Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP camera security

• 28-02-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi, I have indoor IP cameras, pointing out the front and back garden. I have a VM 3 hub.

I want to make sure they are secure and not easily accessed by someone. How would I ensure this.

Can I block traffic to the cameras IP address? If so how?

Would someone need to know the cameras IP address to access the camera?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Are they wired or wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

degsie wrote: »
    Are they wired or wireless?

Wireless

Make sure you have changed the default username/password on the cameras. Also ensure you are using WPA2-PSK security.

To answer your question, a determined hacker CAN hack into your camera, but you need to make it as difficult as possible.

degsie wrote: »
    Make sure you have changed the default username/password on the cameras. Also ensure you are using WPA2-PSK security.

To answer your question, a determined hacker CAN hack into your camera, but you need to make it as difficult as possible.

Yes have done the above. Can i use Mac filtering or IP filtering to help too?

Sure, depends on how far you want to take it. Hiding your ssid and using fixed ip addresses may also help.

• Advertisement

What will filtering the Mac address or IP address actually do? And do you think it's worth doing?

wizardman wrote: »
    What will filtering the Mac address or IP address actually do? And do you think it's worth doing?

Eh, maybe don't bother.....
    https://www.howtogeek.com/204458/why-you-shouldn%E2%80%99t-use-mac-address-filtering-on-your-wi-fi-router/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hi, I have indoor IP cameras, pointing out the front and back garden. I have a VM 3 hub.

I want to make sure they are secure and not easily accessed by someone. How would I ensure this.

Can I block traffic to the cameras IP address? If so how?

Would someone need to know the cameras IP address to access the camera?

Thanks

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to limit access to internal or external users? Is it remotely accessible?

Some VM routers have a guest feature that is firewalled from the main LAN. You could put it in that.

Mr. G wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to limit access to internal or external users? Is it remotely accessible?

Some VM routers have a guest feature that is firewalled from the main LAN. You could put it in that.

I can access the camera from an app while away. I want to make sure the camera are not easily accessed by someone. On the VM router I have an IP filtering and Mac filtering options can these be used to achieve more security.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I can access the camera from an app while away. I want to make sure the camera are not easily accessed by someone. On the VM router I have an IP filtering and Mac filtering options can these be used to achieve more security.

Is the app P2P? The short answer is no with your VM modem

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    Is the app P2P? The short answer is no with your VM modem

It's the app for the camera brand. Guudgo is name of the camera. Got it on banggood actually.

Advertisement