Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'name that plant' thread.

Options
  • 28-02-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can anyone name the exact type of Shamrock in the attached image?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

I can confirm it's a Trifolium repens (white clover).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you sure? It does not appear to have the leaf markings of clover, I would have guessed some kind of medic, but without flowers I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭macraignil

looksee wrote: »
    Are you sure? It does not appear to have the leaf markings of clover, I would have guessed some kind of medic, but without flowers I'm not sure.

I remember an experiment when I was at UCC Plant Science Department connected with the leaf markings on clover. I'm a bit vague now on the exact results of the experiment but I remember there was clover with leaf markings and clover without leaf markings and the lecturer (later Professor) counted both types as clover, so I think you can have clover without leaf markings. It looks like clover to me.

Ok, I am not sure enough to argue, it does seem to have the more matte, slightly serrated edges of medic though, but they are so similar - even some of the medics have patterned leaves - that I would not like to say.

Ok, I am not sure enough to argue, it does seem to have the more matte, slightly serrated edges of medic though, but they are so similar - even some of the medics have patterned leaves - that I would not like to say.

Definitely not sure myself either. Medic and clover seem to be part of the same family anyway so not sure I could be sure which one was which.

• Advertisement

I think I'll settle with Trifolium repens.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Looking at the leaf size given it's in a 9cm pot it appears to be Trifolium dubium, which is often the plant retailed as Shamrock.

lk67 wrote: »
    Looking at the leaf size given it's in a 9cm pot it appears to be Trifolium dubium, which is often the plant retailed as Shamrock.

Hmm. I think I'll still side with Trifolium repens.

Hi. Does anyone know the name of this plant? Thanks.

445389.jpg

I think it's a chrysanthemum.

• Advertisement

macraignil wrote: »
    I think it's a chrysanthemum.

Cheers macraignil.

lk67 wrote: »

Original post on shamrock: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106286252&postcount=1

Could it be this?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=oxalis+regnellii&atb=v55-5_a&iax=images&ia=images

No, Oxalis is quite different to either clover or medic (which I still favour as an identification) It has a completely different plant structure and the leaves are not all that similar (apart from being trefoil) either.

No, Oxalis is quite different to either clover or medic (which I still favour as an identification) It has a completely different plant structure and the leaves are not all that similar (apart from being trefoil) either.

I guess it looks more like a Medicago lupulina than Trifolium dubium which lk67 mentioned earlier. I'm really unsure now as to the exact name.

Worztron wrote: »
    I guess it looks more like a Medicago lupulina than Trifolium dubium which lk67 mentioned earlier. I'm really unsure now as to the exact name.

Both plants look very similar in pictures on the internet but I'd be more inclined to guess it's Trifolium dubium as in some of the pictures the Medicago lupina seem to have slightly more elongated leaves.

macraignil wrote: »
    Both plants look very similar in pictures on the internet but I'd be more inclined to guess it's Trifolium dubium as in some of the pictures the Medicago lupina seem to have slightly more elongated leaves.

Hi macraignil. I will just call it a Shamrock for now until I get 100% confirmation in time.

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi macraignil. I will just call it a Shamrock for now until I get 100% confirmation in time.

Sounds reasonable to me.

The shamrock has grown a lot since I last posted. Here's 3 photos I took today. I think 'Trifolium repens' is ruled out. 'Medicago lupulina' & 'Trifolium dubium' look the most likely (yellow flowers) as others have suggested here.

Advertisement