cut through the snow nicely while mine were sliding sideways sometimes.

Then I've let a good bit of air out and it was fine again.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »

I've seen many people today on their road and hybrid bikes, managing better than me on my Snow Studs. Their tyres managed to cut through the snow nicely while mine were sliding sideways sometimes.

Then I've let a good bit of air out and it was fine again.

I don't think the snow will be the problem later though. It'll be the compacted snow and ice. Then you're spiked tyres win the day.

Mine are at home looking sadly out the window as I had a crash last week and I've been warned not to cycle by loved ones

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Good to see you this morning Alex!! My cyclocross tyres (rocket rons) held up pretty well and was surprised with grip, had a couple of hairy moments where snow was compacted. Contemplating putting cable ties around tyres for trip home if it gets bad, what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Take the mountain bike!

Good to see you this morning Alex!! My cyclocross tyres (rocket rons) held up pretty well and was surprised with grip, had a couple of hairy moments where snow was compacted. Contemplating putting cable ties around tyres for trip home if it gets bad, what you think?

I was expecting you, who if not one of the threepeakers would be commuting today :D

Cable ties - why not? Tell me how they work, never tried!

Certainly go down to CX / mud pressures, 30-odd psi. This helped me today a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Probably better with flat pedals or dual sided pedals. As Alek said, you have to be prepared to put your foot out when the tyres leave you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Don't be this guy:pac:

Don't be this guy

Why? (considering it is not a motorway)

detones wrote: »
    Contemplating putting cable ties around tyres for trip home if it gets bad, what you think?

Not if you have rim brakes

Surely he means the driver, operating a camera, posting to social media while while driving in dangerous conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

God help anyone going east later.
    That wind has really picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've been on motorways mostly today but I've only seen one cyclist so far. I thought he was brave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Is it not? The comment accompanying the video suggests that it is, though I don't recognise it to say with certainty

cython wrote: »
    Is it not? The comment accompanying the video suggests that it is, though I don't recognise it to say with certainty

It's been identified as the Navan Road.

Gardai should be lambasting the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Forget the naysayers. Cycling in snow is awesome. I was out for 2 hours on the cx bike. Mixture of roads, path, parktrails.
    I used 33mm CX tyres at 45psi.
    Plenty of grip.
    It is most enjoyable cycling in fresh snow. The compacted stuff is likely to freeze overnight and thrn to ice. Today is the day to cycle as tomorrow is suuposed to be dire.

My advice is to think carefully about a route the gets you where you are going but can use as much offroad as possible.
    In Dublin that would be canals, Phoenix Park etc.
    I have cantis and the brake blocks do get covered in snow. Going downhill in snow with unusable brakes is a novel way to cure constipation!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Only downside is that cleats and spds got covered in snow and ice. Flat ledals possibly better in snow.
    Oh, i also brought a flask of tea to stay warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

There just ain't no way lads....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Cycled in this morning on the mtb, it was awesome! Heavy going through the fresh powder and a few slides here and there, but improving the skillz all the time!

I was out with the dog earlier , that easterly wind blowing snow/hail in your face is no joke. Couldn't look straight ahead for more than a second or two at a time without getting snow in my eyes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you do go out today on the bike, don't forget your hi-vis - the blackest piece of clothing you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Screenshot_20180228_154648.jpg

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not if you have rim brakes
    He doesn't! ;)

neris wrote: »
    Screenshot_20180228_154648.jpg
    Yes, sock height is all wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

guanciale wrote: »
    Only downside is that cleats and spds got covered in snow and ice. Flat ledals possibly better in snow.
    Oh, i also brought a flask of tea to stay warm.

+1 glad my pedals are dual sided, cleats were just jammed with ice. Roads outside of estates were grand. Not much traffic either. Stayed to the road most of the time, no real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

He doesn't! ;)

At least he's got a long sleeve top on. Unlike the lad I saw yesterday going into malahide in a pair of football shorts & a wifebeater shirt in a howling gale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cable ties - why not? Tell me how they work, never tried!
    some just put them on without caring where the join is. But I think below is the real idea, to form spikes with the joining bit.

Zip-tie-bicycle-tires.jpg

My tips would be
    -wear several layers of clothes, not just for warmth but protection if/when you fall. I have MTB leg & arm protection, before I got it my 3 sweatshirts & jacket cushioned me fairly well.

-Expect to fall, look up safe ways to fall, even consider practicing in a safe place.

-expect other cyclists or pedestrians to fall.

-Get off and walk if you feel anyway unsafe.

-get off the road if cars are going up steep hills. Cycling on fresh snow on the grass can be a good option, but stuff can be hidden under the snow.

Advertisement