Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written examiner for JC/LC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Is that for all subjects?

According to the letter but I was at an in service and was talking to a Spanish teacher who was on about online marking. So who's telling lies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

According to the letter but I was at an in service and was talking to a Spanish teacher who was on about online marking. So who's telling lies?

Maybe they haven't been notified yet!

Could be. It's late in the day to be informing examiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

What exactly is this extra paperwork you speak of? I've just accepted a position to correct JC OL Spanish and I said I would be willing to correct through Irish (I looked through the sample papers and it seemed very manageable - I went to a Gaelscoil and got an A2 in HL Irish for the Leaving not all that long ago). However, now I'm regretting not looking into it further.
    My apologies Muireann, I assume that this was directed at me but I haven’t checked the thread lately.
    The extra paperwork is stuff like counting how many scripts you get as Gaeilge and in English (it’s very unlikely that it will be all as Gaeilge in my experience) and then there are extra sheets, like sort of informal marking sheets, where you have to record the extra marks awarded for Irish, the overall mark with and without the bónas etc.
    It’s not a huge amount of extra work but it’s still a bit of a pain. Most of that is done at the end of the process too so you’d not under as much pressure for time at that point (since the time pressure comes from getting scripts marked on time for the most part, not the paperwork that comes with it, in my experience anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MuireannNiSh

I'll be correcting JC OL Spanish and I was notified last week that it'd be manual. My friend will be correcting JC HL German and it's the same story there. :getlost:

• Advertisement

RealJohn wrote: »
    What exactly is this extra paperwork you speak of? I've just accepted a position to correct JC OL Spanish and I said I would be willing to correct through Irish (I looked through the sample papers and it seemed very manageable - I went to a Gaelscoil and got an A2 in HL Irish for the Leaving not all that long ago). However, now I'm regretting not looking into it further.
    My apologies Muireann, I assume that this was directed at me but I haven’t checked the thread lately.
    The extra paperwork is stuff like counting how many scripts you get as Gaeilge and in English (it’s very unlikely that it will be all as Gaeilge in my experience) and then there are extra sheets, like sort of informal marking sheets, where you have to record the extra marks awarded for Irish, the overall mark with and without the bónas etc.
    It’s not a huge amount of extra work but it’s still a bit of a pain. Most of that is done at the end of the process too so you’d not under as much pressure for time at that point (since the time pressure comes from getting scripts marked on time for the most part, not the paperwork that comes with it, in my experience anyway).
    Great, thanks for clearing that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The main conference will be at least a week after the exam. From what I remember examiners in English (LC) get Paper 1 and Paper 2, so that's the first two days of the LC. Main conference will be at least a week after Paper 2, if not 10 days, so if you only have 5-6 days of LCA, you'll probably be ok.

If you want to do it, apply for it. Conferences are held in Athlone, depends on the subject, some are in hotels, Athlone IT, depending on the size of the conference. Core subjects are going to have a lot of examiners, minority subjects s lot less, so a room in the IT is sufficient.

You will get mileage for going to the conference and if you are more than 100km then you will get an overnight as well for day 2 of the conference.

You'll only have to go to Athlone for the conference and collection of papers. You won't be bringing them back to Athlone, they go back through the post office.

Thanks, RT; this post answered many of the questions I had that brought me here in the first place. My conference will be in the IT on a Monday & Tuesday in June and it's more than 100km from home. Do I pay for and book a room in a local hotel myself now or is there some official arrangement? (There was nothing in the examiner's letter about this) Second, how would I find out how many papers I'll have to correct; is there a set number for people correcting LCHL for the first time? Third, not sure if you meant 'from Athlone' in your last sentence, but when and where do we collect/receive the scripts for correction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Right you have to book and pay for your own hotel/ B and B stay. You are given an allowance for that in your final pay. Don't forget to ask the hotel to give you the SEC's examiner rate as well. They are used to being asked but won't tell you about it until you ask. Get on to this asap. They book up fast during conference time.

You won't find out the number of scripts you get until you literally take them home and count them. They have an idea from the superintendents advice list but there might be the odd discrepancy.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Right you have to book and pay for your own hotel/ B and B stay. You are given an allowance for that in your final pay. Don't forget to ask the hotel to give you the SEC's examiner rate as well. They are used to being asked but won't tell you about it until you ask. Get on to this asap. They book up fast during conference time.

You won't find out the number of scripts you get until you literally take them home and count them. They have an idea from the superintendents advice list but there might be the odd discrepancy.

After your conference in the IT you will head over the state examinations commission to collect your papers. There will be a map in your examiner handbook when you get it.

Apologies for piggybacking, but my marking conference is on the 9th and 10th of July, starting each day at 09:30. However, I live almost 200km from the venue so surely they'd have to give me two overnight allowances? One for the night of the 8th and one for the night of the 9th?

• Advertisement

Call them or email examiners@examinations.ie to query. It does sound like you should get it. My two day conference starts at 11.30 on first day to give us time to travel up on the day and 9.30 on the second day. Or financial@examinations.ie might be better.

According the lilac sheet enclosed in the letter of appointment "in exceptional circumstances a night allowance will be payable in respect of the night before where the start time and the distance travelled to the venue(100km or more) make it unreasonable to expect you to travel on the morning of the conference. As a general indicator the commission considers a requirement to commence your journey from 7.30 am onwards as reasonable". What time would you have to leave at to make it for 9.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Apologies for piggybacking, but my marking conference is on the 9th and 10th of July, starting each day at 09:30. However, I live almost 200km from the venue so surely they'd have to give me two overnight allowances? One for the night of the 8th and one for the night of the 9th?
    I believe the rule is that if you can leave your house at a certain time (I can’t remember if it’s 6:30, 7 or 7:30) and be at the conference on time, you’re not entitled to an overnight allowance the night before. I’m fairly sure it’s 7:30 but don’t take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Really annoyed by the letter I got saying there would be no online marking. I've marked the exams for a few years now and my subject is usually a one day conference.

This is the first year my conference was due to be two days. So I made plans, booked a nonrefundable night in hotel nearby, and friends of mine did the same. Now with no online marking, we have no idea if our conference is one day or two, and if its only one day we have no idea what day it is on. I'm going to call tomorrow but why do I have to? Why wasn't this information sent out?

Really unprofessional and considering dropping out. If the procurement process wasn't going to be finished why did they send out the confirmation letters? I would have preferred a letter saying conference dates hadn't been finalised.

Call them or email examiners@examinations.ie to query. It does sound like you should get it. My two day conference starts at 11.30 on first day to give us time to travel up on the day and 9.30 on the second day. Or financial@examinations.ie might be better.

According the lilac sheet enclosed in the letter of appointment "in exceptional circumstances a night allowance will be payable in respect of the night before where the start time and the distance travelled to the venue(100km or more) make it unreasonable to expect you to travel on the morning of the conference. As a general indicator the commission considers a requirement to commence your journey from 7.30 am onwards as reasonable".  What time would you have to leave at to make it for 9.30?
    Well, since I'd have to use public transport I'd probably have to leave at 04.30 or so to get there in time (there aren't any direct routes to Athlone so I'd have to get up to Dublin and catch a connecting bus), which is ridiculous. Even if I were to travel up in a car I'd have to leave at 06.30.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Really annoyed by the letter I got saying there would be no online marking. I've marked the exams for a few years now and my subject is usually a one day conference.

This is the first year my conference was due to be two days. So I made plans, booked a nonrefundable night in hotel nearby, and friends of mine did the same. Now with no online marking, we have no idea if our conference is one day or two, and if its only one day we have no idea what day it is on. I'm going to call tomorrow but why do I have to? Why wasn't this information sent out?

Really unprofessional and considering dropping out. If the procurement process wasn't going to be finished why did they send out the confirmation letters? I would have preferred a letter saying conference dates hadn't been finalised.

You're not the only one. Whoever writes those letters don't have a great grasp of the English language. The letter introducing the online marking was equally as bad.

I can't believe they only realised that they couldn't get scanning companies. I'm sure they could be sent to England where online marking is the norm.

I've corrected online for the past two years and can't imagine going back to paper marking and all it entails. I'm also considering giving it a miss this year but would like to know what the SEC will do if they all or majority of markers/examiners pull out? Interesting times ahead.

Well, since I'd have to use public transport I'd probably have to leave at 04.30 or so to get there in time (there aren't any direct routes to Athlone so I'd have to get up to Dublin and catch a connecting bus), which is ridiculous. Even if I were to travel up in a car I'd have to leave at 06.30.

I don't think it's possible to use public transport with the weight of the scripts - do you know anyone examining the same subject who you can car share with?

I don't think it's possible to use public transport with the weight of the scripts - do you know anyone examining the same subject who you can car share with?
    I've enlisted somebody to give me a lift down from Athlone for that very reason, but I'll be making my own way up.

I think it's fair enough to expect muireann to get a second night but again confirm it with them. I would be concerned with you lugging those scripts bags back on public transport. Could you get lift back at least ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've done the schlepp by public transport. I wouldn't recommend it. The train and taxi was bad enough, I can only imagine having to make a transfer anywhere.

That said, if anyone wants a lift back from Athlone to Dublin after collection on Friday June 29th, PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I seem to remember something about them changing the start time to 9:30 so they could justify not giving the overnight (I think for people less than 2hrs away).

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your help/advice! I got word back from the SEC today and they said that yes, I am entitled to two overnights.

Also, for those of you wondering whether the marking conferences will be reduced to one day due to the return to manual marking, apparently not. They'll still be two days. At least for Spanish and I assume other foreign languages.

Glad to hear it muireann! They are quite reasonable in the SEC:)

Glad to hear it muireann! They are quite reasonable in the SEC:)

They have no choice - they have to hold onto all the examiners they have!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Called the SEC this week. My conference is still going to be over 2days, despite not going ahead with online marking. They are literally throwing money away this year...

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Called the SEC this week. My conference is still going to be over 2days, despite not going ahead with online marking. They are literally throwing money away this year...

I'd prefer if they would buy a few scanning machines for online marking :)

I suppose the two day conference is a 'good will' gesture to keep as many examiners as possible.

Yeah it would have resulted in a mass exodus of examiners especially if they couldn't get a cancellation sorted with accomadation etc. The SEC themselves also budgeted for a two day conference and a 2 day conference it will have to be. Poor form with the procurement company they were using, I suppose they weren't paying them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OlanHarrington

Hi All, this thread is a lifesaver! So many questions answered for me!

Think I am more or less all set, but I'm new to being an examiner for state exams and am wondering 1) when they take our pay details, and 2) how we claim for travel expenses? (I'm coming from Cork so well over 100km).

Also, if it's two days of a conference, is the night in the hotel extra to the conference pay or does it come out of that in the end when the pay comes in? (it looks like thats Sept/Oct from previous replies).

I think you can ask for the pay details form now. Contact financial@examinations.ie

You claim the travels expenses on your final form of account( you'll get one at conference). Keep a record of your travel ( time and km ) from and to the conference. Also details of your distance traveled for post office trips. You'll get postage labels for the scripts but you'll need to send stuff separate from the scripts so buy booklet of stamps and keep your receipt to enclose with your final account. Same for red pens/ notebook.

The overnight allowance is separate to your conference fee. You pay for the hotel yourself now and get it back in the final payment. The fee you get for that should be enclosed in your offer letter( usually a brightly coloured sheet). Conference fee is for your attendance at conference( all that hard work)!

It will be September/ October. Work on your form of account during the marking process and be ready to post it the same date at you send your bags off. The sooner it's in , the faster you get paid. I keep a page at the back of my note book to keep record of phone calls/texts/ expenses to it's easier at the end.

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/EN-CS-97686128.pdf

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-CO-88413763.pdf

The second link is the form you can fill in now. Sorry I can't hyperlink it on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sunnydayyy

Are they still accepting applications for correcting?

I'd love to just do two weeks of it in July rathe than the four, anyone know if that's possible or heard of anyone doing that? I'm in a demand subject but away from 15th July

• Advertisement

No it's 26 days from conference not possible to do it in two weeks.

Advertisement