Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat is a toxin! According to “nutritionists”.

• 28-02-2018 2:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 DelaneyO

I was at home in my parents house a few weeks ago about to fry up a lovely piece of Angus Rib Eye steak which I eat only seared and almost raw.

I had my onions fried and veg boiled and spuds roasted, I had just melted a lump of pig lard on the pan when my sister walked in.

She saw me about to fry my steak, she almost had a coronary. What?! You’re frying it?!

Ehhh, yeah. What’s the problem?- I
    replied. “You’re already overweight “ was her reply, ( I’m not, but whatever).

She told me I’m in serious need of hot yoga to “sweat out my toxins”.

I asked her what she meant by “toxins”, I asked her to name specific toxins. According to her (what her “nutritionist” told her), my pig lard, carbs from the spuds and bread and sugar from the Mexican cola are “toxins”.

Apparently these can be “sweated out”.

Jesus, everyone is an overnight nutritionist. Why are people paying for bogus and erroneous information? Should these people not be criminalised? Is it not dangerous for unqualified people to be charging for what is essentialy health information?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm having my breakfast Kate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Tell her men like a woman with a bit of toxins on them.

She’ll dive headfirst in that rib eye

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's only two ways steak should be fried, on the back of a shovel or on one of them fancy copper pans.

And no fcuking lard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Your Face wrote: »
    I'm having my breakfast Kate.
    Kate doesn't do Mexican cola. Well...not with steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Thought the fatwa against fat was over? A concentration on the evils of sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Dietician? Not sure of spelling, are qualified about food and nutricion.

Nutricionists are not. They are a quasi self appointed foodie.

Its the difference between knowlegable and ignorance

Take anything they say with a pinch of salt (after checking with a dietician)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Anyone who moans about stake like this has serious issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Why would you buy Mexican Cola? Ours is made with sugar as well no? I thought it was just the Americans who preferred it to their corn syrup fructose version? You're just as bad as your sis you hipster :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Dietitions? Not sure of spelling are qualified

Nutricionists are not.

Its the difference between knowlegable and ignorance

Dieticians are to nutritionists as dentists are to toothiologists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not overweight, I'm just underheight

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Why would you buy Mexican Cola? Ours is made with sugar as well no? I thought it was just the Americans who preferred it to their corn syrup fructose version? You're just as bad as your sis you hipster :p

As far as I know Mexican cola is made with cane sugar..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nutritionist isn't a protected term. I can call my dead cat a nutritionist. Dietician is the protected, qualified term.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

DelaneyO wrote: »
    Jesus, everyone is an overnight nutritionist. Why are people paying for bogus and erroneous information? Should these people not be criminalised? Is it not dangerous for unqualified people to be charging for what is essentialy health information?

They get away with it because here and most parts of the world (America excluded), nutritionist isn't a thing, it's a makey up word, so if you follow their advice that is up to you. It's not a protected term, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

If they said they were a dietitian and gave the same bogus advice, they would be in trouble. One is medically trained, the other is just a person giving random advice.

No different than someone calling themselves a toothologist telling you that you should rip out your incisors because you don't need them. If you follow that advice and rip out your teeth, that's kind of your own fault listening to a "toothologist" instead of a Dentist.

The best thing is probably explain to your sister that she should be seeing a dietitian, not a nutritionist. She probably thinks the latter is the real deal due to the word being so well known. Maybe use an analogy like above, and make it even more silly sounding to get the point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

[QUOTE=Hector Bellend;1062
    89590]Anyone who moans about stake like this has serious issues.[/QUOTE]

Dracula had some serious issues with stakes IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Joe prim wrote: »
    Dracula had some serious issues with stakes IIRC.
    And had some seriously bad advice from his toothiologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Frying a steak in lard? Seriously??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I like a nice rib eye steak myself, but frying it in pig fat? That's where I draw the limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 DelaneyO

Just a dollop on the pan instead of oil :confused: what’s the issue?

tell her the nutritionist is a toxin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DelaneyO wrote: »
    Just a dollop on the pan instead of oil :confused: what’s the issue?
    A rib eye steak already has fat running through it, the most you need, especially as you like your steak rare is to rub a tiny bit of oil onto the steak, season it, get the pan smoking hot and straight into the pan. No need for oil or any other fat in the pan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 DelaneyO

Alun wrote: »
    A rib eye steak already has fat running through it, the most you need, especially as you like your steak rare is to rub a tiny bit of oil onto the steak, season it, get the pan smoking hot and straight into the pan. No need for oil or any other fat in the pan.

I’ll have to try that!

In fairness to lard, it made the list of the hundred most nutritious foods.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180126-the-100-most-nutritious-foods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Tbh bolloxology or not my response would be along the lines of "I couldn't give a sh1t, it's my steak and my health. F*ck off"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tell them you're making sure you don't get protein poisoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

Protein poisoning (also referred to colloquially as rabbit starvation, mal de caribou, or fat starvation) is a rare form of acute malnutrition thought to be caused by a complete absence of fat in the diet... Protein poisoning was first noted as a consequence of eating rabbit meat exclusively, hence the term, "rabbit starvation". Rabbit meat is very lean.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Lads you need Beef lard for frying steak, otherwise you are fúckerising with the flavour, at least half a pound of beef lard and don't mind the bollocks of it has to be this way or that, it has to be the way YOU like it and no other

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

pretty sure, in my unqualified foodologist opinion, that there are certain vitamins and essential nutrients that are only present in fats. so you need to eat certain amount of fat to stay healthy.

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    pretty sure, in my unqualified foodologist opinion, that there are certain vitamins and essential nutrients that are only present in fats. so you need to eat certain amount of fat to stay healthy.

Yeah, throw in the fat soluble vitamins being beneficial to health.

Advertisement