Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job opportunities for an international student

• 28-02-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, hope someone can share some insights, or maybe navigate me to somewhere that advises on this kind of things. 
    I am a 5 years experiences auditor working in Deloitte VIETNAM and am looking for opportunities to get a job in related field in Ireland. As from consulting with some Irish friends, It's said that I stand no chance of getting a job with no Irish experience, so I firgured I need to get a master first. 
    About the master, I've had my eyes on these 2 accounting courses initially: 
    - Msc Accounting at Smurfit. 
    - Msc Accounting code DT329 at DIT
    It's a pity that I obviously couldnt meet the entrance requirement of having a full exemption of CAP 1 consider that I'm still living in Vietnam now (  I have 6 first papers expemtion from ACCA for my Vietnamese Accounting Balchelor degree and my experiences though) and also from what've researched, there is no way to get that for someone that doesnt live in Ireland. Is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trangtron

Continued:
    That led me down to the fact that if I want to work as an accountant there, I have to start from the beggining.
    So I've spotted these 2 courses :

1. Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting from Trinity
    2. Accounting PG Dip code DT310 at DIT 

So my question is: Are there any job opportunities for an internaltional student with one of these above certification?  If yes, Is it possible that I could get a training contract that could sponsor my CAP 2 studying?

Sorry if there are stupid questions! [font=Arial, sans-serif]There is a lot of information out there and some of it is clear but some of it isn't! Thanks :D[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could you not apply for a temporary internal transfer in Deloitte?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trangtron

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Could you not apply for a temporary internal transfer in Deloitte?
    Probably not. Deloitte Vietnam only have one or two mobility programs that allows you to move around South East Asia only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

trangtron wrote: »
    Probably not. Deloitte Vietnam only have one or two mobility programs that allows you to move around South East Asia only.

That's a shame. Would it be worthwhile speaking to management and asking if they could make an exception and try to arrange a 12 month secondment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

trangtron wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope someone can share some insights, or maybe navigate me to somewhere that advises on this kind of things. 
    I am a 5 years experiences auditor working in Deloitte VIETNAM and am looking for opportunities to get a job in related field in Ireland. As from consulting with some Irish friends, It's said that I stand no chance of getting a job with no Irish experience, so I firgured I need to get a master first. 
    About the master, I've had my eyes on these 2 accounting courses initially: 
    - Msc Accounting at Smurfit. 
    - Msc Accounting code DT329 at DIT
    It's a pity that I obviously couldnt meet the entrance requirement of having a full exemption of CAP 1 consider that I'm still living in Vietnam now (  I have 6 first papers expemtion from ACCA for my Vietnamese Accounting Balchelor degree and my experiences though) and also from what've researched, there is no way to get that for someone that doesnt live in Ireland. Is that true?

Few challenges;
    1. 5 years experience, but are you qualified (CPA, ACCA, Irish equivalent ACA). Would it make more sense to complete ACCA before venturing abroad.
    2. Visa, company will need to sponsor you. 3 years experience for ACCA and 3.5 for ACA. Depends on your prior experience, this may be reduced.
    3. College costs, wildly expensive for foreign students, especially smurfit. Cost of living is huge - rent is sky high in dublin at the moment.
    4. Salary, trainee starting salaries (24k euro) are very poor compared to cost of living.

Overall you're better off qualifying at home and trying to move internally through deloitte rather than through the trainee route, which you'd be vastly overqualified for anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement