Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow situation

Options
  • 28-02-2018 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm on a team of 6. Two were put up in a neighbouring hotel for the duration of the snow. Two more were told to pack a bag for work that one would need to stay in the hotel tonight. (All team members living in Dublin city/south area) One dcided he wanted to drive. I was giving no alternative but expected to drive to and from work. I've a tiny car and a nervous driver in snow. I didn't go in. Will this be docked as annual leave? And in a similar situation would you risk the drive in tomorrow? At a loss as what I should be doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I think depending on where you are and the particular conditions in your area, expecting you to drive when others were being put up for the night is a bit ****ty.

I made an attempt to drive in this morning but turned back as the roads were crazy. I told work before it left the house that the roads were bad and i’d See how I got on. Then rang to tell them it was too dangerous and I was turning back.

If this is just the start, there is no way i’ll Make it tomorrow or Friday from what i’m Hearing. Explain your situation to HR and see what is said.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well others been put up for the night would suggest they live a good distance from work where as you are local. They can dock your pay for the day to make up for you not coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HeavyHeaded

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well others been put up for the night would suggest they live a good distance from work where as you are local. They can dock your pay for the day to make up for you not coming in.

Not from far away. One from city one from same area as me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

It is currently a status red weather alert for Dublin, this is the most-severe weather alert possible so you were wise not to drive and they were mad to expect you to do so.
    They are not required to pay you if you can't attend under these circumstances but you shouldn't be subjected to any disciplinary proceedings

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HeavyHeaded

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It is currently a status red weather alert for Dublin, this is the most-severe weather alert possible so you were wise not to drive and they were mad to expect you to do so.
    They are not required to pay you if you can't attend under these circumstances but you shouldn't be subjected to any disciplinary proceedings

That's what I thought but I'm really upset about the situation I've been put in. Everyone else was assisted to ensure they were in work I wasn't and I'm gonna be down either days leave or money and feeling pressured to go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

And now all Dublin bus services for tomorrow have been cancelled, with a possibility of this being extended to Friday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

That's what I thought but I'm really upset about the situation I've been put in. Everyone else was assisted to ensure they were in work I wasn't and I'm gonna be down either days leave or money and feeling pressured to go in.

If you feel that it is not safe to travel to work make your own mind up but do let them know why.

These other people. They do the same job as you ? Have they explained why they have not given you the same options ?

I'd worry about what to do next when they tell you what they propose to do. It doesnt sound like a very nice operation to work for.

What line of work is it ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Everyone else was assisted to ensure they were in work I wasn't and I'm gonna be down either days leave or money and feeling pressured to go in.

And exactly who far from work to you live and how far away do the others live?

Advertisement