Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Ethernet Hub Question

• 28-02-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Evening all. Basic question.

I have a BB router in my apartment...supplying wifi plus has two ethernet ports. I want to run a cable from the router to where our TV is...and install some type of splitter/hub to connect 4 devices, e.g. TV, xbox, android box, etc. I've been told a network switch is what I need. It's unlikely more than one device will be using the ethernet connection at any one time...so I'm not looking at contention etc. Two questions:

1) Is it a simple switch I need...something like http://www.currys.ie/Product/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-Network-Switch-5-port/326842/400.7.7?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZOoo4vJ2QIVY7XtCh3_hQSsEAQYBCABEgIMGPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2) If YES...does the cable from the router take up one slot...and the other devices just plug in to slots 2-5 ?.

This is really just about convenience and plug-and-play...and so I don't have to rely on wifi (which isn't great).

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

1) Switch in the link will do the job, but ! this is only 100Mb switch - these days would recommend(strong) to go for 1000Mb(1Gb) model
    note1: difference in model number: SF vs. SG
    note2: incorrect description given by currys - "managed". This is not managed, it is plug-N-play switch.
    note3: Link just for comparing purposes, there could be better places to shop for switches.

2) you got this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

Thanks Smuggler - at least I now know what I'm looking for. I understand the 100Mb v 1Gb ref...so I'll bear this in mind.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

unless you're transmitting huge bandwidth between the devices or have greater than 100Mb broadband, I'm not sure you need a gigabit switch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dardania wrote: »
    unless you're transmitting huge bandwidth between the devices or have greater than 100Mb broadband, I'm not sure you need a gigabit switch...
    Sure....
    .....and you can still drive this Skoda 1000 MB... it will go just fine....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Dardania wrote: »
    Sure....
    .....and you can still drive this Skoda 1000 MB... it will go just fine....
    Cool looking car! My point stands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

For a few quid more (OK, double the price) you get 8 ports (7 useable with an uplink instead of 4) and 1000Mbps instead of 100Mbps. If your copying files from device to device you will see the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Hope I can get a similarity helpful reply
    Currently I have a router with 4 ports all in use

1 for small server with my media on it (2ipads &
    Media player access this for watching movies,back up pics and vids from phones )
    2nd to sky box
    3rd to Apple TV
    4 to a media player box

I’m planning and extension and will be moving the router to a utility room

I will have 2 places in the house needing multiple wired connections (2 tv rooms)
    All cat 6 cables to be used

1 is it best to run a single cat 6 cable from router to both these points and the split the cable using a switch
    Or
    2 have a switch close to router and run individual cables to each item that requires it

If so do I need a managed or unmanaged switch ?

Should I plan to have server connected to the router directly or can it be at the end of one of the points connected to the switch and work equally as well?

Also plan on putting a wireless access point on the opposite side of the house from where the router is to maintain decent coverage in the House
    Can I run this back to one of the switches also

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

1 is it best to run a single cat 6 cable from router to both these points and the split the cable using a switch
    Or
    2 have a switch close to router and run individual cables to each item that requires it

The cost of the cable is very low.
    Put in two runs (even together) so that you have a fall-back in case of problems later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

The cost of the cable is very low.
    Put in two runs (even together) so that you have a fall-back in case of problems later.

Ok
    Thanks

Amy other advice ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

soundsham wrote: »
    Ok
    Thanks

Amy other advice ?

I ran twin cables to each point, and fitted double sockets.
    I don't expect to need them, but for the sake of the extra cost against having a failed cable in the future, it was well worth it IMO.

All cables from all rooms go back to the central media press; to a patch panel connected to a 24 port 'easy manage' switch.
    In truth I have not had occasion to need to manage the switch, nor do I expect to have to in the medium term.

The modem connects to the switch.
    My file server connects to the switch.
    My TV distribution system connects to the switch.
    All outlet points connect to the switch.

For me there was no need for any complications.
    Just use reasonably good Gbit switch ..... no need to go overboard IMO.
    By the time it needs to be replaced it will have served its purpose.
    That's my thinking for the little it is worth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement