Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with Garmin 920xt

Options
  • 28-02-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Hey folks two quick questions.

If you are out for a run trying to stay in zone 2, how long of a run would you need to be doing to get the benefit? I went out for a run last night ended up being out a lot longer than planned and picked up the pace for the last 2 km, would this reverse the benefit of running in zone 2 or can I mix up the run 50/50 zone 2 and zone 4 and still get the benefit.

And secondly how accurate would the default HR zones be on the Garmin 920xt. Due to a hamstring injury I dont want to risk the higher intensity exercise to set the HR zones correctly. So should I forget about them for the moment and just train or would they be close enough to get the benefit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm not sure about the answer to the first one but generally if you're doing an easy run, keep it easy unless the progression or faster stuff has a purpose and is part of the run.

If you're pretty sure the zones are off, use RPE as an indicator of effort. I wouldn't use the default zones on the Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Hey folks two quick questions.

If you are out for a run trying to stay in zone 2, how long of a run would you need to be doing to get the benefit? I went out for a run last night ended up being out a lot longer than planned and picked up the pace for the last 2 km, would this reverse the benefit of running in zone 2 or can I mix up the run 50/50 zone 2 and zone 4 and still get the benefit.

And secondly how accurate would the default HR zones be on the Garmin 920xt. Due to a hamstring injury I dont want to risk the higher intensity exercise to set the HR zones correctly. So should I forget about them for the moment and just train or would they be close enough to get the benefit.

Thanks

The benefits of training in zone 2 are that it gives you a good aerobic base by increasing the production of mitochondria which are the power house of the type 1 muscle cells. It is important for fat utilisation as an energy source, as well as for glycogen preservation until the latter stages of your race when you most need an energy source for a strong finish and zone 2 enhances your ability to deplete lactate which prevents you cramping, again towards the latter stages of your race.

The frequency of zone 2 sessions should be higher during off season for obvious reasons. The length of zone 2 run all depends on what distance of triathlon you are training for. There's certainly nothing wrong with mixing in some higher intensity zone 4 segments which will challenge the body and type 2 (faster twitch) muscle fibres. I presume you would have loaded your age / gender profile into your garmin which would give you ballpark hr zones based on your max heart rate, the accuracy of which is pretty good, in my opinion garmin are the best in the business at what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Just on this and totally unrelated, I just figured out the point of the Drill Log in Pool Swim mode this morning.
    No more missed metres due to hideous kicking sets

Advertisement