Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written examiner for JC/LC

Options
  • 28-02-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wanted to ask, do you have to be fully graduated to mark JC/LC state examinations?
    I'm in my third year of a science undergrad course in a Dublin University and I've heard of college students marking these exams in the summer, attending conferences etc.
    The subjects I have experience in are Religion(JC), French (JC+LC), Biology (LC), Science (JC), CSPE (JC), Chemistry (LC), Economics (LC), Home Ec(JC). Got As in these in JC and LC and I also give grinds in these. Would I be eligible to mark these papers? I've been told by many that SEC are desperate for written examiners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-RE-30036971.pdf

You need a Teaching Council Number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

drdavies wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask, do you have to be fully graduated to mark JC/LC state examinations?
    I'm in my third year of a science undergrad course in a Dublin University and I've heard of college students marking these exams in the summer, attending conferences etc.
    The subjects I have experience in are Religion(JC), French (JC+LC), Biology (LC), Science (JC), CSPE (JC), Chemistry (LC), Economics (LC), Home Ec(JC). Got As in these in JC and LC and I also give grinds in these. Would I be eligible to mark these papers? I've been told by many that SEC are desperate for written examiners.

Without wishing to appear too curt in replying, if anyone who had even taken a subject to Junior Cert level could mark state examinations there would be nobody saying (whether it's true or not) that the SEC was desperate for written examiners. They'd be inundated. There must be a bit more to it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not that desperate. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cestmoi2

Apologies for commenting here but when are we informed if we'll be correcting this year? Applied in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I've been told by many that SEC are desperate for written examiners.
    That’s because the examiners have to be qualified.
    I believe that if you had a degree in a suitable discipline, you might be qualified. I don’t think that you necessarily have to be qualified as a teacher. I know they sometimes accept people doing the PME.

As things stand though, you’re not qualified in anything (that you’ve disclosed) so no, you cannot mark exams for the SEC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cestmoi2 wrote: »
    Apologies for commenting here but when are we informed if we'll be correcting this year? Applied in Jan.

Last year I got the letter just before St. Patrick's Day, but I had corrected before and it probably varies for subject and exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

With all due respect, as a teacher and as someone who has marked papers for the sec for 9 years, I'd be seriously annoyed at someone who has no qualifications yet marking my students' papers. If anyone with a jc could mark they'd have no problem with recruitment. Whomever told you college students mark these is mistaken. The mocks maybe but not state exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

That's last year's form.

This year's is one is here: https://www.examinations.ie/recruitment/

And here's their policy on appointment. https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=re&sc=poa. If you look at the "Qualifications" bit, it seems to me that if they are sufficiently desperate, they will take you if you haven't finished your teaching qualification but only if you have the subject qualification. So in your case, that seems like a 'no'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

More should be made of the fact that people who will be correcting papers aren't actual teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

More should be made of the fact that people who will be correcting papers aren't actual teachers.

Indeed. I know if I had a child sitting the LC and their paper was corrected by someone who wasn't a fully qualified teacher in that subject, I would be fuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I've said it before, it will soon be written into our contracts that we will have to supervise and examine during the summer.

I think it's terrible that people (even those finishing education courses) are hired to correct for the SEC. It will soon be like the mock companies who employ anyone to correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Do they hire just anyone to correct mocks though? I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

SEC hire PME students. They also hire people with just subject degrees. Especially in Irish.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Do they hire just anyone to correct mocks though? I find that hard to believe.

Not sure but with the quality of marking is not always good. The correctors could also be qualified but lack correcting experience.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    SEC hire PME students. They also hire people with just subject degrees. Especially in Irish.

They still have to be trained and supervised by the SEC like the qualified teachers though so at least that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Received a text from SEC this week as I didn’t return the form. Appears they are really struggling this year to recruit some Super Nintendo Chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

Anyone hear back yet? I believe they go by subject. Have corrected Irish before and Music through Irish also - not sure which I'd prefer - Hope they don't give me CSPE/OSSP ...

Would rather find out soon so I could make plans.

BonCourage wrote: »
    Anyone hear back yet? I believe they go by subject. Have corrected Irish before and Music through Irish also - not sure which I'd prefer - Hope they don't give me CSPE/OSSP ...

Would rather find out soon so I could make plans.

What did you apply for? The SEC are sorting out superintendents at the moment so they will probably do examiners later. Also I presume this is your first year examining in a while because acceptance forms for correcting were submitted before Christmas so it could be possible there may not be vacancies in your subjects. When I started examining, I was only appointed a week before conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

What did you apply for? The SEC are sorting out superintendents at the moment so they will probably do examiners later. Also I presume this is your first year examining in a while because acceptance forms for correcting were submitted before Christmas so it could be possible there may not be vacancies in your subjects. When I started examining, I was only appointed a week before conference.

Yes, gave it a miss last year as I was away! Applied for JC and LC Music and Irish.

BonCourage wrote: »
    Yes, gave it a miss last year as I was away! Applied for JC and LC Music and Irish.

Well you won't get CSPE so. I can't see you getting LC either. You have to have JC experience first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Well you won't get CSPE so. I can't see you getting LC either. You have to have JC experience first.

Unfortunately they are so stuck this isn't the case anymore. At best sometimes even one year experience at JC is being accepted to move straight to HL LC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Things are definitely a bit slower this year. Just checked my notes and I had heard by the third week in March the last couple of years.
    As always with the SEC, it will all work out OK in the end.

They are definitely stuck. I've been correcting for years and had to work my way up to LC HL. A colleague of mine didn't even apply and they offered him LC HL and he has never corrected before. He was as shocked as anyone to receive the letter!

Did his principal pass on his name and address then ? Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They are definitely stuck. I've been correcting for years and had to work my way up to LC HL. A colleague of mine didn't even apply and they offered him LC HL and he has never corrected before. He was as shocked as anyone to receive the letter!

That's extremely odd. How would they have his details?

I also know people who were correcting HL LC in their first year (but they had applied).

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

That's extremely odd. How would they have his details?

I'm assuming 'old breed' means his colleague didn't apply for LC HL. Most of us do it the proper way starting off at JC and moving our way up. They should be contacting ppl who've corrected OL LC and asking them to consider HL.

But the poster said his friend had never corrected before?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    But the poster said his friend had never corrected before?

No he hasn't corrected before, he definitely didn't apply. I think the principal gave some names to SEC. He has done superintending before, maybe they have his details from then too....

That could be it. We put down our qualifications on our superintending app form too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

At my HL LC conference last year there were two (that I met) examiners who were correcting for the first time.

Advertisement