Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL rates from US to Ireland

Options
  • 28-02-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I got a package delivered by DHL today.

The package was a small envelope 23cm x 15cm x 1cm and weighed 90g. Declared value $1, no customs due. Coming from Houston, TX 77008.

Shipping cost for me - $24.95 for this tiny package.

I tried to look up what this would actually cost on the DHL site, but the shipping calculator wouldn't work for me. The order was placed 14 Feb so it wasn't an Express Delivery or anything like that.

Anyone know how to check DHL rates?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

leck wrote: »
    I got a package delivered by DHL today.

The package was a small envelope 23cm x 15cm x 1cm and weighed 90g. Declared value $1, no customs due. Coming from Houston, TX 77008.

Shipping cost for me - $24.95 for this tiny package.

I tried to look up what this would actually cost on the DHL site, but the shipping calculator wouldn't work for me. The order was placed 14 Feb so it wasn't an Express Delivery or anything like that.

Anyone know how to check DHL rates?

That sounds about right.

Also note that any customs charges it's calculated on the shipping charges and value of item, if declared Value is only $1 they might open it to check the item and calculate real value of it, if customs is due also they charge an extra fee of about €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Depends on your volume.

If you went into a post office with a 15kg box for priority delivery anywhere in Ireland, you'll be charged about €25.

Due to volumes I send, I am charged €4 - and they collect it.

Same with DHL - a standard 5-7 day small package will cost you about $30-$40 to send from USA, but when you get to volume that could well be under $10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

nava wrote: »
    That sounds about right.

Also note that any customs charges it's calculated on the shipping charges and value of item, if declared Value is only $1 they might open it to check the item and calculate real value of it, if customs is due also they charge an extra fee of about €15.
    Contents were two plastic tubes w tiny amt preservative and two swabs. No real commercial value. They are DNA kits.
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    Depends on your volume.

If you went into a post office with a 15kg box for priority delivery anywhere in Ireland, you'll be charged about €25.

Due to volumes I send, I am charged €4 - and they collect it.

Same with DHL - a standard 5-7 day small package will cost you about $30-$40 to send from USA, but when you get to volume that could well be under $10
    I understand that. And they would have a huge volume. These were DNA kits from FTDNA. To add insult to injury the postage doesn't even cover return postage to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

leck wrote: »
    Contents were two plastic tubes w tiny amt preservative and two swabs. No real commercial value. They are DNA kits.

I understand that. And they would have a huge volume. These were DNA kits from FTDNA. To add insult to injury the postage doesn't even cover return postage to them.

Value of the product doesn’t mean anything to a courier unless they are clearing customs for it. Other than that, it doesn’t matter what they ship. It would have to have been picked up in a van, brought back to a depot, either flown or trucked back to their base, put on a plane, handled in Dublin l and put on a delivery truck. Hard to see how they can do that for $24......

Can they ship via USPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

whiterebel wrote: »
    Value of the product doesn’t mean anything to a courier unless they are clearing customs for it. Other than that, it doesn’t matter what they ship. It would have to have been picked up in a van, brought back to a depot, either flown or trucked back to their base, put on a plane, handled in Dublin l and put on a delivery truck. Hard to see how they can do that for $24......

Can they ship via USPS?
    They don't give customer a choice of carrier. USPS would have been $14 for a First Class Package. I don't understand why they don't ship from Ireland or the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement