Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying in shop

• 28-02-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Do you hand the cash/coins directly to the cashier or put it on the counter in front of them? I find the latter to be quite rude especially if cashier puts there hand out for the money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It depends and varies considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I tap...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I put the money in their hand. It is rude when you put your hand out for your change and they put it on the counter instead, with a big puss on them all the while. Passive aggression at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Hand it to them then they throw onto the counter back at me.ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Worse is when they hand you a pile of coins balanced on top of notes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

If they bag my goods, I hand it to them. If they put the bag on the counter, I put the cash on the counter. If theres no bag, and they swipe and hand me my goods, I hand it to them. If they swipe then place my goods on the counter, I place the money on the counter. However, if there are a number of items, too much to be taken in one hand, but don't require a bag and so placed on the counter, I hand it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hand it to them and they pull the old drop change on the counter move.boils my p1ss.take my sweet time picking it up bit by bit and the name goes in the little black book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 DelaneyO

It depends and varies considerably.

What exactly does it depend on? If they put their hand out, you should hand it to them. To do otherwise is pure rudeness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I shout "go long" and then throw it as an overhand American football spiral forward pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

DelaneyO wrote: »
    What exactly does it depend on? If they put their hand out, you should hand it to them. To do otherwise is pure rudeness.

That's one of the circumstances on which it depends. See above for a few more.

After I have written the cheque, having confirmed the payee and correct date, I usually hand it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I bet you have this laminated and bring it with you everytime you shop...

What do you do when they start to help you pack your groceries but you interrupt them to give them cash to pay so they then have to stop helping you...counter or hand?
    Hoboo wrote: »
    If they bag my goods, I hand it to them. If they put the bag on the counter, I put the cash on the counter. If theres no bag, and they swipe and hand me my goods, I hand it to them. If they swipe then place my goods on the counter, I place the money on the counter. However, if there are a number of items, too much to be taken in one hand, but don't require a bag and so placed on the counter, I hand it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

frag420 wrote: »
    I tap...

Me too. I tap a coin on their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Throw it at them coin by coin whilst laughing maniacally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'll ask the servant , though I did see a young man point a " sawn off " and scream " gimme the #@&£+ money".

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

I tap...

‘Can I tap it?’ I always have a little chuckle when I hear the cashier asking customer this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I hand the cash to them and hold on just long enough to make it awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I hand it to them, unless I’m getting diesel or something and I don’t need change. Always hand it to them if they have their hand out. It’s the worst ever when a cashier puts the change on the counter when you have your hand out, I find it so rude. Also the struggle of picking up change from a counter when you’re wearing fake nails is real!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I don't pay but then again with my name that's sort of obvious now isn't it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I bet you have this laminated and bring it with you everytime you shop...

What do you do when they start to help you pack your groceries but you interrupt them to give them cash to pay so they then have to stop helping you...counter or hand?

Stop helping me? If Im in a shop, with a counter, as outlined by the OP, its generally room for one bag only and a small number of items, and one person filling the bag. If thats them, I wait and hand them the money when finished. If thats me, after them putting a bag on the counter and not swiping the items and placing them in the bag as they go, they're counting the money off the counter.

If its in a supermarket I always hand them the cash. Call me old fashioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Throw it at them coin by coin whilst laughing maniacally

He's talking about shopkeepers, not beggars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What's worst are the ones who don't tell you what the total is. In them cases I make a point of asking them 'how much', even though it may be on the display in front of me.

Oh yeah, and hand out for the change, money into their hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

sugarman wrote: »
    It's a weird one, in Ireland and England it's considered rude to not hand it to them, but in other places like eastern Europe it's the opposite. Almost every shop has a dish you're supposed to place it into at the till.

Think that’s something do do with hygiene , but I’ve no idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A Garda wouldn’t ask me that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How odd. Surely the establishment in question should simply forward a quarterly bill for the attention of one's staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I put the coins in my hand and pretend to offer it to the cashier, then drop it on the floor before they have had a chance to take it from me, I sometimes kick the coins around the floor and walk out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I hand it to them. There is one shop near me where a female like person with a face like a slapped arse will always put her hand out to take the money of you but will always put the change on the counter in front of you despite you having your hand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I usually punch them in the face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A Garda wouldn’t ask me that!

There's a lot they wouldn;t ask it would seem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sugarman wrote: »
    It's a weird one, in Ireland and England it's considered rude to not hand it to them, but in other places like eastern Europe it's the opposite. Almost every shop has a dish you're supposed to place it into at the till.

yeah I have noticed how Polish & Latvians working in my local Spar used to put your change on the counter. To them it is normal as thats the way it is done back home. But here it comes across as rude. Luckily they got trained out of it by the manager, he was probably getting complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I hand it to them, unless I’m getting diesel or something and I don’t need change. Always hand it to them if they have their hand out. It’s the worst ever when a cashier puts the change on the counter when you have your hand out, I find it so rude. Also the struggle of picking up change from a counter when you’re wearing fake nails is real!
    It can be tough even with short nails esp on a very smooth shiny counter. I try to slide the coins en masse off the edge of the counter with one hand into your other cupped hand, but not always easy if you have bags etc.

Advertisement