Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FLAMIMG ?

• 28-02-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

so I just popped onto the weather forum on boards and there was a mod warning no trolling, no flaming .what the hell is flaming ? is there a new online abuse I don't know about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:.
    Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between persons over the Internet, often involving the use of profanity. It can also be the swapping of insults back and forth or with many people teaming up on a single victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Flaming is when you try and melt the snow which ruins a snow thread.

It just means insulting and winding up others. Old term but it's kinda fallen out of use I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's the fad sweeping the nation. Are you kids flaming?
    I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You only get flaming in places like Dublin where everyone is on heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

It’s flei Ming. No flei Ming means the curry shop is not delivering due to the snow. Hence it being in the weather forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Flamin hot cheetos yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

"Many people teaming up on a single victim"

Sounds like the politics forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Flaming is when Snowflakes get upset when posting about snow in the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

That's not new. It's been around for a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

prinzeugen wrote: »
    "Many people teaming up on a single victim"
    Sounds like the politics forum.
    Or some threads in this forum either...
    I always thought it meant 'trolling'.

Flame trolling is the posting of a provocative or offensive message, known as "flamebait", to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

so I just popped onto the weather forum on boards and there was a mod warning no trolling, no flaming .what the hell is flaming ? is there a new online abuse I don't know about

It’s another form of being fabulous. Don’t be too fabulous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Or some threads in this forum either...
    I always thought it meant 'trolling'.

Flame trolling is the posting of a provocative or offensive message, known as "flamebait", to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame").

It's like a subset of trolling, when you really want to get a response and make a big argument, without being too obvious, a lot of flaming opinions are genuinely held.

E.g. you have a Conor McGregor thread, a troll might say 'MMA is for q****s', while a flamer would say 'MMA is barbaric and should be banned', leading to a big discussion that sucks in more users and annoyance for everyone if it's in AH, or a ban if it's in the MMA forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Seems to be a lot of mod activity in the weather forum...who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Flah Ming: in Cork slang means to give Ming a good one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems to be a lot of mod activity in the weather forum...who'd have thunk it?
    The amount of people coming into other forums starting "so I was over in the weather forum" lately is unreal. I thought it'd be one of the quieter forums on this site.

biko wrote: »
    The amount of people coming into other forums starting "so I was over in the weather forum" lately is unreal. I thought it'd be one of the quieter forums on this site.

I think at the time of Ophelia there were some many people there it was close to breaking the site

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It broke the site for a while around this time last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

biko wrote: »

I used partake in a previous existence, normally only during thunder and lightning instances... but I don't remember it being so bad...maybe a hooha about that NZ lad some time ago.. but it seems to be a bit feisty these times

It's like a subset of trolling, when you really want to get a response and make a big argument, without being too obvious, a lot of flaming opinions are genuinely held.

E.g. you have a Conor McGregor thread, a troll might say 'MMA is for q****s', while a flamer would say 'MMA is barbaric and should be banned', leading to a big discussion that sucks in more users and annoyance for everyone if it's in AH, or a ban if it's in the MMA forum

So are you saying that people with different opinions to you are flaming, and should be silenced because it might upset someone?

Are you saying posts/posters that the mods or the majority of posters on a forum don't like should be bullied/banned or both for trolling/flaming?

Just for having a different opinion?

This folks is why boards is dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Oldtree wrote: »
    Flah Ming: in Cork slang means to give Ming a good one :)

A good fla in Cork is a good ride in Dublin. Corkonians use the term flaming as a measure of intoxication.
    'you were flaming last night boy I dunno how you found your way home'
    "I sure was finbar, absolutely langers. I woke up with a big bag of grub from hillbillys beside me and not even a chip ate'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

learn something new everyday

So are you saying that people with different opinions to you are flaming, and should be silenced because it might upset someone?

Are you saying posts/posters that the mods or the majority of posters on a forum don't like should be bullied/banned or both for trolling/flaming?

Just for having a different opinion?

This folks is why boards is dying.

No that's not what I am saying at all, did you miss this part?
    It's like a subset of trolling, when you really want to get a response and make a big argument

edit:and to clarify the other part if that's what you dont get
    a lot of flaming opinions are genuinely held by others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

'Rack off ya flaming galah'

Alf Stewart.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

a lot of flaming opinions are genuinely held by others

Genuine question, how do you discern between the genuine and the flamebaiters?
    Take the current spate of transphobic threads and I understand it's a seasonal thing and that next week it could be dole bashing threads, but when there are several threads being started to provoke at what point do mods decide to take action. I only ask because I know how much some people are affected by them, including one suicide victim, which I figure would make it something that people should be more aware of when initiating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

No idea what Flamimg means tbh. Maybe setting an image on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Alf Stuart still going strong 30 years later... he's doing well

• Advertisement

No that's not what I am saying at all, did you miss this part?

edit:and to clarify the other part if that's what you dont get

Oh I get everything you said. The last paragraph said it all.

Oh I get everything you said. The last paragraph said it all.

Let me ask you a question.. do you think people coming into the mma forum claiming they dislike mma, it's barbaric and that it should be banned encourages fans of mma to come there ir stay away?

Of for the hunting forum that new people coming in saying it should be banned encourages regulars to stay?

koumi wrote: »
    Genuine question, how do you discern between the genuine and the flamebaiters?
    Take the current spate of transphobic threads and I understand it's a seasonal thing and that next week it could be dole bashing threads, but when there are several threads being started to provoke at what point do mods decide to take action. I only ask because I know how much some people are affected by them, including one suicide victim, which I figure would make it something that people should be more aware of when initiating them.
    I don't mod here so I can't comment on how they mod it. AH is completely different to everywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Flaming golahs.

Let me ask you a question.. do you think people coming into the mma forum claiming they dislike mma, it's barbaric and that it should be banned encourages fans of mma to come there ir stay away?

Of for the hunting forum that new people coming in saying it should be banned encourages regulars to stay?

Calm down!

I was not singling you out. I was talking about (some) Mod attitudes in general.

No need to go ape or burst a blood vessel.

If people think MMA/Hunting/mustard or another forum are wrong then they should have a voice.

But to ban someone because they said something you don't like or disagree with is censorship.

You, as a mod have just admitted you do it.

Calm down!

I was not singling you out. I was talking about (some) Mod attitudes in general.

No need to go ape or burst a blood vessel.

If people think MMA/Hunting/mustard or another forum are wrong then they should have a voice.

But to ban someone because they said something you don't like or disagree with is censorship.

You, as a mod have just admitted you do it.
    Well you said this is why you think people Boards is dying.. which is clearly nonsense, the complete opposite.

People have a voice, AH. You can post freely about your dislike of cycling/hunting/mma/vegetarianism here with unnecessarily annoying people who do like it and want to talk about it without being flamed all the time.

And I think you'll find I definitely don't do it, the forum I mod and the threads I post couldn't be further apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Calm down!

If people think the mustard forum is wrong then they should have a voice..
    The mustard forum is wrong? I've got some news for buddy, YOUR WRONG!
    Pick on somebody your own size. What kind of man doesn't eat mustard? Bearded fukkin nancy boys thats who.
    Strewth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think some one is flaming this flaming thread tbh ;) ...

Advertisement