Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium after home insurance claim

• 28-02-2018 5:05pm

Hi,

We have water damage in our house and will need quite a bit of work done. It'll be our first time claiming, so I wanted to ask, will our premium go up because of it? If yes, by how much and for how long? We have insurance with Blue, but I'm interested in any experience.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭gipi

I was burgled last year and made a claim for approx. 3000 euro for loss and damage.

My premium rose by 80 euro at last renewal.

I found it difficult to get a reasonably priced quote from other insurers due to the claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,137 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your policy might go up a small amount. The excess for water damage in the future might jump up & as said above other companies might not be keen on quoting you for a few years.

If you are claiming for thousands it's worth while but if it's hundreds I would bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We have water damage in our house and will need quite a bit of work done.

What was the primary cause of the leak?

Bear in mind that home insurance typically doesn't cover something that happens over time so if there was corrosion or a leaky joint that you only discovered when you lifted a floorboard or a panel in the bathroom, they will probably refuse cover.

Thanks, everyone.

Water damage is old, I'm afraid, but it got worse recently. Never thought it wouldn't be covered, but thanks for pointing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks, everyone.

Water damage is old, I'm afraid, but it got worse recently. Never thought it wouldn't be covered, but thanks for pointing it out.

Your claim will be declined.

For a claim to be valid it must be from a "sudden and unforeseen" event. If its a gradually operating cause ie something that has been on going, unnoticed, then it would be excluded under the policy wording / conditions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement