Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological males in women's sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A wang is usually a good indicator of gender.

Lots of people out there born with a wang and a cervix. Even biological gender is a iffy subject and its not as clear cut as dick/vagina.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I wonder how people would feel about a biological women identifying as a man, takes testosterone for 3-4 years and then switches back to a woman and competes against women?

I cant see how this is any different than someone taking HGH or other PED for a couple of years before turning pro and being clean.

Do they really think that there is no advantage to be gained by this process?
    If they do, how is this any different than having natural testosterone coursing through your body for the first 18+ years of your life and then competing against biological women?

The small bit of research says that gains through hormones are lost fast when they stop. Muscle Mass, bone density, endurance, strength etc are all lost quickly and from reading about it online, lots of first hand accounts from people say the same thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lots of people out there born with a wang and a cervix.
    There are not "lots of people" born with a penis and cervix. That would be a case of true hermaphroditism which is incredibly rare and even in cases of true hermaphroditism the presence of both a penis and cervix would be beyond rare. True hermaphroditism would be more along the lines of someone having the gonad tissue of both male and female(which would be in the 1 in 100,000 births).

Intersex(which is the proper term these days) folks would be those who are genetically male or female with (to varying degrees)ambiguous external genitalia because of genetic and/or developmental conditions. Estimates for those folks in the population AFAIR is around the 1 in 2000. They're not necessarily transgender either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wibbs wrote: »
    There are not "lots of people" born with a penis and cervix. That would be a case of true hermaphroditism which is incredibly rare and even in cases of true hermaphroditism the presence of both a penis and cervix would be beyond rare. True hermaphroditism would be more along the lines of someone having the gonad tissue of both male and female(which would be in the 1 in 100,000 births).

Intersex(which is the proper term these days) folks would be those who are genetically male or female with (to varying degrees)ambiguous external genitalia because of genetic and/or developmental conditions. Estimates for those folks in the population AFAIR is around the 1 in 2000. They're not necessarily transgender either.

1 in 2000 is "lots" of people. So saying

A wang is usually a good indicator of gender.
    while strictly true is pretty much meaningless and hopelessly simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So is simply black and white or is there a grey area?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

1 in 2000 is "lots" of people.
    1 in 2000 is not people with both a penis and a cervix. 1 in 2000 is Intersex folks in general, a condition that varies in severity, from those with very ambiguous genitalia to those who don't even realise they're Intersex until some other medical condition reveals it. Try finding just one example of a person where both a penis and cervix is present. So no, not "lots of people" as was suggested.
    So is simply black and white or is there a grey area?
    Intersex, certainly a large percentage of Intersex folks, itself is the near definition of a "grey area". Where they may be genetically and biologically male or female, but present with genitals that don't match the norm for their genetic and biological gender. Underdeveloped penis, overdeveloped clitoris, issues with the urinary system etc. Contrary to popular belief they're not male/female with female/male genitalia, hence the old term of "hermaphroditism" is biologically inaccurate and no longer used.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Have no idea what the general position is with Intersex people regarding their being used as specimen samples or talking points or what-about-this fodder by trans activists - but if I had the condition I imagine first I would have enough to deal with living with the circumstances, and second I would feel like making the sharp distinction between a biological condition that happened involuntarily in utero during foetal development due to genes or hormonal variation in the mother, and a psychological/physiological dysphoria or social discomfort that emerges regardless of biology at some later point in life. They are clearly different conditions entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

This is always the way these things go and it shows that the people saying it have nothing left to contribute - "What about intersex/hermaphrodite/whatever?"

Yes, those people exist. Yes, they have a medical condition that means they have both male and female parts to a greater or lesser degree. Yes, the fairness of their participation in sport is complicated (i.e Caster Semenya and (very few) others). This is not the issue and is only used here to paint sceptics as bullies and to falsely link actual medical science with modern ideologically driven agendas.

Rachel McKinnon and the other athletes in question on this issue are not intersex - they are male to female transsexuals with the residual male traits of someone who was born and raised a full biological male.

Even if muscle mass, bone density and testosterone are reduced to female levels, the skeletal structure, haemoglobin capacity, heart size and lung volume of a former male will still be, forever and always, much larger than an equivalent female.

I see people over on the thread in the cycling forum, and on twitter from McKinnon herself, arguing that on average men aren't to the level of elite females. This is a wholly disingenuous argument and I feel that its proponents know as much. I'm a fairly average male and with some proper training I'd be pushing national level in female competitions. The same could be said for arguably half of all men if we assume the average male is the cut off.
    An averagely good male has the physiological potential to be equivalent to a national level female in almost any sport. A good-to-national level male will absolutely wipe the floor with 99% of females in almost any sport.
    In an average large running race the first women will start finishing after 2 to 10% of the men have completed (higher percentages in shorter, faster disciplines, with the gap closing with increased endurance requirements). If trans athletes are a cross section of the male population, it stands to reason that between 2 and 10% of trans women will be faster than all elite females. The women's 100m world record isn't even inside the top ten Irish 100m times.
    It's not going to take a lot of trans athletes in future to start averaging women off the podium altogether, forever. Way fewer than 2% of women - women who DO compete - rise through underage and junior ranks to elite or national level. But we're expected to compare the percentage of women involved in sport with an average cross section of all men including the bone idle lazy arses sitting on their sofa eating crisps and watching tv. That's bad stats and i think everyone knows it. The more prevalent trans athletes become the more these formerly bog standard men will become elite women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

wexie wrote: »
    ** I've hopefully phrased this (again) suitably vague and sensitive, I fully appreciate that transwomen legally are women and understand the mods need to make sure Boards as an entity stays out of legal trouble

it's nothing to do with keeping Boards out of legal trouble, and all about being politically correct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

1 in 2000 is not people with both a penis and a cervix. 1 in 2000 is Intersex folks in general, a condition that varies in severity, from those with very ambiguous genitalia to those who don't even realise they're Intersex until some other medical condition reveals it. Try finding just one example of a person where both a penis and cervix is present. So no, not "lots of people" as was suggested.

Intersex, certainly a large percentage of Intersex folks, itself is the near definition of a "grey area". Where they may be genetically and biologically male or female, but present with genitals that don't match the norm for their genetic and biological gender. Underdeveloped penis, overdeveloped clitoris, issues with the urinary system etc. Contrary to popular belief they're not male/female with female/male genitalia, hence the old term of "hermaphroditism" is biologically inaccurate and no longer used.

+1

I've a former colleague who only discovered she was technically intersex at 19 when she hadn't started her periods. She's a woman alright, but had a set of undescended testes which were causing issues.

One surgery later, and she's sorted.

It's not widespread nor common and Wibbs is spot on - can be undetected and asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Lots of people out there born with a wang and a cervix. Even biological gender is a iffy subject and its not as clear cut as dick/vagina.

This seems to be becoming part of the the justification of the religious mantras that there is no gender, etc (except the one I want to become etc).

No sane person is denying intersex conditions. they are just very rare.

NCBI: Anne Fausto-Sterling s suggestion that the prevalence of intersex might be as high as 1.7% has attracted wide attention in both the scholarly press and the popular media. Many reviewers are not aware that this figure includes conditions which most clinicians do not recognize as intersex, such as Klinefelter syndrome, Turner syndrome, and late-onset adrenal hyperplasia. If the term intersex is to retain any meaning, the term should be restricted to those conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female. Applying this more precise definition, the true prevalence of intersex is seen to be about 0.018%, almost 100 times lower than Fausto-Sterling s estimate of 1.7%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Oh for....it's sex, not gender. Intersex people have asked that transactivists stop using their condition to promote their beliefs, and intersex organisations have come out strongly against the transitioning of children and teenagers.

Biological sex is completely clear cut. Gender might be described as social construct, sex is not.

There are many other differences between mens physical capacity for endurance sport, apart from testosterone.

Transsexual women with a GRC and amended birth cert acquire some of the legal rights of natal women. ''Transgender'' is a term that encompasses everything from crossdressers, autogynephiles, 'non binary' and dozens of other 'identities'.
    Transsexuals that I know do not consider themselves women but have made every material, cosmetic and social effort possible to align as closely as possibly to the life of a woman. But they accept they are not women.

Oh for....it's sex, not gender. Intersex people have asked that transactivists stop using their condition to promote their beliefs, and intersex organisations have come out strongly against the transitioning of children and teenagers.

Glad to have that information. I thought that would have to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

autogynephiles

Well....there's my new word for the day :o

ingalway wrote: »
    In tandem with the debate about gender reassignment, surgery, hormones etc I think the fact that Gender Self ID is now being introduced into some countries deserves equal attention.

Any biological man, or woman, only has to declare on a form that they are the opposite gender to which they were born. They don't have to see a doctor, don't have to have taken any hormones, had any surgery or even lived as the opposite gender for a length of time. They don't need to make any attempt whatsoever to even appear as the opposite gender, just declare on the form, then all official documents such as passport, driving licence, can be changed. Access must then be given to all women only spaces, not only sport, eg battered women's refuges where women who have been subjected to male violence go as a last resort, often with their children, must then provide access to trans women.

The NHS are now also offering trans women, who register with their GP as a female, cervical smear tests. NHS guidance states: "men living as women are being invited for cervical smear tests even though they do not have a cervix, an official guidebook states. A video accompanying the guidance explains that smear tests can be “uncomfortable” for trans men, as “it is often a procedure designed for women”.
    I bet it's uncomfortable trying to do a cervical smear on someone with no cervix, I have no idea how you would even attempt that.

“it is often a procedure designed for women”. Total madness

On your first paragraph, thank you for bringing this to wider attention. That s exactly the situation. I'm just surprised that there isn't a thread on Sex Self ID and the proposed amendment to the Gender Recognition Act (UK).

It was kept fairly quiet but some womens right groups have managed to raise awareness over in the UK. There was an online public consultation with little coverage until right before the closing date, with some (biased) tv discussions including one with a panel that included Una Mulally giving ''The Irish Perspective.'' Unfortunately Una gave her own perspective, which I don't think reflects Irish views since not many Irish seem aware that we had a form of self id brought in very quietly. Our law is used as an example of self id ''with no problems'' but there are key differences between this law here and the proposed amendment in the UK (where they now have at least 500,000 people identifying as some form of transgender, compared to the original -5,000 transsexuals the original GRA was created for. https://womansplaceuk.org/the-irish-question/?fbclid=IwAR2muMpCI-GFxPKmyiJFTohZDskJrEgqeTE9QMZ44o8wCWK88M89k4gTEzI

On the second paragraph,There's been some anecdotal reports of trans identifying male bodied people (aka transwomen) turning up for smear tests. It's not too clear if there was an admin mistake resulting in invitations being sent to them.

Just to stay on topic, there's been a report of another incident involving a transwoman competing against a natal woman, this time in MMA. https://www.bjjee.com/articles/transgender-mma-fighter-breaks-female-opponents-skull-are-we-getting-too-politically-correct-with-reality/?fbclid=IwAR0kVDnOI2har4kUlsgZ4EgS25IxtCPAy7mNNj08b5sKvKZRN8vTHq9r_9k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

xtal191 wrote: »

yeah....no physical advantages there whatsoever...

Just to stay on topic, there's been a report of another incident involving a transwoman competing against a natal woman, this time in MMA. https://www.bjjee.com/articles/transgender-mma-fighter-breaks-female-opponents-skull-are-we-getting-too-politically-correct-with-reality/?fbclid=IwAR0kVDnOI2har4kUlsgZ4EgS25IxtCPAy7mNNj08b5sKvKZRN8vTHq9r_9k

That was in 2014

(just letting you know, article (if you can call it that) is very misleading)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The fact that she's about 35 yrs older than the other girls might even it out.

On your first paragraph, thank you for bringing this to wider attention. That s exactly the situation. I'm just surprised that there isn't a thread on Sex Self ID and the proposed amendment to the Gender Recognition Act (UK).

It was kept fairly quiet but some womens right groups have managed to raise awareness over in the UK. There was an online public consultation with little coverage until right before the closing date, with some (biased) tv discussions including one with a panel that included Una Mulally giving ''The Irish Perspective.'' Unfortunately Una gave her own perspective, which I don't think reflects Irish views since not many Irish seem aware that we had a form of self id brought in very quietly. Our law is used as an example of self id ''with no problems'' but there are key differences between this law here and the proposed amendment in the UK (where they now have at least 500,000 people identifying as some form of transgender, compared to the original -5,000 transsexuals the original GRA was created for. https://womansplaceuk.org/the-irish-question/?fbclid=IwAR2muMpCI-GFxPKmyiJFTohZDskJrEgqeTE9QMZ44o8wCWK88M89k4gTEzI

On the second paragraph,There's been some anecdotal reports of trans identifying male bodied people (aka transwomen) turning up for smear tests. It's not too clear if there was an admin mistake resulting in invitations being sent to them.

I'm going to go all out there now :D ...

I have this friend abroad, a philosopher and all round perceptive dude, who suggests that Ireland might be a bit of a test tube for 'progressive' experiments - the very early and very quiet introduction of Self ID for gender could serve as one example of this incremental 'progressivism' promoted in a well-funded economy dependent now on global corporatism. That policy is now being used abroad as an example of how supposedly harmless gender erasure really could be.
    And that is what it really amounts to - erasure - no difference between the sexes in the species. All of us can be equally consuming machines. The erasure is generally happening first regarding women though - transmen do not seem to be muscling in so heavily on male spaces, or begging to be in the boxing ring with the lads. Although having said, that there is an argument to be made that male erasure is taking place elsewhere, like in academia, for example.

Anyways, not saying I buy in to such ideas, but our political classes can be embarrassingly light-weight and eager to please outside authorities.

• Advertisement

Hahahah!! :D ''Socially Aware Stevxn'' the account on Twitter - I cannot tell if it is a parody account or not, that is how bad things are! Could he really be such a total fecken wimp?

Edit - my detectors were faulty there for a minute, it's a joke account (has to be!). Well played Stevxn

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah but what about tall women...something...something dark side?

Zorya wrote: »
    I'm going to go all out there now :D ...

I have this friend abroad, a philosopher and all round perceptive dude, who suggests that Ireland might be a bit of a test tube for 'progressive' experiments - the very early and very quiet introduction of Self ID for gender could serve as one example of this incremental 'progressivism' promoted in a well-funded economy dependent now on global corporatism. That policy is now being used abroad as an example of how supposedly harmless gender erasure really could be.
    And that is what it really amounts to - erasure - no difference between the sexes in the species. All of us can be equally consuming machines. The erasure is generally happening first regarding women though - transmen do not seem to be muscling in so heavily on male spaces, or begging to be in the boxing ring with the lads. Although having said, that there is an argument to be made that male erasure is taking place elsewhere, like in academia, for example.

Anyways, not saying I buy in to such ideas, but our political classes can be embarrassingly light-weight and eager to please outside authorities.

Your friend was onto something.
    The trans activist lobby have quite cleverly hijacked the gay right movements and that association is partly what prevents people from voicing concerns.
    Anything other than affirmation by mental health proffesionals is described as ''conversion therapy'' by the prominent trans activist organisations. Some have spoken out publicly about this. But there is a vast difference between a cautious approach to a gender questioning child/teenager/patient, and gay conversion therapy.

Have you heard of the campaigns to change female descriptors to gender neutral?

Once upon a time it was a US college campus phenomenon but now in the UK it's encroaching on healthcare (and womens health forums/discussion groups online ), breastfeeding support groups, anywhere where women have occasion to mention terminology around female biology.

It's worth looking up the Standing For Women campaign about the definition of a woman, ''Adult Human Female''. The furious reaction to a billboard simply stating the definition was very revealing.

Among other issues I don't think Boards threads have covered, is the Girl Guides scandal and the schools toolkits devised by ''gender charity'' Mermaids. Some very eyebrow raising material there.

Numerous UK schools also implemented a new rule banning female students from wearing the uniform skirt because it was in some way bothersome to trans identifying male students.

Just a handful of examples. It's women and girls being affected more and more. It has been compared to a Mens Rights movement in disguise.

That was in 2014

(just letting you know, article (if you can call it that) is very misleading)

What's the issue, the fact that it is an old report?
    My mistake. Today was the first time I saw it.
    I think it could still be relevant to the issue of male bodied people in womens sports.

What's the issue, the fact that it is an old report?
    My mistake. Today was the first time I saw it.
    I think it could still be relevant to the issue of male bodied people in womens sports.

Oh of course, just pointing out that the 'article' has a recent date on it and then under the video it's mentioned that the incident was in 2014.

Just saving you from the aul 'hey did you hear what happened 't other day?'.

Zorya wrote: »
    transmen do not seem to be muscling in so heavily on male spaces, or begging to be in the boxing ring with the lads.

Gee I wonder why that might be....

Your friend was onto something.
    The trans activist lobby have quite cleverly hijacked the gay right movements and that association is partly what prevents people from voicing concerns.
    Anything other than affirmation by mental health proffesionals is described as ''conversion therapy'' by the prominent trans activist organisations. Some have spoken out publicly about this. But there is a vast difference between a cautious approach to a gender questioning child/teenager/patient, and gay conversion therapy.

Have you heard of the campaigns to change female descriptors to gender neutral?

Once upon a time it was a US college campus phenomenon but now in the UK it's encroaching on healthcare (and womens health forums/discussion groups online ), breastfeeding support groups, anywhere where women have occasion to mention terminology around female biology.

It's worth looking up the Standing For Women campaign about the definition of a woman, ''Adult Human Female''. The furious reaction to a billboard simply stating the definition was very revealing.

Among other issues I don't think Boards threads have covered, is the Girl Guides scandal and the schools toolkits devised by ''gender charity'' Mermaids. Some very eyebrow raising material there.

Numerous UK schools also implemented a new rule banning female students from wearing the uniform skirt because it was in some way bothersome to trans identifying male students.

Just a handful of examples. It's women and girls being affected more and more. It has been compared to a Mens Rights movement in disguise.

yes, I'm aware of most of this, I keep a watching brief, much to my husbands annoyance - he says to me these days, fcuk off if it's another transgender story, I don't care :o
    But I do care.

One of the main instigators of the Woman = Adult Human Female is Posie Parker who is a friend of a friend. She is treated terribly, banned from Twitter, and receives awful hate mail, and sometimes police harrassment, all for saying that a woman means a woman. I would not affiliate myself with her kind of feminism, it's the kind that eats its children, but I admire her overall, her stubborness, her willingness to be public and the ladylike way she says...''Lo and Be-Fcuking-Hold!''

Edit = just adding Posie saying Lo and BefcukingHold haha... happens after a minute or so (at 3.30 ish..)
    https://twitter.com/sargesalute/status/1038939100156518400

I don't suppose you know what they believe the definition should be if not 'adult human female' then no?

Just out of morbid curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ya gotta laugh. The tweet lauds the fact she is twice the age of the rest but didn't mention she was twice the height as well. Love the ponytail perhaps it severs to keep her balanced at that height, it sure don't help to make her look like a woman though.

• Advertisement

I don't suppose you know what they believe the definition should be if not 'adult human female' then no?

Just out of morbid curiosity.

The last one I heard was ''Anyone who sincerely identifies as a woman''.

Advertisement