Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics Ireland Race Series 2018

• 26-02-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭

New Irish runner race series announced with a 5k, 5&10 milers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Decent value for 3 races too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

aquinn wrote: »

What they tell you

Included
    - Chip Time
    - Medal
    - T Shirt
    - Goody bag

What they don't tell you
    - Course
    - Prize structure
    - Categories

Would be nice if AAI got behind promoting standards (and supported the likes of the KIA series) and stopped trying to cash in and fill the coffers. Not to mention directly damaging Dublin Championship race and DCM which actually promotes and supports athletic development.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Like the look of the 5km, 5 miler and 10 miler. Will probably enter them, as good price for all 3

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

What they tell you

Included
    - Chip Time
    - Medal
    - T Shirt
    - Goody bag

What they don't tell you
    - Course
    - Prize structure
    - Categories

Would be nice if AAI got behind promoting standards (and supported the likes of the KIA series) and stopped trying to cash in and fill the coffers. Not to mention directly damaging Dublin Championship race and DCM which actually promotes and supports athletic development.

Whole purpose of these races is to raise funds for AI to support and develop athletics in Ireland

What they tell you

Included
    - Chip Time
    - Medal
    - T Shirt
    - Goody bag

What they don't tell you
    - Course
    - Prize structure
    - Categories

The 5 mile & 10 mile are both in Phoenix park, so most people will have an idea of the courses anyways.

I won't be in contention to worry bout the prize structure

colin32 wrote: »
    The 5 mile & 10 mile are both in Phoenix park, so most people will have an idea of the courses anyways.

I won't be in contention to worry bout the prize structure

My reference was more to do with the how they are being marketed and the continued failure by the governing body to live up to the first part of there mission statement just because there isn't a quick bit of money to be made during the running boom.

youngrun wrote: »
    Whole purpose of these races is to raise funds for AI to support and develop athletics in Ireland

I made the point on twitter. If this was the case why not ringfence x% of entry fee towards direct RDO projects etc?

Filling the coffers to help the sport looks great at face value but when the money is churned and whittled down through every layer of bureaucracy how much actually goes back into the sport

How does Myrunresults fee compare to other companies (is it competitive)?

Will the MC wave there fee (presuming FG or FK will get this gig) given ties to AAI ?

Was the Medal company and T shirt companies put out to tender (or indeed did CX Sports get offered to encourage future Sponsorship) ?

If Frank Duffy loses significant amout of entries and it eats into DCM's overheads will they offset the money that goes back into the clubs and Athletics Ireland athletes via Irish Time Bonuses, Club Stewarding Fees, Mission Marathon projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

What they tell you

Included
    - Chip Time
    - Medal
    - T Shirt
    - Goody bag

What they don't tell you
    - Course
    - Prize structure
    - Categories

I dont think thats a big deal, its not like the race is on at the weekend, they're just garnering interest and spreading the word now so they can promote the race and allow those who are not in the mix to enter if they like.

Theres plenty of time for them to get the other info out.
    I made the point on twitter. If this was the case why not ringfence x% of entry fee towards direct RDO projects etc?

Filling the coffers to help the sport looks great at face value but when the money is churned and whittled down through every layer of bureaucracy how much actually goes back into the sport

How does Myrunresults fee compare to other companies (is it competitive)?

Will the MC wave there fee (presuming FG or FK will get this gig) given ties to AAI ?

Was the Medal company and T shirt companies put out to tender (or indeed did CX Sports get offered to encourage future Sponsorship) ?

If Frank Duffy loses significant amout of entries and it eats into DCM's overheads will they offset the money that goes back into the clubs and Athletics Ireland athletes via Irish Time Bonuses, Club Stewarding Fees, Mission Marathon projects

I'm surprised about your attitude to these races really. You seem like such an advocate for the sport and its body.

Its not like its 50 quid a race or part of a corporation...

Surely you can see theres not that much money in these three races to be lining anyones pockets really. By the time the overheads are paid for theres not much to be bragging about is there?

If you know anyone working for AAI, you'll also know theres not much money in it.

As for putting medals and t-shirts out to tender, i think you're being a bit dramatic or joking. Its not like they're printing for the New York marathon. Its just a few quid.

I'd love to know if theres competition there between them.
    The SSE race series never took up the 5 miler as part of their series from 2017

Now we have the 10 miler in the park so people have the option of not having to travel for it.

Its good news for those who didnt want to travel for the 10k and are fit enough for the 10 miler and those who don't want to travel for the Frank Duffy.

Overall its fantastic to see such variety and choice for runners who love the park and those who want to go northside or southside depending on their locations.

Its all about getting out there and getting novice runners involved and no better way than giving them choice and a shiny medal :D

• Advertisement

joey1111 wrote: »
    I'm surprised about your attitude to these races really. You seem like such an advocate for the sport and its body.

Don't get me wrong am a huge supporter of club running and grass roots athletics but the 60,000 membership base is not being funneled into the sport. Given that there has been a trend of slowed growth of memberships in the past couple of years this becomes increasingly important.

The difference in spending on coaching and development over the past 5 years is about 20,000 despite the fact that in that time there has been a membership increase of about 11,000 and reacreational event income has almost doubled from 426,000 to 900,000. 6 new employees have been recruited, two directly related to Recreational Running (recreational assitant and participation officer) despite there being a huge demand for more RDO's and Full time coaches.

11% of that 60,000 membership number are aged between 20-34 yet despite that there is no one in place at college level to try and shore up drop out rates.

Despite selling off National Championships (10k, and National Half), the increased recreational income and the increased membership this is not trickling down to development as much as it should. There is the caveat that they are less reliant on the Sports Ireland grants but development expenditure isn't growing in line with increased revenue from this extra revenue.

AAI permits should come with a stipulation of x% directly funding regional development. While that membership number is growing the lifeblood of the sport (the couple of hundred volunteer coaches) are getting stretched further and further and are an aging demographic with very few stepping up to take some of that workload.

Don't get me wrong am a huge supporter of club running and grass roots athletics but the 60,000 membership base is not being funneled into the sport. Given that there has been a trend of slowed growth of memberships in the past couple of years this becomes increasingly important.

The difference in spending on coaching and development over the past 5 years is about 20,000 despite the fact that in that time there has been a membership increase of about 11,000 and reacreational event income has almost doubled from 426,000 to 900,000. 6 new employees have been recruited, two directly related to Recreational Running (recreational assitant and participation officer) despite there being a huge demand for more RDO's and Full time coaches.

11% of that 60,000 membership number are aged between 20-34 yet despite that there is no one in place at college level to try and shore up drop out rates.

Despite selling off National Championships (10k, and National Half), the increased recreational income and the increased membership this is not trickling down to development as much as it should. There is the caveat that they are less reliant on the Sports Ireland grants but development expenditure isn't growing in line with increased revenue from this extra revenue.

AAI permits should come with a stipulation of x% directly funding regional development. While that membership number is growing the lifeblood of the sport (the couple of hundred volunteer coaches) are getting stretched further and further and are an aging demographic with very few stepping up to take some of that workload.

Have you written to them at all about this, an open letter on social media perhaps?
    Something that everyone can have a read of and see the reply.

Some people are going a bit over board here. It's 3 races at an affordable cost, in good location for everyone.

If you want to take part, then enter, if you don't, then fair enough.

You'll probably find a lot of people will enter both this and the race series

Bit of competition never hurt anyone, and hopefully it might make the dublin race series take note for future years

joey1111 wrote: »
    Have you written to them at all about this, an open letter on social media perhaps?
    Something that everyone can have a read of and see the reply.

Regarding this event? Have had no response via social media. regarding this matter since the start of 2018? Have had no response via social media. regarding the disparity between recreational running grass roots athletics? have emailed numerous times over the past 8 years or so (even some which were idea's to bridge the gap) but no response.

I get what you are saying though that talk is cheap which is why I am tend to try and address grass roots athletics at a individual level through increasing participation within my own groups in track, road and cross country championships as much as possible.
    colin32 wrote: »
    Some people are going a bit over board here. It's 3 races at an affordable cost, in good location for everyone.

If you want to take part, then enter, if you don't, then fair enough.

You'll probably find a lot of people will enter both this and the race series

Bit of competition never hurt anyone, and hopefully it might make the dublin race series take note for future years

I am sure the race series are well aware as they work closely with the AAI normally and host the AAI National Marathon Championships when numbers and overhead costs were to expensive to host standalone races back in the day.

And competition saturation actually is hurting the sport in general because ironically it is making people shy away from competition.

Regarding this event? Have had no response via social media. regarding this matter since the start of 2018? Have had no response via social media. regarding the disparity between recreational running grass roots athletics? have emailed numerous times over the past 8 years or so (even some which were idea's to bridge the gap) but no response.

I get what you are saying though that talk is cheap which is why I am tend to try and address grass roots athletics at a individual level through increasing participation within my own groups in track, road and cross country championships as much as possible.

I am sure the race series are well aware as they work closely with the AAI normally and host the AAI National Marathon Championships when numbers and overhead costs were to expensive to host standalone races back in the day.

And competition saturation actually is hurting the sport in general because ironically it is making people shy away from competition.

Well its not really that I think talk is cheap, its more that I think that this thread and forum are not the best place for channeling your annoyance about the AAI.

If I was upset about something and was being ignored I would probably take my emails to the next level. Who is that, the minister for sports office?
    I dont know but quoting facts & figures about AAI spending on a forum like this is falling on deaf ears.

I can't imagine anyone boycotting the series either because of it.
    I wouldnt lose sleep if members of the AAI got a few extra grand at the top either. I dont think they earn that much either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Dublin is a fair distance to travel for me for a 5k, but I like the idea of the 5 and 10 miles alright. Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It’s certainly strange to see a new Dublin race series starting up, where there is already a Dublin Race series. Especially strange that two of the ‘new’ races look like two of the old races also. Something going on - I wish both parties would just be upfront about what it is!

For instance we were told races were moving because there was no room in the park. Now the HM is back in the park, and a ‘new’ 10 miler in the park while the old one has been relocated.

All a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Murph_D wrote: »
    It’s certainly strange to see a new Dublin race series starting up, where there is already a Dublin Race series. Especially strange that two of the ‘new’ races look like two of the old races also. Something going on - I wish both parties would just be upfront about what it is!

For instance we were told races were moving because there was no room in the park. Now the HM is back in the park, and a ‘new’ 10 miler in the park while the old one has been relocated.

All a bit odd.

Very true - hope they believe there is demand for both, be sad to see them competing due to some politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Murph_D wrote:

God it sounds like Run Clare vs Run The Banner all over again

All a bit odd.

I'm not good at reading between the lines - what are you saying you think is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm not good at reading between the lines - what are you saying you think is going on?

No idea!

No idea!

Ah dammit, I wasn't even being smart. I really don't know what was being suggested. And now I'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Did the Streets of Dublin 5k on Sunday.

Good race and a flat fast course. They started in waves to break up the crowd which was a good idea.

But only Gun times given as there was no timing mat at the start.

Also the results look wrong, I'm in an older category and in the wrong running club!

doesn't bother me too much, but I didn't even get a time

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I was in the no result category as well, just received this mail from Athletics Ireland about the problems.

Thank you for your participation in the SPAR Streets of Dublin 5k.

As you are likely aware due to a technology issue there has been a delay in issuing results for the SPAR Streets of Dublin 5k.

Athletics Ireland has worked together with our timing partners since Sunday and made every effort possible to recover participants race times. Unfortunately after recovering some times and to our great disappointment, we are unable to recover the remaining results.

Unfortunately a proportion of the timing chips were encoded incorrectly and as a result the correct information (i.e. start time/finish time) cannot be retrieved from the chip when scanned. Regrettably this timing issue only became apparent once the run was finished.

Due to some omitted and inaccurate race results from the SPAR Streets of Dublin 5K, we cannot identify the winners of the age categories prizes. We feel that the best decision in this situation is to roll over the age category prizes (Male and Female 35+, 45+ 55+, 65+) to the next event in the Athletics Ireland Race Series. This will mean that the Irish Runner 5 Mile master categories prize fund has doubled. Although we recognise this isn’t the situation we wanted, we believe it is currently the fairest decision for all our participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

There was clearly no timing mat on the ground at the start line and there no beeping noise from the chip when we under the starting gate!

AAD wrote: »
    I was in the no result category as well, just received this mail from Athletics Ireland about the problems.

Thank you for your participation in the SPAR Streets of Dublin 5k.

As you are likely aware due to a technology issue there has been a delay in issuing results for the SPAR Streets of Dublin 5k.

Athletics Ireland has worked together with our timing partners since Sunday and made every effort possible to recover participants race times. Unfortunately after recovering some times and to our great disappointment, we are unable to recover the remaining results.

Unfortunately a proportion of the timing chips were encoded incorrectly and as a result the correct information (i.e. start time/finish time) cannot be retrieved from the chip when scanned. Regrettably this timing issue only became apparent once the run was finished.

Due to some omitted and inaccurate race results from the SPAR Streets of Dublin 5K, we cannot identify the winners of the age categories prizes. We feel that the best decision in this situation is to roll over the age category prizes (Male and Female 35+, 45+ 55+, 65+) to the next event in the Athletics Ireland Race Series. This will mean that the Irish Runner 5 Mile master categories prize fund has doubled. Although we recognise this isn’t the situation we wanted, we believe it is currently the fairest decision for all our participants.

Wonder will they take same approach next year in crowning the 5k National champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

glennhysen wrote: »
    There was clearly no timing mat on the ground at the start line and there no beeping noise from the chip when we under the starting gate!

There doesn't need to be either of those. There's at least one well-known race timing company in Ireland, MyRunResults, whose timer is above you in the start/finish arch and which doesn't make any beeping sound.

Advertisement