Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I hope people don't think I'm trolling, it really is raining at Grange, Dublin 13.

I believe you. As I’m looking out the window.

D13 here too. Lashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Just stuck my head out the window, and to be honest I'm not sure if it's lightly raining or there's some very fine snow falling. It's -3 here so probably too cold for rain, but it feels like light rain. Also way darker than last night. Wind is dying down again. Very confused. Tipp/Kilkenny border. On the plus side I just had Christmas pudding whilst listening to Christmas FM, and I have the wine chilling in the fridge. Might not be getting the epic weather here, but definitely enjoying ourselves none the less.

Its similar here (North West KK)
    So much darker than last few nights. Clouds heavier, but holding back for now. Just a light snow, but wind picking up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Whatever is falling in Dublin 16 has added 2cm in the last hour or so! -1.1c atm.

Snow cover (on the level) was down to 10cm at around 6pm. Now 12cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Very fine snow/dust been falling for last 30 mins in Greystones, its like flour from a sieve if that makes sense. Started off almost like fine rain. Wind noticeably picked up also. Next 2 -3 hours will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is barometric the best way to track Emma or the rainfall radar ? Whenever these events arrive there doesn't seem a way to track them in real or close to real time ? The radar is showing precip from the East but Emma is supposed to be moving up from the South ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Getting bananas out there in D9. For how tiny the snow grains are its building up well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I hope people don't think I'm trolling, it really is raining at Grange, Dublin 13.

I am a mile from you and its snowing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Graupel turning to snow now in D7. It's lashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Minister wrote: »
    Rain here in Waterford. Possibly end of snow spell. Nothing more than a gentle breeze either.

I am not trolling; just commenting on how it feels when I stand outside my house.

Definitely not the end of snow spell by any means. Wait and see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Loughc wrote: »
    I believe you. As I’m looking out the window.

D13 here too. Lashing.

Can you run out with a fleece and check! I would be interested what happens! SryanB, you too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Paully D wrote: »
    Here we go!

dc70c015f686e5f38d7a4be992fbba58.png

The weather radar is completely bloody nuts for Kildare today. Super frustrating as Met Eireann radar is accurate but slow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

All these conflicting precipitation reports from areas so close together in dublin! This is so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

Anyone worried about rain reports that relate to the leading edge of this system be rest assured that when the main bands of precip hit it will definitely be snow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can you run out with a fleece and check! I would be interested what happens! SryanB, you too!

Will a picture of rain on the window suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Calibos wrote: »
    Forget about whether it will turn to rain tomorrow on the south coast. Can anyone explain why reports are starting to come in from some boardies that rain is falling. Cobh in Cork and Walkinstown in Dublin are two examples?

Dark Sky earlier was saying rain would fall. I asked about that on these forums and it was thought that it would be snow, not rain. The snow is very fine. Maybe people think they are seeing rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Been lightly snowing in Sligo town for at least 1.5 hours. Someone tell me the rain in Dublin might turn to snow here in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Not a lot happening in cork in the last few hours. Blinds are open ready to see it all unfold. Looks like we got a bit of an upgrade. While I'm excited Im also suddenly worried that we will lose power and water. I didint get much in the way of supplies and don't have any back up water if the pipes freeze. I'm going to open the attic hatch to get a bit of heat up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Back to fine snow in Walkinstown

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I'm in D18 too, absolutely not rain here, the roads have turned white after being slush all day

The roads in D14 have gone white after being slush since at least 4 or 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

It’s very very fine snowy, haily rainyish now in Gorey. Just swirling around in the wind

We got a decent enough cover earlier but doesn’t seem to be built upon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

If its ice pellets they will melt on the window with the heat leaking from you home / apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Fine dusting of snow now in near Mallow in North Cork :)

Anyone worried about rain reports that relate to the leading edge of this system be rest assured that when the main bands of precip hit it will definitely be snow.

This is what I needed to here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

For what it's worth, my window is soaking wet.

One side of it is is -2 degrees

The other side is +21 degrees.

The air in between the panes can only do so much, it's not going to stay frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I'm currently in Ballincollig (Country Cork) and while it's cold and getting dark, there are children playing outside in some snow.

We closed office at 1400 following the red weather alert and nothing so far, no fresh snow since this morning and there is not even the slightest wind around.

From the news and panic, one would think the day after tomorrow would arrive but nope it's calm.

I got promised 60 cm of snow, I want my snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

We will be buried in naas if this continues

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Minister wrote: »
    Rain here in Waterford. Possibly end of snow spell. Nothing more than a gentle breeze either.

I am not trolling; just commenting on how it feels when I stand outside my house.

Its not rain..very fine snow.. if it was rain it would be taking the snow from cars etc ... and in fact the wind has picked up over the last half hour.. well it has where I am suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

a good 1.5cm added to snow depth here in last 2 hours, more like normal snow now but still small flakes with grains mixed in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

I don't think today should have been 'written off'.. And it wasn't, transport, schools yes for obvious reasons..
    But overall it's been a well thought almost military approach by met eireann.
    And i think they made the right call, the red warning was subtly and calmly put to the nation and heeded by most, and those people who had to where then able to go about and do the necessary things that had to be done.

Couldn't agree more.

For most parts today was pretty bad weather wise. Imagine throwing normal work day into this and then public transport stopping and the chaos of the roads. It feels like nothing because for the most part it's gone off without a hitch.

Emergency services have access to almost all routes.
    People aren't out putting themselves in danger (I've no doubt someone jumped off the board at salthill today!)
    Bar the bad weather and lack of shops etc there is no 'drama'

Advertisement