Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Chargers plugged in permanently

• 28-02-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what's peoples opinions on this, have an aeotec sensor that needs usb power or battery, the battery version isn't great so looking to get it wired.

Just wondering what's the safest?

They're always giving out about leaving chargers plugged in, fire hazard etc.

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering what's peoples opinions on this, have an aeotec sensor that needs usb power or battery, the battery version isn't great so looking to get it wired.

Just wondering what's the safest?

They're always giving out about leaving chargers plugged in, fire hazard etc.

Thanks,
    Gary

Buy a good quality one and a good quality cable. If either get damaged replace. People using frayed cables and then trying to find an excuse for it is the biggest issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Buy a branded one from a trusted name or one that came new with a phone etc.
    Do not buy a imitation apple one etc. If it’s not in a reputable shop chances are it’s fake regardless of the packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Buy a branded one from a trusted name or one that came new with a phone etc.
    Do not buy a imitation apple one etc. If it’s not in a reputable shop chances are it’s fake regardless of the packaging.

Cool, so use my apple one and I should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Cool, so use my apple one and I should be grand.

Yea if it’s genuine a normal phone one will do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A good affordable third party USB charger is the one Ikea sell.

This is a great electrical engineer on youtube who takes apart chargers, etc. to see which ones are dangerous and which are safe and he found the Ikea one to be very well built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRe9w5PKmsE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

One more vote for ikea, good amp and very good quality,
    bk wrote: »
    A good affordable third party USB charger is the one Ikea sell.

This is a great electrical engineer on youtube who takes apart chargers, etc. to see which ones are dangerous and which are safe and he found the Ikea one to be very well built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRe9w5PKmsE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

My apple ipad one died last month - so they are not infallible -

but crucial thing was it went out with no spectacular effects, no bang or smoke - just safely stopped working - so that was good.

Contacted Apple and they sent out a new one with an post paid envelope to post back the dead one.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Another option is to use a poe switch and a splitter to power your devices. Even if the device isn't wired into network you can use the switch for power distribution all from a central location. Disadvantage is that you need a splitter for each device and to run network cable from the switch.

I'm planning to use a sonoff with temp sensor to power my switch cabinet. The temp sensor will allow me to cut power if the temperature on the power supply gets too high.

Advertisement