Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Andorra

Options
  • 28-02-2018 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I've allowed myself to be talked into cycling in Andorra for a week at end of September and was wondering what, if any, experience of cycling there people may have.  Any suggestions of routes to ride/avoid in Andorra or surrounding areas? 
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Just back from skiing there. There aren't too many roads so orientation should be easy enough. The road from Andorra La Vella up through the Grand Valira ski resort valley to Pas de la Casa would offer a fine spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

Just back from there myself too, would be a lovely cylce alright. Roads were busy at peak times however, but I imagine this is more of an issue during ski season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I'll be passing through in early Sept, and happy to update you then. Our current plan is to cross W to E as part of an alternative Pyrenees traverse. There are some substantial cols (including the highest in the Pyrenees), and some options for gravelly stuff too.

My sense is that there are not a lot of roads, and so care needs to be taken in planning, if you want to (a) get from A to B and (b) avoid heavy traffic. Komoot and Google maps are your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Here's a nice route for you to have a bash at. A few of the climbs were used on stage 3 of La Vuelta.
    Very little in the way of flat roads, it's either up or down.
    Based around Encamp.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1120540944

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

We skirted past Andorra on a Pyrenees trip last year. It was HOT (June), about 35 C. I assume Sept will be cooler. Super road surfaces. Climbs can be long. Our longest was the Puymorens, which I think was about 28 km, and that was after a 22 km drag. Main thing is to have enough water. I hear that if it rains, you can get very cold very fast, so pack accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 pab01

Thanks all for the replies, September can't come quick enough. Going for the hills but will have car so maybe not restricted to area immediate to Andorra. Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Here's a nice route for you to have a bash at. A few of the climbs were used on stage 3 of La Vuelta.
    Very little in the way of flat roads, it's either up or down.
    Based around Encamp.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1120540944
    Just a leisurely ramble, ya? :D
    That's a bucket list one for me but I have a suspicion the bucket would be much closer afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Just a leisurely ramble, ya? :D
    That's a bucket list one for me but I have a suspicion the bucket would be much closer afterwards!!

Going back this year to have another crack at it.

Advertisement