Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitman's software developer course

Options
  • 28-02-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all.
    I enquired about Pitman's software developer diploma that can be done online and found out that it would cost €2500. As with most if not all Pitman courses it's very expensive and was wondering if anyone knew if there were cheaper alternatives to this course. They also wouldn't tell me what exams I would be eligible to sit after the course rather they just told me, if you pass various exams you will be a qualified software developer. Does anyone know any cheaper alternatives of this diploma? (I tried to insert the link to the course here to give an idea of the course modules but the site won't allow me as I'm a new user.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

This it?
    https://www.pitman-training.ie/products/software-developer-diploma/

It looks like it's just doing a few Microsoft Certs and the OCA (Java cert). The Java cert they've listed is two versions old too.

The HTML5 and Java certs can be done through Solas(Fas) if you're eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jj989

Unfortunately I'm not eligibleto do the certs through solas but would you happen to know of any other organisations or businesses that do these Microsoft, java and html5 certs (even if online courses. I've heard sololearn and codeacademy do some fundamentals courses?) And what would be the corresponding exams I would have to take for these certs? (2) I'm not sure if it's completely stupid of me to ask this question but is it possible that once these java, Microsoft and html5 certs are completed that one could get a job as a software developer? (3) In the IT industry is it a rule of thumb that when a cert and exam that you passed in the past has now been outdated (like the outdated java in pitmans course) then that particular cert you previously passed is worthless now as it's old and not up to date.
    Sorry about all the questions and thanks as always for the info ye have already given me.

Advertisement