Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological males in women's sport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Legally, as in Ireland and (I think) NZ, if a trans woman is a legal woman and it’s easy to change gender then this is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Pretty sure when Hubbard was brought up on this thread before there was someone claiming they couldn't see any big difference between Hubbard and the other competitors. That's the level that people go to in order to justify this cheating.

Also, the very first comment on this pic :D
    Could you have taken a photo where his erection wasn't quite so visible?

I think they're right though

https://mobile.twitter.com/RNZISport/status/1149871129885941760

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Could women events not change their names to female events?
    instead the women's world championships could they change it to the female world championships and then it's an event based on gender, or does it not matter what word organisers use?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Could women events not change their names to female events?
    instead the women's world championships could they change it to the female world championships and then it's an event based on gender, or does it not matter what word organisers use?

I don't think it matters, the guy, sorry female with the penis being strangled by their female weightlifting outfit will still win.

Words mean exactly what they want to, for these activists and their wider base.

The difference between the left when it was working class people, muddling through life and now when Sociological studies and analysis trump experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

one aspect that gives transgender athletes( male to female) an advantage is that mens sports are generally more competitive, they will have gained more experience in their previous gender

I’m not a woman nor have I ever competed in competitive sport but this can’t be true can it? Sure a woman wants to win just as much as a man does if they’ve spent their life dedicated to a sport to become the best.

• Advertisement

I’m not a woman nor have I ever competed in competitive sport but this can’t be true can it? Sure a woman wants to win just as much as a man does if they’ve spent their life dedicated to a sport to become the best.

I agree, women are just as competitive, especially at senior level.

The advantage is in body composition.

Maybe in the mind as well in some sports in that men evolved to be better able to focus on single things, not as big an advantage as body composition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Danzy wrote: »
    I agree, women are just as competitive, especially at senior level.

The advantage is in body composition.

Maybe in the mind as well in some sports in that men evolved to be better able to focus on single things, not as big an advantage as body composition.

I agree with you there, mostly. Oh well. It won’t change now, hopefully it doesn’t become too common place.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

if women want equal pay surly they want one sex teams. There should be no women teams or women sport competition. Women should compete with men

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a bit unrelated to this topic, but the number of females who participate in sports drops off rapidly around puberty, which means that many potential top athletes never compete at all (however, those that continue would be just as dedicated towards it as the males).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tweet deleted. :( Did you get a screenshot?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Brave, beautiful, inspirational woman Laurel Hubbard won gold at the Asia Pacific Games and some of the usual brigade of alt-right trolls here have a problem with it. This forum has really become a total cesspit :mad:

943572926.jpg.0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nuyil simp

maybe off topic but might explain why the tweet was deleted?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12249163

"Kiwi transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard has lost the right to keep her name suppressed after been discharged without conviction in relation to a driving charge."

Justice Gerald Nation said:
    "Publication of Ms Hubbard's name in connection with these proceedings may head to hurtful and bullying type of comments on social media but any hardship she might suffer from that is not likely to be any different from similar hardship she may well suffer in connection with publicity as to her sporting endeavours.''

Such a depressing picture. Those poor women having to share a podium with Hubbard when they look so disheartened by it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

being a woman is so trivial and easy that men are better at it than those born to it.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Such a depressing picture. Those poor women having to share a podium with Hubbard when they look so disheartened by it

He robbed them of their chance of the Olympics.

He can go back to the family billion dollar company, they go back to Tonga and Samoa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's lucky that the Iaaf acted the way they did on the Caster Semenya case otherwise these loonies will be rocking up at the Olympics. I'm sure all of the other sports will follow suit.

The Caster Semenya issue is unfortunate as Caster was born that way and they had to resort to dealing with it.

It is going to happen sooner or later where somebody has changed sex by choice and will compete at an elite level. And if its out of places like the U.S they will have very wealthy and powerful "woke" businesses like Nike rowing in behind him.

It's all very low level now but it will have to be nipped in the bud now rather than later. This Laurel Hubbard case could be the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What in the fùck

Saw this today - a Chinese women's relay team. 2 of them look..out of place. And also, apparently words dont mean anything anymore as these clearly male people were confirmed to be "female" by athletic authorities. They also competed as individuals where unsuprisingly they took first and second place. Totally fair and not cheating at all. The next few olympics should be interesting

https://sports.inquirer.net/363714/runners-in-chinese-womens-team-accused-of-being-men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I can see how trans athletes would consider it unfair. They can't compete against men or women. And trans games have no glory as they are so small.

The pool of whom trans people can compete against is small.

And arguments against it tend to attract people who just hate trans people in general.

I am not sure what the solution is but allowing trans women to compete against cis sexed women is unfair.

I understand why both sides feel unfairly treated about this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Saw this today - a Chinese women's relay team. 2 of them look..out of place. And also, apparently words dont mean anything anymore as these clearly male people were confirmed to be "female" by athletic authorities. They also competed as individuals where unsuprisingly they took first and second place. Totally fair and not cheating at all. The next few olympics should be interesting

https://sports.inquirer.net/363714/runners-in-chinese-womens-team-accused-of-being-men
    Well in that vid, the second individual out of place C? That is a man. 100%. My arse that's a woman.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well in that vid, the second individual out of place C? That is a man. 100%. My arse that's a woman.

Yep, completely normal male appearance and speaking voice. Yet we are supposed to be believe that they are female.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yep, completely normal male appearance and speaking voice. Yet we are supposed to be believe that they are female.

Sure one of them literally has Man in their name!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

I can see how trans athletes would consider it unfair. They can't compete against men or women. And trans games have no glory as they are so small.

And arguments against it tend to attract people who just hate trans people in general.

I am not sure what the solution is but allowing trans women to compete against cis sexed women is unfair.

I understand why both sides feel unfairly treated about this.
    Yes the pool of trans competitors is small and that is unfortunate for them but in no way should that allow them to ever compete in women's sport.

I don't agree that "arguments against it tend to attract people who just hate trans people". It has nothing to do with hating trans people and everything to do with the fact that womens sex segregated sports are being used and abused by biological males who have a huge unfair physical advantages over women who can never fairly compete against them at any level.

BTW there is no such thing as "cis sexed women". There are women and trans women. Women's sex is not assigned at birth, it is a biological fact. Women do not "identify" as women, they are women. Trans women are the ones identifying.

of course the chinese are going to be all over it. why wouldn't they? take advantage of this absolute nonsense going on.
    men are shoving women out of scholarships and records left and right, join the club.

Yeah, women didn't have the chance for "glory" or to compete on a level playing field at first either but they campaigned for it and still are. Why should female athletes have to give it all up just to validate someone's feelings of identity? I mean, the pool of who I can compete against is small too, because I'm not good enough. I dont expect people who have trained hard for their whole lives to move over and let me in so that I can feel better about myself.

I bet that if males were being beaten by a disproportionate number of trans men then something would be done to stop it. Obviously in reality that is unlikely to happen because of pesky biology hence why there is no restriction on trans men competing in male categories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

bluewolf wrote: »
    of course the chinese are going to be all over it. why wouldn't they? take advantage of this absolute nonsense going on.
    men are shoving women out of scholarships and records left and right, join the club.

Yup. I never cheer for Chinese athletes in the Olympics and not because I don’t like them but because I truly worry tremendously for their wellbeing. I watched the Men’s 10m platform diving final from London 2012 on YouTube the other night. China has dominated diving for at least two decades and a Chinese athlete was expected to coast to gold. He was pipped by an American athlete and looked like he had been shot. You should have seen the difference in demeanour between him and bronze medallist Tom Daley who was completely ecstatic with third place. And Daley failed to win in front of a partisan crowd. And was still delighted.

All this to say, I worry for Chinese athletes. I worry about how they are treated and the pressures put on them and what happens if they don’t win. The Chinese government seems very ‘Win at any cost’. Look at the notorious Chinese women’s team at the 1994 World Swimming Championships. Getting tips from former East German officials, huh? And I read a thoroughly depressing article about Chinese athletes being discarded when they don’t win with little education behind them, some not even able to read. They are plucked from poor families at a young age. So it would not surprise me at all if China abused Olympics transgender rules for their own goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

So in Scottish schools not only do they want the boys to compete against girls in sport but they then want them to be able to strip off with them and hop into the mixed showers afterwards! I know it sounds ludicrous, and even laughable, but this is really scary stuff. Young children are being used by trans rights activism because they are so easy to manipulate. I hope parents object very strongly before it becomes normalised.
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/mixed-sex-loos-break-regulations-say-campaigners-as-new-guidance-suggests-teachers-could-be-sued-if-they-don-t-introduce-gender-neutral-facilities-1-4995254/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ingalway wrote: »

BTW there is no such thing as "cis sexed women". There are women and trans women. Women's sex is not assigned at birth, it is a biological fact. Women do not "identify" as women, they are women. Trans women are the ones identifying.
    100% spot on. Now I dare you to go post that on twitter :P

Advertisement