Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rangefinders

Options
  • 28-02-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at rangefinders here, and there seems to be a big variety in price. Some at the lower end, say €70 to €90, then a jump to about €170, and then the top end coming in at about €350-€400.

My question is this, is there any real difference between these value wise assuming I'm only interesting in using them for golf?

I understand they have a wider remit than for golf, e.g. hunting and the like, so there might be a bit of wastage on my part to go for a very expensive model.

Just wondering if any of you have invested in one and what your advice or experience would be, particularly with reference to if the lower priced ones did the job sufficiently well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I use a gps myself but have been toying with the idea of buying a rangefinder.

Bushnells have a new top end one that also has a gps on the side of the rangefinder it looks quality but haven't read many reviews yet

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

In my experience, the more expensive models make it easier to ensure you're getting the yardage for the intended target e.g. the pin. I have one of the higher end bushnells and it vibrates a little when I have pinged the pin for example. A friend of mine had one of the cheaper ones and without the certainty of knowing what he was measuring it was impossible for him to judge the yardage accurately. Sometimes he would be measuring to the mound beyond the pin, sometimes the pin, sometimes something else. I'd pay the extra amount myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Better Clearer, lenses and lasers in the more expensive models, The old saying,
    You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I have one from 2011 I picked up for €150 a few years back , Nikon 350G

It has no jolt,gps etc but have no problems with it. You press the button,aim at the flag and thats your yardage. Move left and right and it will give the longer yardage, take the shortest.

The only issue I would have is when trying to scan the front or back of a bunker,its not as pinpoint as I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Thanks guys.

I went for this in the end

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CTPPKEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks to have some nice features and will do what I'm looking for at a very reasonable pricepoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

looks good value. Let us know what its like. I might get one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ligerdub wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I went for this in the end

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CTPPKEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks to have some nice features and will do what I'm looking for at a very reasonable pricepoint.

Be interested to hear a review since I need a new one and don't fancy spending €300 again.

Will do. I'll give it a couple of rounds and come back with an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

any update ligerdub?

Toying with the idea of buying one of the bushnell v4 versions.

any update ligerdub?

Toying with the idea of buying one of the bushnell v4 versions.

Good thanks. I've not played as much as I'd have liked so I've held off on the review.

From what I've used of it though it's a handy piece of kit. I wear glasses and it's fairly easy to see out of even with the glasses on. It's quite responsive so easy on, click to read and then you're away. I wouldn't have the steadiest hand so that seems to be important for the read, I've not had any problems though.

The only thing I had an issue with was if there's a tree or low hanging branch or a reed from the water within the field of vision (in the foreground) it would be drawn to that. The very first time I used it I was on a flat par 4 where I could see the flag in the distance, the yardage on the sighter only read something like 180 yards but that was because of a tree intruding slightly on my view which didn't seem that obvious. Aside from that it's a straight-forward aim and measure and it's on the money. Put it this way, if you get a weird yardage you'll know it's because it was something other than the flag being measured. I usually take a couple of readings for consistency, which doesn't take long at all, and then I know.

I'm very happy with the purchase though, it's accurate, easy to use, is quick, and at a good price. I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I have used a Bushnell V2 rangefinder for years and find it does the job well and is reliable and accurate. It shows distance to the target in mtrs or yds and has pin seeking technology that makes it easier to lock in on a flag and thats all I want. I see the V2 advertised on adverts.ie from time to time and recently picked one up for a friend for €100 in perfect working order.

Advertisement