Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written examiner for JC/LC

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sunnydayyy wrote: »
    Are they still accepting applications for correcting?

I'd love to just do two weeks of it in July rathe than the four, anyone know if that's possible or heard of anyone doing that? I'm in a demand subject but away from 15th July

Yes they are still accepting applications. If you are doing it - you're signing up for 26 days from the date of your conference. You have to work the SEC schedule - they're not there to suit yours. I'd love to be a fly on the wall between an examiner and an advising examiner 'Sorry, I'm away from the 15th, can't we just get it done in two weeks?' The above is as bizarre as the OP and I'm assuming doesn't understand how correcting works. If it were possible to be finished in two weeks - why do the SEC prolong it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

In fairness , the advising examiner will ask you to nominate a day or two if you've a wedding /event where you might be unavailable but you would need to be working ahead of schedule to get even that. Two weeks would definitely be a no no. I think the OP doesn't know the amount of work that's really involved in examining, it's a lot more than just corrections. Maybe try for it next year OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OlanHarrington

That's really helpful, thank you! @Postgrad10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Just to add, there is a very good reason that they won’t be able to allow you to mark for just two weeks: there’s always the possibility that there will need to be large changes to the marking scheme, late on in the marking. It doesn’t happen that often but it does happen and if it did, you’d need to remark all of your papers in accordance with the updated scheme. You can’t do that if you’re away from the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

RealJohn wrote: »
    Just to add, there is a very good reason that they won’t be able to allow you to mark for just two weeks: there’s always the possibility that there will need to be large changes to the marking scheme, late on in the marking. It doesn’t happen that often but it does happen and if it did, you’d need to remark all of your papers in accordance with the updated scheme. You can’t do that if you’re away from the 15th.

Do they pay you extra if you have to go back and mark them again because they've changed the system?

• Advertisement

For the record, the following was sent from the SEC to all schools two days ago. Very late in the year, it seems. Curiously, most of the shortages below are for the JC exam. It sounds desperate, as if the entire independent marking system by a separate organisation is going through an existential crisis from this struggle to attract markers:
    From: stateexamscommission@phonovation.com <stateexamscommission@phonovation.com>
    Sent: Tuesday 29 May 2018 15:43
    Subject: Recruitment of Written examiners for the 2018 exam

Dear Principal,
    The involvement of teachers in marking the work of students in our externally assessed examinations system is vital.
    The State Examinations Commission would greatly appreciate your assistance in its ongoing campaign to recruit teachers as examiners to mark the 2018 Leaving and Junior certificate examinations.
    We currently have vacancies in respect of the following;
    a) Marking Junior Certificate written examinations in CSPE, German, Home Economics and Religious Education
    b) Marking Leaving Certificate German
    c) Filling vacancies as they arise in Junior Certificate Geography, Business, French, Irish and English

We are now calling on teachers, including recently qualified teachers and retired teachers, to apply. Applications from teachers competent to mark subjects through the medium of Irish are especially welcome.
    It would be of great assistance to the examinations system if could encourage the teachers in your school to apply for these positions by notifying them of our extended recruitment campaign. Full details about the role and how to apply are available here https://www.examinations.ie/recruitment/
    Your active support for this appeal would be very much appreciated.

Extended Recruitment of Written Examiners – May 2018

Was it this difficult to recruit examiners at any other period? The 80s? 90s? If not, what's changing?

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Do they pay you extra if you have to go back and mark them again because they've changed the system?
    Some remarking is part of the job but if there are a lot of changes or if it happens late on so that there are a lot of papers to remark, you can get paid extra for that. You’d be told if you’re getting paid extra for it because you have to include that in the form of account.

Was it this difficult to recruit examiners at any other period? The 80s? 90s? If not, what's changing?
    People don’t need the money as badly?
    The perception that it’s badly paid (which isn’t really true, in fairness - it’s just not well paid)?
    Just to give the powers that be a bloody nose since they can’t force this on people (for now)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I never got paid any extra when it happened in my subject. We didn't get any extra time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

:pac:
    Some remarking is part of the job but if there are a lot of changes or if it happens late on so that there are a lot of papers to remark, you can get paid extra for that. You’d be told if you’re getting paid extra for it because you have to include that in the form of account.

Yes as spurious says, I have never received payment for re-marking. I think it's stated in the handbook that it is part of your job. I'll check in a few weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I got paid once I think. Can't remember were we told to put a prorata figure - say 5 for every 50 or something or was it a remarking of the entire random sample before we could proceed - significantly above & beyond the norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

For the record, the following was sent from the SEC to all schools two days ago. Very late in the year, it seems. Curiously, most of the shortages below are for the JC exam. It sounds desperate, as if the entire independent marking system by a separate organisation is going through an existential crisis from this struggle to attract markers:

At this stage home ec. New teachers are like hens teeth. Further pressures with jam packed timetables and S&S means you might want the holidays more. I'd say German teachers might also be in demand ... not so much for German but the old language combo would mean they've been thrown around a bit this year to plug the gaps.

So time to put on the green jerseys again teachers , then tune in to the media as they sing our praises.:pac:

Shur can't they get people off the dole to do it Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

its for stats too and consistency.
    e.g 30 teachers correcting 10 papers isn't as consistent or economic as 1 doing 300.

At this stage home ec. New teachers are like hens teeth. Further pressures with jam packed timetables and S&S means you might want the holidays more. I'd say German teachers might also be in demand ... not so much for German but the old language combo would mean they've been thrown around a bit this year to plug the gaps.

So time to put on the green jerseys again teachers , then tune in to the media as they sing our praises.:pac:

Shur can't they get people off the dole to do it Joe.

hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GemmaLouise

Hi. Quick question. What dates do you need to be available for correcting? Am considering applying to correct German papers of dates suits. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Hi. Quick question. What dates do you need to be available for correcting? Am considering applying to correct German papers of dates suits. Thanks

26 days from the marking conference. Check date of conference, but at a guess you will need last week in June and 3 in July.
    If you have never corrected before, it is a valuable experience (not talking about the money) and well worth doing for your professional development.

Thank you. Unfortunately that won’t work for me so as I am not available until 13th July but I will contact the SEC anyway to check.

If you drive to the conference from your home address in Dublin do they automatically include the overnight accommodation allowance in your pay or do you have to show a receipt for how much you spent on accommodation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you drive to the conference from your home address in Dublin do they automatically include the overnight accommodation allowance in your pay or do you have to show a receipt for how much you spent on accommodation?

You don't need to submit the receipt, just be over the designated distance from the conference centre. I always keep the receipts, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Surprised the media haven't picked up on this yet. They tend to have a field day in late June and send parents into overdrive calling teachers lazy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

Just wondering if anyone could tell me when JC HL marking conference is on? My plans have changed and I won’t be away until later in July now. Considering sending a late form in if dates suit.
    Thanks

Different subjects are different dates.

Regardless of what conference you want to go to, if you’re not available by by the end of the first week in July, I’d say you can forget about it.
    I could be wrong but I doubt there’ll be anything after the 6th.

Edit to say I could be talking out of my arse there. I’m basing it on the fact that my main subject is usually one of the later exams and the conference is never later than the first week in July but it also has a very high uptake so that might necessitate an earlier than average conference. It would be a surprise to me if there are conferences in the second week of July but there could be for all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

Thanks, have corrected JCHL in past. Conference is usually fairly early and corrections finished by mid July. It’s June dates was wondering about. Can ring SEC to find out- they may not even need anyone for it at this stage but might be worth a shot!

Hello. Does anyone know when the Leaving Cert and Junior Cert German conferences are?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hello. Does anyone know when the Leaving Cert and Junior Cert German conferences are?

When I did it, it was always first week of July. Just checked, last time I did it, conference was 3rd and 4th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Not all conferences have been on yet. No word about how they filled vacancies but I imagine some experienced examiners will be getting extra papers in their subject if they are that stuck. Is it the same media speculation as every year or has it got even worse ? I wonder whether the SEC releases this news to the media in order to get people do it( free publicity), adds a bit of pressure on those considering doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Bell curve ...$%%$%$$ right off...

And breathe again :-)

• Advertisement

Ah the bell curve. Summer fun for all examiners !

Advertisement