Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological males in women's sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Zorya wrote: »
    I hope you actually read what I wrote before enquiring. An earlier poster said that trans people BECAME the biological sex to which they transitioned. As in the new mantra ''Transwomen are women'' /''Transmen are men''.
    They are not. It is untrue. For many reasons. But one implication of the new ideology could prove dangerous medically.
    If the ideology is followed then a biological male receiving blood from a transman, who is supposedly now an actual man, is at higher risk of dying if that transman has ever in their life been pregnant. The biological male is 13% more likely to die in that case.

https://www.livescience.com/60702-blood-transfusions-women-men.html

Ah right. No proof on trans peoples blood endagering others then.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

We are at peak madness now.
    We should protect our women this insanity had set back women's sports 50 years, it's not a level playing field Trans athletes should have their own category.
    I'd love to know the motivation behind this pushing trans agenda
    "Our" women - who said that women are owned by anyone?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

"Our" refers to our mothers sisters and daughters I never suggested they are "owned" by anybody.
    But we can support them and ensure they are treated fairly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Ah right. No proof on trans peoples blood endagering others then.

You don't do extrapolation, no? Simple consequential thinking?

That's fine. Work away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

It's a pretty simple solution. If you have a y chromosome you are not allowed compete in the female competition. Simple test simple solution. None of this "intersex" pseudo science. Y means male, no y means not male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

judeboy101 wrote: »
    It's a pretty simple solution. If you have a y chromosome you are not allowed compete in the female competition. Simple test simple solution. None of this "intersex" pseudo science. Y means male, no y means not male.

Intersex is established science.

I've had intersex heifers on my farm, not unusual.

Hoping you don't strain a testicle in the Women's weightlifting competition is a different thing altogether though.

Danzy wrote: »

Hoping you don't strain a testicle in the Women's weightlifting competition is a different thing altogether though.

:D:D

What did Gregory lift, the photo has 300 lbs approx on the deadlift bar.

I was deadlifting 7 weeks when I hit that. I could cut to 82kgs and blow that out of the water.

Intersex is established science.

I've had intersex heifers on my farm, not unusual.

It's an umbrella term for various pheno/geno types that don't fit standard xx/xy. No definitive test/definition hence the pseudo science. As the y chromosome is a gene desert and only passed from males to other males (father to son) it is the ONLY true indication of sex which is why it should be the only one that matters. The more you try to include variety the harder it is to agree. Keep it simple , Y's your only man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

We are at peak madness now.
    We should protect our women this insanity had set back women's sports 50 years, it's not a level playing field Trans athletes should have their own category.
    I'd love to know the motivation behind this pushing trans agenda

She's not trans.... She has a naturally occurring amount of high testosterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

batgoat wrote: »

I think the poster might be referring to Mary Gregory, mentioned a few posts up from theirs.

https://fitnessvolt.com/transgender-athletes-world-record/

batgoat wrote: »

If she doesn't have a y chromosome she is being badly treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

It's an umbrella term for various pheno/geno types that don't fit standard xx/xy. No definitive test/definition hence the pseudo science. As the y chromosome is a gene desert and only passed from males to other males (father to son) it is the ONLY true indication of sex which is why it should be the only one that matters. The more you try to include variety the harder it is to agree. Keep it simple , Y's your only man!

It’s not pseudoscience- it’s a thing. Or more correctly, lots of things!
    Unfortunately the IAAF have painted themselves into a bit of a corner because they already allow, and have for years, XY athletes to compete in female categories.
    Possessing a Y chromosome would seem a good disqualifier, but that would be unfair to athletes like Dutee Chand.
    Personally I think posessing a Y chromosome (or more specifically the SRY gene) AND being sensitive to testosterone would be a good start. But there’s no way that will happen without a sea change in thinking. We're tripping over ourselves not to offend a very vocal minority in the Trans community, and any suggestion that they should be excluded from female sport won’t go down well.

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Brendan Delaney

Google Hannah Mouncey and tell me with a straight face he doesn't have an advantage over the women in his sport.

Pseudo science?

There is a huge swathe of science literature proving intersex exists

Terry Pratchet

You don't do extrapolation, no? Simple consequential thinking?

That's fine. Work away.

Nah - you are trying to claim something with no proof. Work away. Just dont expect me to buy your bullshït

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

He/she broke 4 world records in one day. Whoever thinks transgender should compete in women's competitions needs to get their head examined.

https://fitnessvolt.com/transgender-athletes-world-record/

No female records were broken. The RAW Powerlifting federation released this.

Facts:
    1. The lifter identifies as female, and so entered the contest (with no
    prior consultation with the Meet Director or (100% RAW officials). Our rules,
    and the basis of separating genders for competition, are based on
    physiological classification rather than identification. On the basis of all
    information presented to the Board of Directors for this particular case, the
    conclusion made, is that the correct physiological classification is male.
    2. Since the lifter’s gender classification for the purpose of our rules is
    not consistent with female, no female records will be broken by these lifts.
    3. The lifter was uncontested during the event therefore no female lifters
    were denied a place finish. The lifter will be placed in a different category
    once the Transgender Division is introduced with a new policy.
    4. Drug testing results have not been completed and will take about
    another week to come back from the lab. As a drug test failure invalidates
    the lifts, we will need to wait for the results of the drug tests to determine if
    the lifts can be counted at all under our current set of rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Facts:
    the lifts, we will need to wait for the results of the drug tests to determine if

Don't worry. They'll be forced to change their rules to allow transgender women enter women's competitions.

The proposed transgender category is very sensible and therefore won't be allowed. It will be ruled discriminatory and gotten rid of. The transgender athlete will then fill in the correct paperwork and break all those female records at the next competition as long as they haven't failed the drugs test.

Battle Corp is right, it is a blip for the trans athlete, next meeting or the one after the records will fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Facts:

damn, thats a kick in the balls

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Brendan Delaney

silverharp wrote: »
    damn, thats a kick in the balls

Oh you!

CeCe.png

Cece Telfer, who until January 2018 was competing as their birth sex, a biological male, has won a national championship for their Franklin Pierce University women's track & field team.

https://www.fpuravens.com/sports/wtrack/2018-19/releases/052519WOTF-NCAA?fbclid=IwAR3LCE53GoKkEhe8FT0kjYADfCazW4auxuPzbj4A8D80IQkdkRzLEuD3s2s
    In just its seventh year of existence, the Franklin Pierce University women's track & field team has its first national champion. Senior CeCe Telfer (Lebanon, N.H.) took control of the 400-meter hurdles down the back stretch on Saturday night and went on to post victory by more than a second, in a personal collegiate-best time of 57.53 seconds. Telfer also added All-America First Team accolades in the 100-meter hurdles earlier in the day, on the third and final day of the NCAA Championships, hosted by Texas A&M-Kingsville, at Javelina Stadium.

Telfer is the first student-athlete in Franklin Pierce history to collect an individual national title.

Apparently it is okay that the girls were defeated because CeCe, according to Outsports, sometimes doesn't even win every race.

https://www.outsports.com/2019/3/10/18257930/ncaa-cece-telfer-trans-woman-athlete-track-field

CeCe.png

Cece Telfer, who until January 2018 was competing as their birth sex, a biological male, has won a national championship for their Franklin Pierce University women's track & field team.

https://www.fpuravens.com/sports/wtrack/2018-19/releases/052519WOTF-NCAA?fbclid=IwAR3LCE53GoKkEhe8FT0kjYADfCazW4auxuPzbj4A8D80IQkdkRzLEuD3s2s

Apparently it is okay that the girls were defeated because CeCe, according to Outsports, sometimes doesn't even win every race.

https://www.outsports.com/2019/3/10/18257930/ncaa-cece-telfer-trans-woman-athlete-track-field

CaCa Telfer is still about 13 seconds slower than the mens collegial event.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

CeCe.png

Put it this was 55y time would rank 3rd in NCAA division 1 (d2 is actually bottom ranked division below d3 due to scholarship and foreign athlete policies)

This would be good enough to rank globally

The races she is stating prove doesn’t have an advantage we’re hurdles and 200m what they don’t say is those races were run 15 min between.

Also notable that hurdles is a highly technical even and moving from different height and step pattern that would be required going from men to female (the reason why men run 110 m and women run 100m in these events) it gets less technical and more physiological in longer distance where shows more that CeCe is a bad hurdler technique wise.

Thankfully at D1 level hormone treatment is required for a year prior to competing as a rule and there are rules around this happening there (which is why the Connecticut sprinters have gone backwards since HS)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

CaCa Telfer is still about 13 seconds slower than the mens collegial event.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

CeCe Telfer and Transgender’s like HER will improve Women’s sport...They will close the gap on Men!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

silverharp wrote: »
    CeCe Telfer and Transgender’s like HER will improve Women’s sport...They will close the gap on Men!

Actually they will kill women's sport. Biologically born women will lose opportunity of scholarships and sponsorship and many women believe the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlq85dL0C4

It also will have huge ramifications on drug testing (will have to ammend Testosterone thresholds and a number of others)

• Advertisement

And?

He was a poor runner, now she is on track for Olympic success.

Advertisement